I had an agreement with my previous supplier but it's not been carried over to OVO, what can I do?

  • 5 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Back when SSE were the supplier before OVO took over from them,i agreed to changed my gas from fixed rate to pay as you go and pay of the remaining debt ,i have confirmation letters saying welcome to pay as you go but since summer 2018 no one has came out to change my gas over, same thing november 2018 sent out letters after i agreed again on phone to change it to pay as you go its now febuary 2024 and still no one has came out to change the gas over to pay as you go and now im in quite abit of debt close to 3k now im being passed over to debt collection agency's this whole process has been a nightmare , personely i think they should clear the debt as i agreed to pay as you go and they are the ones at fauly for agreeing to switch me over but not actually doing anything. 


Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 6 February 2024, 10:58

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Chris84,


Sorry for the issues you’re having,


Is your meter currently a smart meter? If so, they should be able to remotely change it to pay as you go. If not, you’ll need to book in a meter exchange first. I think the issue may be arising from you maybe having one meter that’s smart and another that isn’t. 


Whether the meter is pay monthly or pay as you go, you’d still be expected to pay for your energy use. 


I think the best thing to do would be to reach out to the collections team, they’ll be able to sort out a repayment plan for you. The support team should be able to get a meter appointment booked, as your electricity meter is pay as you go, you’ll need to contact their support team: 


How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account


  • The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.


We’re here to offer you more support. Please visit this page for more information

If you or anyone in your household is vulnerable, or just needs a little extra assistance at a difficult time in your lives, our Priority Services Register is a free support service you might find useful.

Struggling with your energy bills? Our Winter Support Package might be helpful to you.

  • Citizens Advice - visit your local branch, or their websites: for England and Wales and for Scotland. You can speak to an advisor online, in person, or over the phone: 0800 144 8848 (England), 0800 702 2020 (Wales), and 0800 028 1456 (Scotland). 
  • National Debtline - call 0808 808 4000 or visit their website.
  • Step Change Debt Charity - call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website
  • Civil Legal Advice - call 0845 345 4 345 for free, confidential legal advice in England and Wales, if you’re eligible for legal aid. Find out if you are here.


i disagree because i agreed when the debt was at £300 to pay it back via pay as you go and the energy company has failed to do what they promised 4 times and still failing to do, oh well the circus continues.

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry you’ve had such a stressful experience @Chris84, there is the option to raise a complaint. You can find out the details of our complaint procedure on the website