end of economy 7?

• 5 January 2024
  • 7 replies

What will happen to night storage heating when E7 gets phased out in 2030? I have the older Dimplex storage heaters and was considering moving to Dimplex Quantum HHR heaters but if E7 not available will there there still be an equivalent off peak tariff offered or should I change all heaters to electric radiators on regular tariff?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m not aware of E7 being totally phased out. Source?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I found it. I see that it’s related to the last coal power station shutting down.

Long story short, I’d start thinking about ripping out any Night Storage Heaters and would probably recommend AGAINST installing new ones at this point.

Yes you found the source. Maybe this is why one provider has teamed up with Dimplex to produce a Quantum tariff to secure the long term future of Dimplex storage heaters. But electric cars charging at night will compete with storage heaters meaning there is no longer an off peak anymore. I know someone who has converted their house from storage heaters to electric heaters single tariff so I will monitor their experience before I commit either way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s also why OVO has tariff Add-Ons that can take advantage of Off-Peak times outside of the “traditional” midnight to 7am period. Those are not only more Off-Peak, but can take advantage of ALL renewable sources running at any given time.

That tariff British Gas developed however… I don’t personally agree with that. It’s a Vendor Lock-In trick because you’d lose the deal if you left. And I don’t like Vendor Lock-Ins of that type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m not so sure that E7 is disappearing. The THTC version is but that’s another story. 
The last coal fired power station in the UK is due to be decommissioned towards the end of 2024 so I don’t understand any tie in with that. 
Time of Use tariffs are becoming smarter and while these may not have an ‘economy’ tag, they will provide off peak pricing for storage type of heating 

Userlevel 1

Might be worth you investigating a heat pump, running cost would be substancially less with a 3-4.5 kW of heat harvested from air outside for every 1kW of electricity used.

A bit of a learning curve in terms of usage etc but could be very beneficial, esprciall with OVO 15p/kWh 24 hour a day pricing

Air Source Heat Pumps | OVO Energy

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Couldn’t agree more in terms of heat pump v direct electric heating. If you could find the funds to install of course. With completely new rads and correctly sized pipework it could be very efficient. The alternative could be air to air (ie cooling and heating) cheaper to install, may need planning permission and no grant (as yet but maybe in the future??).