Problems re-connecting my ecodan

• 10 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

has anyone found a solution to the ‘long standing problem’ of getting their ecodan to re-connct to the internet through wi-fi, using the WPS button on a BT Router? also; has anyone modified their ecodan controler, by adding an ethernet connection?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

WPS is broken, unreliable and insecure. It’s best to stop using it completely unless you want someone to hack your network.

BT doesn’t care either I’m afraid - I’ve yelled at ISPs before about their terrible firmware, which is why I use my own kit instead (still wish I’d destroyed my EE BrightBox in a more creative way than chucking it under a lorry).

Also, more and more routers (other than the cheapo ISP ones) are slowly phasing out support for WPS as it’s no longer developed. I wouldn’t recommend relying on it sticking around for much longer.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does ‘your own kit’ connect your ecodan to the internet? Is it wirelee or ethernet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I don’t have an Ecodan myself. However, my network runs on Ubiquiti UniFi kit with a UniFi Dream Machine running the show and DrayTek Vigor 130 modem to act as a bridge between the UDM and the wall socket (the DrayTek Vigor 166 is the newer version - get that rather than the 130). This lets me use my own kit freely with any ISP of my choice and runs both wired and wireless - the biggest advantage being that I can expand my network setup freely based on what I want from it.

Please be aware that Ubiquiti UniFi DOES NOT support WPS though - which is actually a good thing.

I’d probably suggest trying to find a way to connect your Ecodan to Wi-Fi without WPS, or a way to make it run on Ethernet.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s what I thought. Do you know of any sucessful alternatives, like ethernet/a parts list/wiring diagram(s)/etc

I am going to stick with my BT/EE set up, I’ve had no probs. in the past. Thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid it’s probably not just a case of soldering an Ethernet port onto the board - the firmware would probably have to be modified as well.

That’s a bit beyond what 99% of the userbase on the OVO Forum can help with I’m afraid, and I don’t know anyone who’s done this. Try on an electronics/networking forum - someone there might know.

Userlevel 1
Badge

JUST TRYING ‘LONG SHOTS’ AT PRESENT. WAITING ON ECODAN ENGINEER TO VISIT HERE NEXT WEEK. Thank goodness we have heating & hot water, its just we can’t manage settings other than on main control panel, which is OK I guess.

Many thanks for your input, all we need is for Mitsubishi to get their head(s) out of the sand, and accept there is a problem with their interface arrangement and move on fixing it.

Thanks again

Userlevel 7

Keep us updated on your progress following the engineer appointment, this could help other community members with similar issues @p.robinson969

Userlevel 1
Badge

I most certainly will keep you ‘posted’ on my propgress toward a resolution. At the moment, I am going to take advantage of the break in the weather, together with my little Spaniel (Twist) for a walk down our local river (Wear) & count Salmon in the pools - nothing better for de-stressing! - Twist and nature that is!

Userlevel 1
Badge

*Edited by Mod*

Hi Peter,

Hope you had a good weekend and you’re keeping well.

First of all, I am glad to acknowledge (based on feedback we have received from your installers) that your heating and hot water system is working fine, especially during the cold snap the whole country has experienced over the past few weeks.

Regarding your thoughts on the WiFi Interface, I appreciate you spent some time to identify alternative ways to connect it to the interent. We value your feedback and would certanily take it into consideration for further product development. It is vital for us to collect feedback from our end users and use it, in order to expand our service offering and offer more flexibility to our customers.

As a multinational organisation, there are certain processes to be followed before we can offer additional functionality or connectivity options which were not previously approved by us. Our factories would require to conduct necessary testing to ensure feasibility, work closely with our national product management teams to ensure compliance with each country’s standards and regulations before we can move to the implementation stage. In other words, a solution that might appear to be a simple yes/no answer, would require a lot of work on the background by the manufacturer to ensure feasibility, compliance with regulations and applicability before it can become available.

That said, please rest assured that I will raise this with our most appropriate product management team to explore feasibility and I will reach out to you once I have any updates.

In the meantime, I would recommend you to lean on your installers who can get further assistance from our After-sales Technical Helpdesk team to resolve the issue you expereince and connect your system to the internet.

Thanks once again for you thoughts and feedback, which is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Iasonas

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your reply Iasonas, all duly noted, and I am looking forward to your ‘most appropriate product management team’s’ findings/proposals, with regard to re-connecting our Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP, to the internet.

I agree that I/we should keep our Installer (Marvel Heating Ltd.) ‘in the loop’ regarding the reinstatement of anything ‘reliable’ as an internet connection.

I also take your point as to the amount of work (cost) involved to develop/improve on the current wireless arrangement. That being said Iasonas, (in my limited engineering experience of 60years), the current wireless connection such as that adopted here as the interface between our Ecodan ASHP, is a problem waiting to happen, (again)! – even if Marvel managed to establish a connection wirelessly, (and I have every faith that, if possible, they will), any repeat interruption to the internet here, will again, result in another ‘breakdown in communications’ between your equipment(s).

As mentioned previously, in other conversations, this is not a problem just limited to myself only, but potentially could extend back and into the wider community. I refer you here again, to:

https://search.brave.com/search?q=+replace+wi-fi+on+ecodan+ASHP+with+ethernet+connection&source=web

Specifically in relation to the OVO Forum, who, I’m sure, will be monitoring these developments closely.

I am sure that Mitsubishi Ecodan, will not attempt to ‘shy-away’ from what is clearly their responsibility, and, whilst drawing a comparison to a similar issue that might arise within their automotive division:-

They would be ‘all over’ this, to sort it, let alone from the PR side, but also to maintain their ‘reputation’.

I know that we didn’t loose heating and all of those involved did their utmost, and I commend them for that.

I dread to think what situation we all could have been in, with us, here, in the middle of Upper Weardale, without a paddle!

Moving forward, and picking up my glass, ‘half full’ again; I won’t toast you yet, and will wait to have you let me know what your intentions are, both short and long term, with regard to the issues here, at HI-Ghyll, in particular, and to any similar issues in general.

Finally, I would like to commend your Callum Jackson, for the professional and confident manner in which he conducted himself throughout the initial proceedings, and please give him a ‘well done’ from me.

I look forward to working with you to resolve this issue.

Kind Regards

*Edited by Mod*

Userlevel 1
Badge

I ask all OVO Forum members NOT to use any of the above emails to raise any personal issues.

PLEASE, everything through the OVO Forum

many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, it’s a requirement of the Wi-Fi Specification and Wi-Fi Standards that anything capable of connecting via WPS also supports the passphrase method of WPA2-PSK. Clients can support the Passphrase method but opt-out of WPS if the manufacturer so wishes, but not the other way round.

Likewise, supporting WPS at all is completely optional - manufacturers of both AP and Client can opt to not include WPS at all if they don’t want to support it.

Strictly speaking, your Ecodan is non-compliant with the spec and therefore isn’t Wi-Fi Certified.

The fix is easy - just add the missing functionality in future firmware updates.