Solved

Will I be in breach of the EV fair usage policy?

• 7 August 2019
  • 4 replies

In the V2G terms and conditions it says the following:
Fair usage9.1 For each calendar month after the Start Date, the number of kWhs you export to the grid from your car must be less than or equal to the number of kWhs you import from the grid through your Charger.
9.2 If you do not comply with clause 9.1, we’ll let you know. We’ll give you 30 days to ensure that the number of kWh exported or less than or equal to those imported. If you do not rectify this within 30 days, we may remove you from the Trial.
9.3 If this occurs on more than one occasion during the Trial Period, we may remove you from the Trial immediately and remove the Charger. You may be charged for the removal of the Charger in accordance with clause 13.3.

In our case we have a 4kW solar installation which produces about 3800kWh/year, we don't use very much electricity, last year we only used 3700kWh, and most of that is used at night on economy 7 charging our Nissan Leaf so very little so the Solar power gets used. Because of this I'm fairly certain in the summer months we could break the fair usage policy.

I realise this policy was probably written to stop you filling the battery up at a free charger and then selling it back to OVO but can you just confirm we wouldn't removed from the trial if for example we went away for 2 months and left the car plugged in so it could charge from the solar and export more back to the grid than it took from the grid.

Regards
Chris
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 8 August 2019, 13:32

Great question, @Chrispea , I've tweaked the title to make it easier for other users to find.

I've spoken to the lovely team in Kaluza and they have cleared this up, @NoPoke .

OK, the only time we would consider there to be a breach of the fair usage policy is if there is export only from the car to the grid. As long as we can see import from the grid to the car it's all good.

Hope this helps!
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Its not just people with solar PV who might breach 9.1 If you charge away from home possibly on a zero cost Polar 7kW post then you could also fall foul of 9.1

Can you control the amount of export from the app?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great question, @Chrispea , I've tweaked the title to make it easier for other users to find.

I've spoken to the lovely team in Kaluza and they have cleared this up, @NoPoke .

OK, the only time we would consider there to be a breach of the fair usage policy is if there is export only from the car to the grid. As long as we can see import from the grid to the car it's all good.

Hope this helps!
Yeah that's good to know thank you.

Great question,@Chrispea , I've tweaked the title to make it easier for other users to find.

I've spoken to the lovely team in Kaluza and they have cleared this up,@NoPoke .

Hope this helps!

Does it have to be a certain amount imported, or is any imported amount considered enough to avoid falling foul of 9.1? 

Thanks.

(PS. sorry for digging up an old thread)