Solar fed house battery - has anyone installed one?

• 21 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Solar fed House battery, has anyone installed one?

I've read about 2nd hand electric car batteries being installed in a house (Tesla and Nissan) and then used to store day time solar energy for use at night to power the essentials in the house.

Anyone tried this and how horrendous is the price?

2 replies

Userlevel 1
HI. @chrisjw37
I have installed home batteries back in January to compliment my 4kwp of solar PV.
I found that price wise anyone who works in the solar business were charging you double the price of the batteries to supply and install them.
So if I wanted say 7kw of batteries at a cost of £3000.00 they would charge you £6000.00!
I was not interested in keeping the local PV installers in new BMW's and found that wholesalers are selling complete kits online.
I went ahead and ordered a complete kit of 7.2kwh of batteries and a 3kw inverter for £3500.00, I then had to find an installer and I really hit problems here. None of the local solar installers were interested for the above reasons of pure greed as explained above, after some research I found that to install batteries unlike PV the installer does not need to be solar accredited as batteries are not regarded as a generator if the inverter is A.C. connected and does not provide any power out to the grid. So one electrician later I had the batteries installed for £60.00! And another £20.00 for his friend to register them with the local electricity supplier they were up and running.
So far very pleased with them, making a big difference to my electricity use and costs.
If you want to know anymore let me know.
Rregards to all Pete.
Very interesting response @Llamedospete,

Although we currently don't have a model of solar fed home batteries in the pipeline yet, we've been working hard on getting our first Home Energy Storage batteries trialed. You can find more out about this here!

We're currently in collaboration with Nissan in order to bring the home battery storage to fruition and hopefully make this available to our customers in the future! Solar fed batteries could also be a possibility in the future too!

Here's a link for more information on that here.

Thanks!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings