Solved

I had an agreement with my previous supplier but it's not been carried over to OVO, what can I do?

• 5 February 2024
  • 15 replies

Back when SSE were the supplier before OVO took over from them,i agreed to changed my gas from fixed rate to pay as you go and pay of the remaining debt ,i have confirmation letters saying welcome to pay as you go but since summer 2018 no one has came out to change my gas over, same thing november 2018 sent out letters after i agreed again on phone to change it to pay as you go its now febuary 2024 and still no one has came out to change the gas over to pay as you go and now im in quite abit of debt close to 3k now im being passed over to debt collection agency's this whole process has been a nightmare , personely i think they should clear the debt as i agreed to pay as you go and they are the ones at fauly for agreeing to switch me over but not actually doing anything. 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 6 February 2024, 10:58

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Chris84,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Is your meter currently a smart meter? If so, they should be able to remotely change it to pay as you go. If not, you’ll need to book in a meter exchange first. I think the issue may be arising from you maybe having one meter that’s smart and another that isn’t. 

Whether the meter is pay monthly or pay as you go, you’d still be expected to pay for your energy use. 

I think the best thing to do would be to reach out to the collections team, they’ll be able to sort out a repayment plan for you. The support team should be able to get a meter appointment booked, as your electricity meter is pay as you go, you’ll need to contact their support team: 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

We’re here to offer you more support. Please visit this page for more information. 

If you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.
​​​

• Citizens Advice - visit your local branch, or their websites: for England and Wales and for Scotland. You can speak to an advisor online, in person, or over the phone: 0800 144 8848 (England), 0800 702 2020 (Wales), and 0800 028 1456 (Scotland). 
  • National Debtline - call 0808 808 4000 or visit their website.
  • Step Change Debt Charity - call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website. 
  • Civil Legal Advice - call 0845 345 4 345 for free, confidential legal advice in England and Wales, if you’re eligible for legal aid. Find out if you are here.

i disagree because i agreed when the debt was at £300 to pay it back via pay as you go and the energy company has failed to do what they promised 4 times and still failing to do, oh well the circus continues.

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry you’ve had such a stressful experience @Chris84, there is the option to raise a complaint. You can find out the details of our complaint procedure on the website. 

COMPLAINT (so far been ignored)

SSE have admitted fault "an error on their system" yet want to take me to court over an "unpaid bill" it confirmed on a call that it HAD been paid when I moved out of the property in 2021. 

I now have a CCJ on my file BECAUSE of their mistake! 

I'm in the process of applying for a rental property and have failed referencing due to this. 

I have evidence that my final bill was in fact paid and after going to a the Financial Ombudsman (who also agreed I shouldn't have to pay anything) it seems the company do not and will not deal with my complaint. I requested all information under the Freedom of Information Act and DSAR as I have a right to see what they have on my account and an agent has literally typed in the notes: "if customer calls in DO NOT DISCUSS ACCOUNT" ?!?!? 

This company has brought me nothing but stress and anxiety, even now 3 years later. If I owed the money, it would have been paid. But I will not be intimated by debt collections and a court order when I DO NOT OWE A PENNY. I'm now seeking legal proceedings against the company as this needs to be resolved once and for all. 

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them or have any advice, please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Coles94 ,

Sending this backstage - please wait for an update.

Hi @Coles94 ,

Sending this backstage - please wait for an update.

Thank you for your prompt response. When can I expect an update? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Most likely tomorrow 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Coles94,

I’m sorry to read about the experience that you’ve endured so far. 

I have asked our Forum_Support team to reach out to you so they can help further with this. Look out for a private message here soon. 

Hi, can I get an update, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please check https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview - there may be a message waiting for you. That’s the best place to handle this matter.

Thanks for your response, however, there's still mo reply. 

As you can see, it's a matter of urgency in getting this investigated and resolved! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s only a small team that runs that inbox. They’ll reach out when they can.

Appreciate your help but due to past experience in this matter, I've been told this several times and nothing gets done so I will be posting on here regularly until I can see there is progress and someone is actually trying to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Doing that won’t speed up response times. The team that runs Forum_Support usually reaches out again either when they need more info from you, or have an update to share.

If you want an update in the meantime, ask for it in the PM thread - not here.

Thanks, I've done both.