News

The tadoº Smart Thermostat - exclusive price for OVO members!

• 25 March 2021
  • 9 replies
The tadoº Smart Thermostat - exclusive price for OVO members!
Userlevel 7

Meet the wireless tadoº Smart Thermostat

The OVO smart home just got a bit smarter, with tadoº.

It’s a smart thermostat that lets you control your heating and hot water wherever you are, and help to reduce your heating bills. Better yet, we’re offering an exclusive price, available only to OVO members! More info on this offer, here. 

See all of the details and FAQs on our tadoº product page, here.

@Karlb1 recently purchased this, and asked how to install it. See their topic, here. Spoiler alert: you can choose to set it up yourself. Installation guide, here.

We want to hear from YOU if you’ve got a smart thermostat already. What model do you have? Was it easy to set up? Has it given you greater control and efficiency over your heating? 

@NinjaGeek@PeterR1947 and others shared their experience with smart thermostats over on this topic:

@Karlb1 and others I’d love to hear about your experience of the tadoº Smart Thermostat once it’s installed…..

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Tim, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I’ve only just joined the forum and don’t have a TADO system but I do have the Drayton Wiser system with a controller and TRV’s on most radiators.

I wrote a bit more about my experience here:

Have you got a smart thermostat? Then we'd love to hear from you! | The OVO Forum (ovoenergy.com)

There is also a good (and long) thread about the Wiser system here:

https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/reviews/drayton-wiser-smart-heating-controls-review-part-4-1-year-older-much-wiser.html

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this offer open to forum members, or just OVO Energy customers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OVO Energy customers only I’m afraid. Sorry!

The OVO Forum is mainly volunteer led and runs independently of most of OVO’s operations. This forum is open to everyone regardless of supplier and makes no money by itself, so it’s unfortunately not possible to extend this kind of offer to forum members as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Yes another OVO offer where you need to have gas to qualify. I'm very disappointed in them.

Userlevel 7

Hi @nealmurphy - Sorry for the delayed response on this one. We’d taken your comments away to the Smart Home team to query why this was only available to dual-fuel member.

For a bit of context they’ve advised:

Through this offer, we allow customers to "connect" their Tado account to their OVO account. This sends the heating data from Tado to OVO. We then match this with their smart, half-hourly, gas consumption data to provide hints, tips & info about their home heating. If a customer doesn't have a gas supply with OVO we don't have this data and therefore can't provide these insights. As the insights are a core part of the product we want to ensure a customer has everything they need to get the best out of their Tado.

Hope this helps explain the reasoning behind this. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hope this helps explain the reasoning behind this. :slight_smile:

Thanks for trying @Jess_OVO  I appreciate the response. It doesn’t really explain the reasoning behind it as the Tado website says it works with most heating systems and most heat pumps. Therefore you don’t necessarily need a gas supply to use Tado, but obviously the vast majority of people do still has gas boilers.

Thanks for trying.

Userlevel 3

I bought a Tado from OVO. I won't work work our boiler. I have a long and very detailed email thread back and forth with Tado before I bought it, to check compatibility. They said yes. It arrived. The app can't give installation instructions for our Vaillant Boiler. So more emails with Tado. Finally they have admitted it's not compatible with any boiler that uses ebus communication, meaning all Vaillant boilers. It can be fitted but it won't work at its most smart, some features won't work. 

So how to return it please? I've emailed smarthome at OVO. Nothing. I managed to speak to someone on the phone a few weeks ago and I was promised a reply paid return bag. Nothing has arrived. I work in the week, not open at weekends. So I still don't have an address to return it to. 

Help anyone? Please?

Kim

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Welcome back @Gum168 :)

That’s a pretty good one actually. I’ve tried to look around for a return address, but there doesn’t seem to be one listed anywhere that I can find as a forum volunteer. The best I’ve found is over at https://www.ovoenergy.com/smart-home/smart-thermostat under how to return the device. If you contact the Smart Home Team again, they can chase this up for you and send out another returns kit.

The best ways to contact them would be either via:

Email - smarthome@ovoenergy.com 

Phone - 0330 102 7423 which is open on weekdays 9am to 5pm iirc.

Someone should get back to you within two working days to follow up on this. It’s possible that the first one got lost in the post somehow, which can happen sometimes so hopefully a second one gets through. They’re best placed to help with anything to do with the Tado offer, since it’s managed by that team specifically.

It doesn’t look like I’d be able to get hold of the returns address myself unless I needed to return a Tado that I bought from OVO, but I’ve never had one myself and I suspect the returns kit might also be personalised to each request.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 3

Thank you.