Solved

Will there be an issue selling the house I own, if it has solar panels and storage battery that I own outright?

• 22 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi all , I’m going to put my house on market and it has solar panels and 4 years left on feed in tarriff, 

solar panels and battery have been paid outright by myself so I completely own them , but some friends are saying I might have problems selling with the solar panels , tho I can’t see why I would ? I would have thought if anything solar would be a good selling point 

any thoughts please ? 

icon

Best answer by ArundaleP 22 August 2020, 11:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Updated on 07/12/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

You should have no difficulty selling if you own it outright. 
The problems occurred when people have leased equipment or 3rd party interests attached to the property title.

In your case, no problem. It’s a benefit that should add value.

Sounds like quite the green home you’ve got there, which as ArundaleP points out could be a real benefit when selling. Check out our guide to How Smart Tech can add value to your home.

Once you find a buyer, make sure you include the solar panels in your fixtures and fittings document which the new owner can use as proof of ownership. If you get your Feed-in Tariff (FIT) payments from OVO you can email the FIT team at fits@ovoenergy.com to let them know about the change of ownership

The new owner can choose to continue receiving the FIT payments as you applied before these were discontinued, otherwise they can apply for the Smart meter export guarantee.

There’s more helpful advice on our Moving Home checklist or check out our plans for your new home!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I totally agree. And in case a prospective new owner is wary of the PV because they haven’t previously encountered it, then feel free to point them in the direction of this Forum!