Solved

Economy 7- All appliances connected to my off peak aren't working

• 29 April 2024
  • 4 replies

• New Member***
  • 1 reply

I had a new smart meter fitted (around October 2023) after moving over to OVO because when I switched from EDF to OVO for some reason my off-peak stopped working and I had an issues with the Economy 7 tariff. Since that emergency appointment my off -peak came back around 11:30pm during autumn/winter off peak times and it has been working.

All appliances connected to the off-peak rate circuit were always ON instead of turning on and off during rate changes. As mentioned above OVO sent an engineer that supposedly fixed our issue. 

All appliances connected to the off-peak rate circuit are now all OFF during both peak and off-peak hours. I waited till 1am on 29- April -2024 to see if my heating would come on as even during peak times my booster switch was placed on and didn’t boost anything in regards to my hot water.

Our heating system consists of storage heaters which are all connected to this off-peak circuit so we are now effectively without heating. But if I turn on the peak switch on my storage heaters it works. 

After reading some questions in the forum I came to the conclusion that our problem is probably due to a misconfiguration of our smart meter that could be fixed remotely by OVO, specifically the ECAUL and ALCS config via SMETS commands.

icon

Best answer by Ama 29 April 2024, 12:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ama , your conclusion may be correct and if so you will need to ask customer support to get those commands sent for you (no one here has access to your account).

It does sound odd that it had been working with your current meter though. I’m not sure that we’ve noticed another similar switch. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I agree with BP that this is the most likely cause and remedy, but it would have helped to see a clear photo of the meter showing both its display screen and the wires connected to it. Your mention of an 11:30 PM start time suggests that you’re in one of the outlying regions - where are you in the country? The timings are set by the DNO.

As you said, the ECAUL request is sent remotely, so there’s nothing a visiting engineer can do different from what you can do yourself: get Support to ask the Smart team to send the necessary commands.  

Userlevel 3

Hi @Ama,

Sorry to hear that you’re having these issues.

I can see our forum volunteers have already offered some great advice here. Please reach out to our Support team who should be able to help further with this. Keep us updated if you’re having any problems getting this resolved.

Thank you all for getting back to me. I also called my local council repairs team and they sent someone out and they said my hot water tank had actually tripped. Because i checked everything else was working but my off-peak I believed it had to do with the smart meter again. He said it’s now fixed and I should hear my it all coming on tonight *fingers crossed* he did say until tonight he cant be for sure. But I am hopeful.