News

Join the UK's low-carbon heating revolution

Join the UK's low-carbon heating revolution
Userlevel 7

Updated on 08/10/21 by Jess_OVO

Our Zero-Carbon Heating trial has reached it’s next phase so we’re no longer recruiting trial participants. Already on the trial and want access to our Smart Home Trials area - leave a comment over here and we’ll give you the key. :key2:

Want to learn more about the heating technologies which we’re installing? - Check out this great user-created guide to Air Source Heat Pumps.

Exciting news!

We’ve been chosen by the government to run the UK’s largest zero-carbon heating trial. Now, we’re looking for 250 households in the South East to take part. 

If you join, you’ll have your fossil fuel heating system replaced with a brand new one 
full of low-carbon tech – powered by electricity.

Here’s the page for you to get more info on this trial, and register your interest to take part.

This is our blog post on the trial.

We’ll be creating a private space here on our forum, for trialists to share insights and ask/answer questions. So we’re super excited for this to kick off!

For now, here’s our Innovations Project Lead, Anna Lewis introducing the concept behind behind this ground breaking trial:

57 replies

Userlevel 7

Has any other members received this email that @Jequinlan got?

I’m looking at you @ITGeek123 @sylm_2000 @ArundaleP 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO - nothing yet. Not sure if that’s good or bad news?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I have completed that survey and received that email but nothing since.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nothing for me. I can only assume I wasn't good enough 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just heard back from the next phase: 

Email said “You are NOT a suitable candidate, a surveyor will be arranged shortly”

Thankfully, it appears it was a mis-type and the NOT needed to be a NOW, so all good! - On to the next hoop!!!

@Tim_OVO  I know you wanted to know of any progress.

Userlevel 7

Email said “You are NOT a suitable candidate, a surveyor will be arranged shortly”

This brought me out in a cold sweat, @Jequinlan 

Then I saw this:

Thankfully, it appears it was a mis-type and the NOT needed to be a NOW, so all good! - On to the next hoop!!!

You keep getting hoops and you keep bounding through them like a gazelle.

Fingers crossed for the other community members here that are awaiting their first contact….. it’s coming! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s a heck of a typo to put in an acceptance email :face_palm_tone1:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Transparent yeah. Made me so sad until i read it then again and again then sought clarification! 🙂 phew!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So it just became official... I have signed T and Cs for the heating trial... I AM IN !!!! <party dance>

.... air source heat pump. Thanks OVO Energy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nice one!

In some ways, I wish I could take part in some of these heating trials. But unfortunately for me, I rent my flat and I don’t live in the South East! :disappointed_relieved:

But if there’s any trials that don’t involve tearing stuff up, I’d be more than interested.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nice one!

In some ways, I wish I could take part in some of these heating trials. But unfortunately for me, I rent my flat and I don’t live in the South East! :disappointed_relieved:

But if there’s any trials that don’t involve tearing stuff up, I’d be more than interested.

Lol! Most trials involve ripping houses apart! Maybe a new trial ihd would suit (if they did that)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

New IHD Trial? Gets excited!

Now something like THAT would be right up my street. Especially one that’s got a long enough HAN range to work in my environment. I’m in a flat and the HAN range of my Aclara SGM1311/SGC1311 downstairs in the meter cupboard just doesn’t quite reach me…

Mind you, I’ve only ever tested the old (and now completely dead!) SSE Energy Tracker that I was given when the meter was first installed.

I… Erm… Kinda broke it… A bit… I don’t know why, but that thing seemed to have some really nasty bugs that eventually caused it to corrupt itself to the point where it’s pretty much self-destructed. I’m only just able to pull a basic reading off it before it crashes! So yeah, I’d love a shiny new one

Userlevel 7

Yesss @Jequinlan - great news!

I chased up that contract yesterday, so I like to think I was involved in this a lil bit. You can buy me a cider when that’s possible again.

I’m planning on creating this private heating trial area. Just getting a plan together, hopefully next week…

Have a good weekend all! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I had the technical survey a couple of weeks ago and had to chase for updates. Apparently there is not sufficient space to install interior or exterior plant despite the inside location being unrestricted. Externally, the distance to the plot boundary is around 1.3m and would therefore require the external unit to either be placed at the rear of the conservatory (around 4m from the boiler location) or ideally at the front of property (around 8m). Are these distances impractical for a heat pump install? How far can the external unit be from the internal plant?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for sharing the latest, @nealmurphy 

How far can the external unit be from the internal plant?

