V2G Climate timer questions

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi,

Because it probably won't get asked properly here, the FB group are seeing troubles using the climate timers its send the V2G box into fault, any further updates from you end ?

They are getting hardware faults on the apps and then having the reset the V2G box

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @D10hul yep, something we are aware of and are looking into.

If those trialists posted that info here, we'd be able to keep all the communication around it in one place 🙂

Once we have more info, we will post an update here.

Darran
Userlevel 1
Badge
Its possibly because, here is a bit old fashioned and not as quick as Facebook groups, the only reason I am responding is because I am in the office today on a desktop, had I been my usual on the go then I doubt I would reply here too.

I don't mean it in a harsh way just times have changed !!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Appreciate the feedback, but it's a difficult job to keep on top of Facebook groups that are easy to set up and to be fair not everyone is on Facebook 🙂 We've only had a forum for 2 years, still young in the grand scheme of things, some pretty big brands have forums too, that work incredibly well for engaging with customers.

Forum can be accessed by everyone and is more efficient for keeping the source of truth in once place.

Again, we can't stop people posting over on FB, but need to ensure we are able to support all members effectively. We have some of the team monitoring the group, but for any support, members need to come through here or the support team to make sure we are able to offer the right support.

Yes we can definitely improve speed of response, but some issues are new and not quick to resolve so patience on all sides is needed as we navigate this trial!
Userlevel 1
Badge
cheers Darren, I will pass the message on in the group, I really want the scheme to work well, and I am doing my bit to promote it, and as long as people remember the word TRIAL then theres nothing to grumble about !!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Agreed, the trial is there to help iron out any real world issues, and everyone taking part so far is doing a fab job of providing feedback! Need them to keep sharing so we can continue to improve things!!

Appreciate the support. 🙂
Hi I have also just come here to report the timer climate control issue. We personally have not had the chance to try it because a week on our unit is not working but not being able to use this feature will impact our participation in the trial. @Darran_OVO
Ha, I just came to the forum to ask if the climate timer works as expected with the V2G charger, but I guess not. FWIW I've had no trouble activating it manually while the car's plugged in for the couple of times I've needed it.

In a related question: I've been wondering how this works seeing as the flow of charge is now handled by the charger rather than the car. In an ideal world the charger would detect that the climate control has been activated and feed power to the car, but is that actually what happens?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I'm intrigued. Can @D10hul please enlighten the rest of us what the "Climate Timer" does?

Is it a feature on a control App, or a physical device which you adjust in the car?
Userlevel 1
Badge
It’s part of the Nissan Leaf, you can set it on the Nissan Leaf app or program the car through the doors bro centre, it also has a charge timer of similar opration
Yeah it prompts you to set timers when you turn the car off, and it'll make sure the cabin is up to temperature ready for the time you set. It's super convenient in the winter mornings as it means no more de-icing.

There's a setting about whether to allow the climate timer to run if car's not plugged in, and if the V2G charger doesn't recognise the draw when it does run I wonder if the car will consider itself "unplugged" and stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
In a related question: I've been wondering how this works seeing as the flow of charge is now handled by the charger rather than the car. In an ideal world the charger would detect that the climate control has been activated and feed power to the car, but is that actually what happens?

That's a good question @MaximumFish, I'm going to defer this question to @Ollie_OVO and @Sean_OVO to see if they can get an answer on this one for you!!
Badge
Hi @MaximumFish, great question.

V2G technology is still developing, and as such the process to link in climate timer functionality so it works when the car is charging and exporting is still being refined. You're right in saying in an ideal world this is how the system would work and so we're certainly looking into it. As soon as this is fully developed, we'll make sure we let you know ahead of rolling out any changes.

Sean

I've had the same climate timer issue from day 1, trips the charger into fault mode, after 4 consecutive mornings it then made the charger not work at all, hasn't worked since then. 
it has to be sorted pronto because it's probably the main bonus feature of a Nissan Leaf being able to de ice all windows and turn your heated seat and wheel on before ready for your departure time. 
when I reported this before they didn't tell me others had the same problem. Made me feel like it was something I was doing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yep @Karlkb15 we agree and are working on it.  

Out of interest, I’m intrigued to hear that an EV had heated seats and steering wheel…...does that drain much from the battery??  Be interesting to know. :)  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

And I’m interested to hear that [color=#70a020]EV[/color]’s from different manufacturers may have all manner of devices which could clash with smart charging systems.

It’s going to be very difficult to develop [color=#C06040]V2G chargers[/color] which can reliably cope with all varieties of [color=#70a020]EV[/color]. There’s a lot more to this than just a battle between CSS and CHAdeMO.

Close to me there’s a new estate being started where a Planning Condition requires every house to have an [color=#C06040]EV charger[/color]. That’s great news for the environment, but I have serious doubts whether the (well-known) developer understands enough about the subject to make the correct decisions.

The seats and wheel are powered by the 12 volt battery, same as the horn and lights.

however I would say that when the 12 volt runs low it takes power from the 3pin charging plug or type 2 charging lead and tops it up, it doesn't do that with the V2G charger as I had a low 12 volt battery warning several mornings after trying to use V2G charger. 
problem there is the main car battery can not start without a jolt from the 12volt battery. 
ive mention this before to the guys installing it and they couldn't tell me what would happen, now I know, ive since mentioned it to Kaluza/OVO but have not had an answer yet. Charger remains off line. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah I see, thanks for confirming @Karlkb15.  Makes sense.  

The last update from Sean, was that you would be getting a call to progress the issue you have.  Has this happened yet? 

I was told I would get another call within 5 days, but the 5th day was last Friday. 
So this is day 10. 
still waiting. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Karlkb15 Hi Karl,

As your still waiting I thought I’d ring you to explain the situation - sorry it wasn’t better news! We are  working on freeing up two engineers on a day that would suit you, it’s just proving more difficult than we envisioned. 

We’ll be in touch as soon as we have an update.

Ollie

Have just posted an update on another thread about that. 
Saying you were trying to get someone out on a Saturday, and the 2 guys who were just 5 miles from me who installed it were getting sent to Scotland a lot and are not available. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Karl,

Our engineers currently work Monday to Friday.  You've been clear with us you can only do Saturdays therefore we are trying to find a solution to get 2 engineers to you on the day you requested.  

We have plenty of availability through the week, its just your particular circumstances are presenting a problem we need to overcome!  Again the nature of this being a trial, there will always be new things that crop up that we need to find a solution too! 

If you are able to find another day during the week that you could be available, please let us know and we'll get you booked in asap.

Ollie