Solved

How can I link my Tado smart thermostat to my OVO account?

• 25 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a Tado system, had it before joining OVO, installed it all myself with the wireless extension kit as our combi boiler is in the loft and TRVs on all Rads.

Best solution I could find as the system supports the OpenTherm bus standard (amongst others) for those boilers that can use it.

I saw that there is meant to be a way of linking your Tado account to your OVO account. I had a Smart Meter installed a couple of months back and was hoping that this would trigger the ability to link, but still nothing.

I have called customer services, but they aren't sure. I have sent an email over 10 days ago, but only had the auto response saying please allow 5 days for a response. The help topic mentions a Smart Devices option in the Menu, but it isn't there for me.

Does anyone know how this is meant to be achieved?

Are you meant to have purchased the system through OVO to get something to kick in?

Thanks for any advice.

David

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 27 September 2021, 17:04

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya @DaveRalph !

Thanks for bringing this up. I just want to let you know that I’ve acknowledged your question and have started looking into the answer. It may take a while and I might need to flag this up to @Tim_OVO or @Jess_OVO for extra help, but we’ll keep you posted.

Also, as far as I’m aware, the Tado integration only works if you’ve got a duel-fuel account with OVO but I’m not sure if you had to buy the device via the OVO offer. I’ll let you know if I manage to figure anything out.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Blastoise186,

Thanks for looking at this. We are dual fuel customers.

Regards Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I couldn’t find anything that suggests it’s possible to link a Tado device that wasn’t purchased via the OVO offer, but at the same time I didn’t find anything that says it’s impossible to do either.

This is probably a good one for me to pass over to Tim and Jess about in the morning, since they’ll probably need to ask around internally. It would be pretty cool if you can get this to work though!

Userlevel 7

Great question this one, @DaveRalph.

We’re not entirely sure of the exact process ourselves so have checked in with the Tado experts. Will pop back here with an update shortly. :ok_hand:

Userlevel 7

Updated on 14/12/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Save money when you buy a Tado Thermostat through OVO

Tado is a smart thermostat that helps you save energy and control your heating system more efficiently. When combined with OVO Energy's services, it becomes a powerful tool to monitor and reduce your energy consumption. Interested? Find out more here

Here are some key benefits of using Tado thermostat with OVO:

1. Energy savings: Tado uses smart technology to learn your heating habits and optimize the temperature in your home. It can detect when you're away and adjust the heating accordingly, helping you save on energy costs.
  2. Remote control: With the Tado mobile app, you can control your heating system from anywhere. Whether you're at home, at work, or on vacation, you can easily adjust the temperature to ensure comfort while saving energy.
  3. Smart scheduling: Tado can create personalized heating schedules based on your daily routine. You can set different temperatures for different times of the day or week, tailor-made to suit your preferences and lifestyle.
  4. Weather adaptation: Tado takes weather forecasts into account and adjusts the heating accordingly. It ensures that your home is always at the desired temperature, regardless of the outside conditions.
  5. Integration with OVO Energy: By combining Tado with OVO Energy's services, you can gain even more insights into your energy consumption. Monitor your usage, receive energy-saving tips, and view detailed reports to help you make informed decisions about your energy usage.

Overall, the combination of Tado thermostat with OVO Energy provides a comprehensive solution to help you reduce your energy consumption, save money, and have greater control over your heating system.

Back with an update from our Smart Home team.

They’ve advised that unfortunately in order to link your Tado to your OVO online account you would need to have purchased the smart thermostat from OVO at the moment. We’re working on this though and are hoping to enable this facility to those who have existing Tados or other smart thermostats installed independently of OVO.

Sorry it’s not quite the answer you were hoping for but we’ll be sure to keep you updated on any changes in this area. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Are OVO doing any offers on the Tado radiator devices at the same time? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not that I’m aware of at the moment, but it’s definitely something that you can ask to be put in the suggestions box if you’d like to. I don’t like to “steal” ideas from other people though, and this would be your suggestion, so feel free to give Tim or Jess a shout if you’d like them to do that for you. :)

Userlevel 7

A great question to ask, @Jeffus.

I’ve checked this one with the team who’ve confirmed @Blastoise186’s comment. At the moment our Tado offer only covers a thermostat starter kit (which includes the thermostat itself, wireless receiver and internet bridge). We’re looking into extending this to include the thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) too, so this has been really useful feedback for the team to gauge interest.

Have you been considering a smart thermostat set-up, @Jeffus?

Hi,

had the same question a few months back and managed to work-around but only lasted a month lol.

I had the Ovo Energy insights tab appear in my Tado app but when I clicked through and logged into my Ovo account I just got a “Page does not exist” error.

Spoke to Tado and they advised it was an Ovo issue - spoke to Ovo and they said it would only work if you bought the Tado from them - that’s what I did even though I already had a system setup.

immediately after ordering I checked my Tado app and TADA! My Ovo energy account now synced with my Tado. About 2 weeks later my “Ovo” Tado system arrived so I just returned it for a refund. Once my refund was accepted the Ovo system un-paired from my Tado account.

Little experiment to me seems like Ovo are just hiding the information behind a paywall - can only assume some commercial thing between the and Tado to try and sell more units lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Monitoring… would love to add my existing system…. had it years with 75% of house TRVs on the system. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Please add me to the wish list. I've been with Ovo for years and recently installed Tado, bought from Amazon, before I discovered the Ovo offer. I'm adding daily meter readings to my Tado app, so I'm unsure what benefits I would gain from linking the accounts officially other than maybe saving 30 seconds of my life each day, but hey, why not? :-)

Userlevel 5

Little experiment to me seems like Ovo are just hiding the information behind a paywall - can only assume some commercial thing between the and Tado to try and sell more units lol.

Top marks for running that experiment. Does seem to suggest this could be easily switched on for existing users. As you say probably some commercial agreement.

6 years ago I purchased a  discounted Nest thermostat from nPower, no strings attached at all. I left them shortly after it arrived….. whoops