I’m just going to tag a few trialists who may know the answer to this, @hydrosam, @Gingernut49, @Rob Whitney, @RAJ, @mrmojorisin04, @juliamc 

BTW trialists if you’d prefer not to be tagged for any questions relating to this trial, just let me know! :blush:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’m just going to tag a few trialists who may know the answer to this, 

Thanks for the quick reply Tim, that’s very kind.

I guess a supplementary question is can the external unit be plumbed into the central heating system pipework (as suggested on the OVO trial info page) away from the internal unit as this would be possible, or does the external and internal bits need to be close together? I’m guessing this issue may come up quite a bit with retrofit properties? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Mine is at the back of my terraced house and the tank and control unit are in the second bedroom near the window, above the utility room (right hand window on my house). All the insulation is now the black anti-uv type.

The only hassle was that my fuse board is at the very front of my house (handy for my EV but not for this). The wiring for the additional new consumer unit had to go up through my bedroom, through the loft and down to the new location. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My external unit is at ground level directly under the internal unit which is in the loft (it’s a bungalow) - they are connected by the pipework that contains the refrigerant gas/liquid. The internal unit then has the heated water that’s pumped through the radiators. Not sure that answers your Q about distances but 8m sounds a long way…..

Userlevel 7
Badge

@nealmurphy the external pipe run can be up to 10m (mine is) but the pipe work needs to be very well insulated like @Gingernut49 now has. 
the external unit must have sufficient clearance around it for good air circulation and should have minimum clearance of 2m in front of it. 
my original technical survey was very thorough and the surveyor knowledgeable about what was and wasn’t possible. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@hydrosam@Gingernut49@juliamc Thank you for your info, it’s very useful. A few pics of my house showing the corner of the house where I would have expected the outdoor unit to fit, the run down the side of the house to where the gas meter box is, and the existing boiler. If the units can be up to 10m apart then I wouldn’t have thought this set up would have been an issue.

The heat pump director of the company has offered to come out to confirm if they can/can’t install, so that’s a bit of good news. To me, this one looks easier than what other set ups could be, so I’m not sure why they think the space is limited.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@nealmurphy A couple of other considerations would be the noise from the heat pump in proximity to the windows, if it’s a bedroom the noise might be noticeable over night. Similarly with the neighbouring property but difficult to make a judgment on this from photos. 
Another consideration would be the size of the heat pump recommended, mine is an 11kw model for a four bed house and the unit is 1.5m tall, this would certainly come above the window height.  
hope that helps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Mine is very quiet. It's outside the kitchen window. I'm sure even in the summer with the window open it really won't bother me at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@nealmurphy A couple of other considerations would be the noise from the heat pump in proximity to the windows, if it’s a bedroom the noise might be noticeable over night. Similarly with the neighbouring property but difficult to make a judgment on this from photos. 
Another consideration would be the size of the heat pump recommended, mine is an 11kw model for a four bed house and the unit is 1.5m tall, this would certainly come above the window height.  
hope that helps. 

Thanks @hydrosam very useful. Bedrooms are all on the other side of the property, plus our proposed location is nearest to a main road so is unlikely to cause noise issues. I think there is room to the side of the window, or perhaps by turning through 90 degrees coming out from corner of house as this wouldn't block views or access as we don't walk down this side of the house. We'll see what they day! What make of heat pump have you got?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks @hydrosam very useful. Bedrooms are all on the other side of the property, plus our proposed location is nearest to a main road so is unlikely to cause noise issues. I think there is room to the side of the window, or perhaps by turning through 90 degrees coming out from corner of house as this wouldn't block views or access as we don't walk down this side of the house. We'll see what they day! What make of heat pump have you got?

I have a Daikin heat pump. Not particularly impressed with it so far but it’s early days so hopefully things improve.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just a quick update… I had the follow-up site visit and it looks as though everything is suitable and the Daikin unit proposed should fit below the window ledge height. Just waiting for the nod to proceed from Retrofitworks/OVO now. :slight_smile: