News

Join the UK's low-carbon heating revolution

Join the UK's low-carbon heating revolution
Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/10/21 by Jess_OVO

Our Zero-Carbon Heating trial has reached it’s next phase so we’re no longer recruiting trial participants. Already on the trial and want access to our Smart Home Trials area - leave a comment over here and we’ll give you the key. :key2:

Want to learn more about the heating technologies which we’re installing? - Check out this great user-created guide to Air Source Heat Pumps.

Exciting news!

We’ve been chosen by the government to run the UK’s largest zero-carbon heating trial. Now, we’re looking for 250 households in the South East to take part. 

If you join, you’ll have your fossil fuel heating system replaced with a brand new one 
full of low-carbon tech – powered by electricity.

Here’s the page for you to get more info on this trial, and register your interest to take part.

This is our blog post on the trial.

We’ll be creating a private space here on our forum, for trialists to share insights and ask/answer questions. So we’re super excited for this to kick off!

For now, here’s our Innovations Project Lead, Anna Lewis introducing the concept behind behind this ground breaking trial:

57 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Profile updated! I am near Guildford and Horsham in a small village.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My external unit is at ground level directly under the internal unit which is in the loft (it’s a bungalow) - they are connected by the pipework that contains the refrigerant gas/liquid. The internal unit then has the heated water that’s pumped through the radiators. Not sure that answers your Q about distances but 8m sounds a long way…..

Userlevel 7
Badge

@nealmurphy the external pipe run can be up to 10m (mine is) but the pipe work needs to be very well insulated like @Gingernut49 now has. 
the external unit must have sufficient clearance around it for good air circulation and should have minimum clearance of 2m in front of it. 
my original technical survey was very thorough and the surveyor knowledgeable about what was and wasn’t possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

@nealmurphy A couple of other considerations would be the noise from the heat pump in proximity to the windows, if it’s a bedroom the noise might be noticeable over night. Similarly with the neighbouring property but difficult to make a judgment on this from photos. 
Another consideration would be the size of the heat pump recommended, mine is an 11kw model for a four bed house and the unit is 1.5m tall, this would certainly come above the window height.  
hope that helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Mine is very quiet. It's outside the kitchen window. I'm sure even in the summer with the window open it really won't bother me at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh that’s interesting @Jequinlan . If Anna’s team were to choose a site that was already on the V2G Trial, then Kaluza would be able to analyse the effects of controlling two devices at the same property.

I think a site on this Smart Heating Trial which also had a Dimplex Quantum Storage Radiator would be a better combination to analyse because they’re both heat-related. But with so few homes having any devices operated by the Kaluza Platform, that’s going to be difficult to arrange.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just a quick update… I had the follow-up site visit and it looks as though everything is suitable and the Daikin unit proposed should fit below the window ledge height. Just waiting for the nod to proceed from Retrofitworks/OVO now. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So it just became official... I have signed T and Cs for the heating trial... I AM IN !!!! <party dance>

.... air source heat pump. Thanks OVO Energy!

Userlevel 7

Yesss @Jequinlan - great news!

I chased up that contract yesterday, so I like to think I was involved in this a lil bit. You can buy me a cider when that’s possible again.

I’m planning on creating this private heating trial area. Just getting a plan together, hopefully next week…

Have a good weekend all! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@hydrosam@Gingernut49@juliamc Thank you for your info, it’s very useful. A few pics of my house showing the corner of the house where I would have expected the outdoor unit to fit, the run down the side of the house to where the gas meter box is, and the existing boiler. If the units can be up to 10m apart then I wouldn’t have thought this set up would have been an issue.

The heat pump director of the company has offered to come out to confirm if they can/can’t install, so that’s a bit of good news. To me, this one looks easier than what other set ups could be, so I’m not sure why they think the space is limited.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@nealmurphy A couple of other considerations would be the noise from the heat pump in proximity to the windows, if it’s a bedroom the noise might be noticeable over night. Similarly with the neighbouring property but difficult to make a judgment on this from photos. 
Another consideration would be the size of the heat pump recommended, mine is an 11kw model for a four bed house and the unit is 1.5m tall, this would certainly come above the window height.  
hope that helps. 

Thanks @hydrosam very useful. Bedrooms are all on the other side of the property, plus our proposed location is nearest to a main road so is unlikely to cause noise issues. I think there is room to the side of the window, or perhaps by turning through 90 degrees coming out from corner of house as this wouldn't block views or access as we don't walk down this side of the house. We'll see what they day! What make of heat pump have you got?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah… this is interesting. Retrofit Works is a non-profit community-based organisation in SE England with a website containing a lot of useful information.

Their Blog page has some provocative comments about who does what when houses are upgraded or refurbished.

So the houses chosen by OVO for the ASHP Heat-Trials will be getting access to some very knowledgeable people who understand a great deal about practical energy efficiency measures in existing dwellings. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

Has any other members received this email that @Jequinlan got?

I’m looking at you @ITGeek123 @sylm_2000 @ArundaleP 

Userlevel 3
Badge

No for the heat pump trail page I will move it over now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just heard back from the next phase: 

Email said “You are NOT a suitable candidate, a surveyor will be arranged shortly”

Thankfully, it appears it was a mis-type and the NOT needed to be a NOW, so all good! - On to the next hoop!!!

@Tim_OVO  I know you wanted to know of any progress.

Userlevel 7

Email said “You are NOT a suitable candidate, a surveyor will be arranged shortly”

This brought me out in a cold sweat, @Jequinlan 

Then I saw this:

Thankfully, it appears it was a mis-type and the NOT needed to be a NOW, so all good! - On to the next hoop!!!

You keep getting hoops and you keep bounding through them like a gazelle.

Fingers crossed for the other community members here that are awaiting their first contact….. it’s coming! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Transparent yeah. Made me so sad until i read it then again and again then sought clarification! 🙂 phew!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Absolutely desparate to be included in trial. The principle is amazing, am already on v2g trial and have helped with good feedback and its now working brilliantly.  Am an early tech adopter so Absolutely understand things can be a challenge but it is a noble aim for zero carbon and i would love the interaction of this and v2g at once for helping the trial. Just havent heard back...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Last I had was this:

"

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to register your interest in our Zero Carbon Home Trial! 

We’ve reviewed your survey responses and we’ve found that your home is within the eligible region for this trial. We just wanted to let you know that we’re working on the next steps involved regarding your interest in this trial. We’ll be in touch shortly to let you know more information!" 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That is one of many reasons i am desperate to be involved!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good! :slight_smile:

Can you please fill out your Forum Profile page? Although the Moderators can view background info about you, us fellow-customer only get to see what you choose to share. So although I realise that you’re in the UK Power Networks region, I have no better idea of your geographical whereabouts.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@juliamc Reina Group

Userlevel 2
Badge

How do I join the heating trial forum? I can’t see a link 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is very interesting… despite the fact that I’m a hundred miles too far West!

The project appears to combine air-source heat-pumps and water cylinders. It’s certainly good news to see heated storage tanks coming back into houses. Good-bye combi boilers!  :slight_smile:

I guess the house’s existing radiators will still remain. That means the water will need to be heated to 60º+ which is a lot of work for a heat-pump. If the houses had underfloor heating there would be much greater efficiency because you could use water at only 45º.

So the project data will be very interesting. Even though the Kaluza Platform will be doing all it can to buy in the cheapest renewable electricity, the key statistic will be the Coefficient of Efficiency (CoE) for the heat pump.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tim_OVO Do you know if the heat pump is quiet? Do you guys have anymore information about the products being used? Maybe PDF files etc?