Solved

Ecodan FTC- Had a nightmare trying to balance the house temperature?

• 4 December 2023
  • 47 replies

Badge
  • Carbon Cutter****
  • 13 replies

Hi all,

I’ve just bought a new build with a Ecodan FTC. I have had a nightmare trying to balance the house temps. Too cold. Now too hot. 
I tried the weather comp but my numbers were way out. Downstairs was ok but upstairs was far too cold. 
Yesterday I changed to auto temp which wacked the flow rate up to 45 and in turn got the upstairs to temp (although downstairs is now tropical!)

My understanding is that the auto temp on the Ecodan uses the room temp to make flow adjustments. My issue is that the room temp on the Ecodan is reading like 8 degrees. I imagine this is why it was just flat out all day long.

I see you can change the sensor to be either the FTC which it is set at and no doubt where the temp of 8 is being read from, or the TH1 to use a wireless controller.

This is where I need help. There is a wireless unit attached but I am not sure if this is the correct thing. Used to connect the app.

How can I get the actual house temp to the Ecodan FTC to take advantage of the auto temp feature?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by juliamc 4 December 2023, 15:53

View original

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you post a photo of the controller screen?

Badge

Badge

Can you post a photo of the controller screen?

I have now changed back to weather comp because £20 a day for hearing is not really in scope! :)

This is how it was setup from the installer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This video shows how to get to the thermistor readings, does it help explain anything?

Badge

This video shows how to get to the thermistor readings, does it help explain anything?

Thanks. I will give it a look. 
when I changed the sensor to TH1 instead of MAIN RC the reading was -20

Will take a look tonight and post back what I find. 

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think you’re way ahead of me with your controls, I have a Daikin so I’m not familiar with your system. However I’ve been wondering if the wireless sensor you’re using on TH1 either is faulty or is not set up correctly? I’m assuming the controller panel is giving a correct temperature reading around 8 or 9 degrees because it’s in a garage or similar unheated space, hence needing the wireless sensor? If you have another thermometer you can confirm both the controller temp and the wireless temp that would confirm a bit more about what’s going on. Then you could place the wireless sensor alongside the controller panel and check if the readings correspond, ie the wireless should show 8 or 9 deg. 
There is this section in settings to adjust the thermistors - this might show if anything odd has been set up.

Badge

so…..

I can see that TH1A is the sensor reporting the value shown as the room temp.

In the video, the guy says TH7 reads the outside temp. This is also shown on the MelCloud app

So, not sure where the 12 is being read from. Maybe the FTC has a built in thermister.

I guess the question is how to use the actual house temp

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes I’m sure there’s a thermistor in there, is the FTC in the house or somewhere unheated? Ie at 12 degrees.

Badge

The FTC is on the boiler in the garage. The sensor is set to read from MAIN RC which I assume is the FTC. 
Odd it was set up like this. Target temp of 30 with no sensor in the house. Surely it would just be hitting max flow temp 24/7

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is the remote controller in this video the wireless thing you have ?

Badge

No, I was referring to this. Which now I read the description is nothing to do with it. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do you have a wireless receiver like this wired into the system ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you do have the receiver in prev pic but haven’t been supplied with a remote controller with a temperature sensor for your system maybe the installer never left one at all for your new house or someone’s walked off with it ! I’d get onto the installer asap !! Meanwhile you could set the system up temporarily on a fixed flow (not recommended long term) which would stop the house overheating. Maybe around 35 degrees to start with and adjust using the controller in the garage. 

Badge

Yeah, i do not have anytthing like that.

Must be reading directly from the FTC.

Now I set the weather curve to how they reccomend which has sorted out the overall temp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So is it ignoring the garage temp and just working with an outdoor sensor ?

Badge

Honestly, I don’t know. I can see the flow and return thermistor. I can see one on the tank thermistors and I gather the outside ten is taken from the ashp. 
TH1A and THW5B are however a mystery. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looking through a service manual for Ecodan it seems that TH1A is the room sensor for Zone 1, which suggests you don’t have a sensor for your Zone 2 as there’s no TH1B. However as in your photos it was reading 12 deg, the same as the garage temp I’d say that wasn’t much use at all !

THW5 is supposed to be the hot water tank sensor, but as you have A and B maybe you have two sensors on the tank ?

TH7 is the temperature at the outdoor unit so that’s driving the Weather curve okay, but I think you ought to have a separate remote sensor so that you can operate Auto Adapt. I suppose it’s not lurking in the garage somewhere ? That 12 deg reading is coming from somewhere !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looking through a service manual for Ecodan it seems that TH1A is the room sensor for Zone 1, which suggests you don’t have a sensor for your Zone 2 as there’s no TH1B. However as in your photos it was reading 12 deg, the same as the garage temp I’d say that wasn’t much use at all !

THW5 is supposed to be the hot water tank sensor, but as you have A and B maybe you have two sensors on the tank ?

TH7 is the temperature at the outdoor unit so that’s driving the Weather curve okay, but I think you ought to have a separate remote sensor so that you can operate Auto Adapt. I suppose it’s not lurking in the garage somewhere ? That 12 deg reading is coming from somewhere !!

THW5A is the upper sensor on the hot water tank

THW5B is the lower sensor on the hot water tank

TH1A will be the temperature in the garage as that is where the FTC is in the setup unfortunately so auto adaption is never going to work currently as the FTC isn't inside the house. So will have to use either weather compensation or fixed flow for now at least.

Looks like there is only 1 Zone for the whole home.

If there are radiators everywhere you could try rebalancing.

I assume there are no TRVs Thermostatic Radiator Valves on the radiators 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nice ! Why does the controller have Z1 and Z2 if there’s only one zone ? Would you think it was worth getting a remote controller to allow using Auto Adapt ?

Badge

Its UFH both floors with wifi stats in every room.

Frustrating it was set as room adapt when it was never going to work. Told never need to touch it =/

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nice ! Why does the controller have Z1 and Z2 if there’s only one zone ? Would you think it was worth getting a remote controller to allow using Auto Adapt ?

It really needs someone with an ecodan to provide some more thoughts and questions for @razor to take back to the builder I think.

If not via this forum then these folk are very helpful, just be prepared for lots of questions and feedback on the setup.

https://renewableheatinghub.co.uk/forums

Badge

Does anyone have experience enough to know if it is worth setting up the wireless controller for £170 to use as the room temp mode thermistor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Does anyone have experience enough to know if it is worth setting up the wireless controller for £170 to use as the room temp mode thermistor?

Having a wireless controller always helps as then auto adaption is an option as it needs to know the indoor temperature which it currently appears you don't from the little we know so far. Other than the temperature in your garage.

However I think you need to somehow get a good understanding of what you have and what needs tweaking overall

You should be able to get the system working reasonably smoothly with weather compensation. I would personally focus on that first. For example the large difference in temperature upstairs and downstairs should be fixable without the wireless controller while using weather compensation. Weather compensation doesn't use an indoor thermistor.

You mention WiFi stats in every room. What are they?

Badge

Thanks,

I also just noticed this on my energy report. Either I have the most efficient ASHP ever or something here is wrong?