Tutorial

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 5
@robinj Argh - not sure what happened there! I've just tried again - has it worked?

^Lucy
I've have an issue with my short term memory, makes most ordinary things quite complex (Checking re-checking etc). Since being with OVO I have been wondering what the point of asking about (Credit Hoarding that seems to be the norm here)...

"Its in case your usage increases in winter" ... Yeah like I decide to heat the whole block with an electric 3 bar heater, and install a heated swimming pool maybe... I fail to see how my 65 Watt TV 20 Watt stereo and 4 x 9 Watt low energy lamps equate to high usage during the 16 hour winter months.

But hey what do I know was only an electrician for about 20 years im sure a lot has changed in the 8 or so years since i stopped...

Just wondered if anyone could help me get my head round it
Oh...
I did say about my memory right...

The other thing is the smart meter ain't working its not sending readings and I can't edit the meter in my profile either..... Really whats the point....
Hi was just wondering when i moved into my house i was quoted £62 a month DD which seemed about right but now i am being asked to increase my DD to £207 which is a ridiculous price jump i just submited my first a meter reading and was asked to confirm the electricity as it seemed too low will this changed the amount?
my latest statement does not include direct debit Why
Hi,

I have had my smart meter installed in Jan 2019. I am still getting charged the same set direct debit amount every month. I was under the impression that after the smart meter is installed, OVO will get the meter readings automatically and I will be charged with the actual billing amount instead of estimated amount.

I thought It might be because I was in the first month but it is still the same amount even after 2 months of installing the smart meters. I do not want any surprise left over bill at the end of my contract because I believe I have definitely used more than the estimated amount in the first couple of months.

Please advise.
I'd like to know how frequently Ovo reviews the energy usage throughout a year, to ensure the DD payments are appropriate, whether too much or too little
Userlevel 5
Hey @102123180 amd @BelB - I've moved your posts over here where you can find lots more info about Direct Debits.
Userlevel 5
Hi @faraz,

If you’re a Pay monthly customer in a fixed contract, you’ll pay for your energy by a Direct Debit. This is set up when you first join, and although we do our best to calculate the right amount using the information provided, there is a chance that your usage may increase/decrease over time and may mean the amount needs to change.

We’ll review your Direct Debit amount regularly. If it’s looks like you’re using more/less energy than we anticipated, we’ll suggest a change in the payment amount. This is to make sure you don't end up with a debt balance at the end of your fixed contract.

Having a smart meter fitted wouldn't change this. You pay your Direct Debit at the start of your billing month, and then at the end of your billing cycle we collect a reading from the smart meter, and create a bill to exactly the amount of gas and electricity you've used, and take this out of your balance. With a traditional meter, you'd need to provide a reading the day before your bill, or we would estimate if this was not received.

Hope this helps!
Does the recommended DD incorporate any positive balance in the account into the calculations? Or is it based solely on payments needed to cover outgoings in any particular year?
Userlevel 5
Hi @101057797 - I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find more information about Direct Debit calculations. Check out the link @Lucy_OVO's first post.
Hello

According to my energy consumption already used and predicted it shows that my current direct debit amount is correct. Currently I'm £158 in debit which as we've just come out of the winter months you'd expect. Yet Ovo are asking me to increase my direct debit by £42 per month. Why, I don't understand the logic. Surely it will even itself out.
Userlevel 5
Hey @Frontfiringspeakers - I've moved your post onto this topic where you can find loads of info on Direct Debit calculations 🙂
Can you please send me a link to where you've posted my question.

Thank you
Userlevel 7
Hello

According to my energy consumption already used and predicted it shows that my current direct debit amount is correct. Currently I'm £158 in debit which as we've just come out of the winter months you'd expect. Yet Ovo are asking me to increase my direct debit by £42 per month. Why, I don't understand the logic. Surely it will even itself out.Can you please send me a link to where you've posted my question.

Thank you

They are both here, by my replying to you, you should get a link to this topic.....

Hope that helps!

Darran
I would like ti increase my DD by £18 rather than OVO's recommended £30 more minimum.
Why can't I do that as it's my money their using?
Userlevel 6
Please see the above thread, @jrm, you'll find all the info you need.☺️

I’ve set up my account and added my meter readings, but when I go to ‘Payments’ to set up a Direct Debit it comes up with a ‘Something went Wrong’ message - any ideas?

How do I pay my bill without a DD?

Userlevel 6

You’ll need to contact our team, @JackParry, regarding setting up a new Direct Debit or they’ll be able to set you up as a manual payer.

You’d need to call the team to do this, you reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

I have been advised to increase my direct debits due to a temporary higher usage over summer which has now been discontinued. I can’t afford to increase by what they’ve advised and my account is in credit so am happy to increase it slightly but the website won’t let me put in my own amount. I don’t want to call as will lose benefits. How can I solve this? 

Userlevel 6

Welcome to the forum, @Shwild, I’ve popped your post here, there’s a host of handy info above that may be of some use. 

Please reach out to our team, this won’t impact your self service reward, as you mentioned there was a temporary uplift of usage in the summer. 

You can send us a message on FacebookTwitter and our Help Centre has online chat, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063. 

Thanks!  

Userlevel 2

A few days ago I increased my direct,is ok to increase it again after such a short while.

Userlevel 5

That would be fine, @Derek Higgs! :)

Userlevel 2

Thanks Eva,sorted.

OVO undertook my energy supply in January following the demise of Economy Energy. No charges were made by OVO until my contract commenced in April. At that time I agreed a monthly direct debit of £85. Because no charges were made during the period of January to April my account was in deficit. In October I made a top up payment of £300 to put the account in credit. In November OVO advised that my Direct Debit should be increased to £142. They are now forcing me to increase to £131 per month even though my account is in credit. OVO predict that my annual energy cost will be £1,168 (this predicted amount reduces each month). I consider that their assumptions relating to energy consumption are incorrect and over stated and will result in over payment ant the end of my contract. I would prefer to make top up payments if the account goes in to deficit.