bill on pay as you go

• 20 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I have a pay as you go key meter. It was installed after a faulty pay as you go smart meter was removed a year ago. I think that Ovo didn’t register this new meter on my account despite several emails and web chats regarding this. Earlier this year I started getting emails saying my meter was faulty and I contacted ovo to be told my meter was ok. Then I got an email saying if I didn’t get my meter replaced I would get a bill for over £700. Again I spoke to ovo and explained I pay for my electricity with a key meter in advance and was then emailed by someone from customer service who didn’t answer my response. Next thing I get a letter saying welcome to ovo and on Monday I received a bill for £789! This is very worrying considering I have a pay as you go meter to prevent exactly this happening! 

Now I have been told that my pay as you go key meter is faulty and that it will be replaced by a smart meter. I have been topping up with a key for a year now up to and over £200 a month. An ovo operator asked today if I had kept the receipts but I thought that wasn’t necessary because I was under the impression that if you got the key topped up and put it in the meter you got the electricity you paid for and if you didn’t then you effectively got cut off. Now I’m perhaps facing a massive debt through no fault of my own and looks like I might be paying twice for the electric I have used. Also I’m supposed to be on economy 7 to run my storage heaters and hot water but I’m one of the radio teleswitch customers. The last time I had a smart meter it would not work with pay as you go and economy 7. It also stopped connecting with SSE at the time and I was told it was because I’m in a rural area. This was why after a year long fight the current key meter was installed. It looks like I’m being forced back into the same situation again. I don’t want to pay monthly by direct debit and I have been told I can have a pay as you go smart meter but I’m concerned that it will just stop working again or that my hot water will stop working as it did the last time. Can anyone please advise?

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hey @Flora48,

I’m really sorry to hear this, it sounds like a stressful situation to be in. 

It’s tough being one of the customers with an RTS meter, & we’ve seen a few community members affected by this on the forum, but there has been movement in this area:

So there may be a solution for your meter type very soon, meaning you can have a smart meter & bills that aren’t estimated. 

In regards to the estimated bill based on the faulty meter, the support team should be able to put your account on hold until you get your meter replaced. The charges can then be re-adjusted based on the usage information of the newly installed meter. 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost