Solved

When will OVO announce who gets to take part in the Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) trial?

When will OVO announce who gets to take part in the V2G trial???
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 July 2018, 16:51

@andrewroberts @Aliriddle no concrete start date for this trial yet. As per the email update we sent everyone that's registered, it's taking a bit longer then expected, but there's been plenty of progress made:

- We've been putting the charger and its software control systems through extensive testing so when we come to launch we can be sure to offer you a seamless V2G charging experience.

- We've built the app that you will use to tell us when you next need your vehicle, set your minimum charge level and monitor your vehicle's charging.

- We've equipped the production lines at our manufacturing facility in Malvern, getting them ready to roll out hundreds of V2G chargers.

- We've been engaging our supply chain partners, placing orders for key components such as CHAdeMO cables, and establishing quality control processes.

More details coming soon!
View original

19 replies

Me please 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@andrewroberts @Aliriddle no concrete start date for this trial yet. As per the email update we sent everyone that's registered, it's taking a bit longer then expected, but there's been plenty of progress made:

- We've been putting the charger and its software control systems through extensive testing so when we come to launch we can be sure to offer you a seamless V2G charging experience.

- We've built the app that you will use to tell us when you next need your vehicle, set your minimum charge level and monitor your vehicle's charging.

- We've equipped the production lines at our manufacturing facility in Malvern, getting them ready to roll out hundreds of V2G chargers.

- We've been engaging our supply chain partners, placing orders for key components such as CHAdeMO cables, and establishing quality control processes.

More details coming soon!
Isn't it about time for another update - this concept was announced for summer 2018, perhaps I need to look into alternatives if OVO cannot deliver
Bob H
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @BobHandley

I've checked with the team looking after this and there will be another update coming on this soon. It will have more info around the eligibility for the trial, and will also provide more information about the trial itself and the charger.

Agree it has taken a while to get to this point, but due to the tech involved, there are industry requirements and certifications that this needs for us to be able to roll it out, so that's what we have been busy working on behind the scenes.

Darran
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Isn't it about time for another update - this concept was announced for summer 2018, perhaps I need to look into alternatives if OVO cannot deliver
Bob H
@BobHandley No need to think like that dude. Can you name any other energy supplier who are providing such amazing products for their customers? Because I can't. Give Ovo a bit more time, as people say. Good things come to those who wait 😃
Thank you Darren,
I know it is a pain even if there is not much to say, just a brief note that Ovo is still working on technical details of certification would be useful. I assume that Ovo don't want to commit to a new timetable if some items are outside their control.
Bob
Userlevel 3
Badge
Looking forward to hearing more about this soon then! Been after one of these for a while now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thank you Darren,
I know it is a pain even if there is not much to say, just a brief note that Ovo is still working on technical details of certification would be useful. I assume that Ovo don't want to commit to a new timetable if some items are outside their control.
Bob

No problems Bob, I appreciate it's frustrating when you want to get your hands on the new tech. Believe me, we are doing everything we can to get this ready for roll out. As I mentioned, we've completed additional rounds of testing to ensure everything is as we expect and that all of the technical stuff behind the scenes works to ensure our customers get the best from the technology!!

More to come on this shortly, so please bear with us!!

In the meantime, feel free to write an article about life with your EV so far in this area. We love hearing about your experiences in choosing and buying an EV and living with it day to day. I'm definitely thinking about buying one, so all of your experiences definitely help me gain more confidence in making the leap!!

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/owning-an-ev-87

Darran
I signed up for this trial too, but I’ve never had an email update.

I’ve rang OVO twice for an update but they didn’t have anything to tell me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @Karlkb15

That's odd, we sent out an update in July to everyone that had registered and have another one due to go out soon.

I'm not sure why you didn't receive it? Can you please PM me with your email address that you signed up with so we can check you are on the list to ensure you get the next one? If you click on my name, it should take you to my profile and you'll see a "send message" option.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Check out the latest update on V2G here:

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/what-is-v2g-technology-90/check-out-the-latest-on-ovo-s-vehicle-to-grid-trial-here-2286
I have spoken to OVO, and they have confirmed this is just a marketing exercise.
As they have no idea when they will be ready to roll this out to end users, and anyone expressing an interest now will almost certainly not eligible for the trial when it starts.
I think this is a disgusting waste of people’s time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @SteveBrailsford Welcome to the forum.

Pleased to confirm this is definitely not a marketing exercise, the trial is just taking a little longer than expected. There is a lot of testing that has had to go on behind the scenes and also a lot of paperwork as this is brand new technology so there is a lot to confirm and comply with from an industry perspective.

We engaged with customers early on this to understand what customers wanted/needed to know and also to ensure we knew that customers were interested in this V2G tech. Now we have a list of customers that are interested and ready to go so as soon as the product is ready we can get in touch and crack on with the next steps towards installing the first ones.

Please continue to follow conversations on the forum and look out or further email updates as we move closer to the next stages.

Darran
Userlevel 1
Hi @Darran_OVO,

Perhaps what might be helpful is to communicate with the customers who you plan to work with on the trial? This might help set people's expectations and reduce frustration at the timescale slippage on the trial.

Simon
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Simonfea

Once we know who they are Simon, we'll doing exactly that!!

Should have a few more updates next week.
Userlevel 1
Thanks @Darran_OVO - apologies - I was suggesting that you do the selection now and communicate with the participants straight away unless the suitability criteria are likely to change, which seems unlikely as you're close to starting the trial?

We're ready to go on our side!

Simon
Userlevel 2
Darran,
I applied to be part of the test but have not been receiving the regular update emails you mention. I assumed I had not been chosen when I heard nothing but you say info was sent to all who registered. Would you check that my name is on the list of applicants.
jimtraynor@outlook.com.
I only got involved in the discussions when I relied to an entry in one of your forums.
Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @JimTraynor

I think from conversations with @Hari_OVO we determined you were located in Scotland.

We are still looking into how we roll out the V2G charger in Scotland at the moment as there are some hurdles to overcome.

@Hari_OVO may be able to tell us more, or in the short term, at least confirm your interest is definitely registered for when we are able to look at Scotland to roll out V2G.

Darran
Userlevel 2
Just to confirm, I am from Scotland.