Solved

Why is V2G app charging my car 100% and staying at this level for hours?

• 3 August 2019
  • 7 replies

My car is being charged to 100% and staying at this level for hours in very hot weather. Why is this when it’s known to be bad for the battery and at the same time my house is drawing power from the grid!
If OVO want people to potentially damage their battery they need to provide more of an incentive.
The App also needs a maximum charge % as I don’t like to charge to 100% ever. It’s more important to me to have a maximum % than a minimum.
icon

Best answer by Hari_OVO 14 August 2019, 14:16

Hi @Nogogas @StewartPeace - firstly, sorry for the slow response.

Thanks for raising this. A maximum charge % certainly something the app team is looking into, however we don't yet have a timescale for when this functionality will be in place. I'll keep you posted as it's definitely something we want to make available.

In terms of the impact on your car battery, we've been working closely with Nissan to ensure the charging/discharging cycles and patterns that your battery is put through will not adversely impact your battery, or the existing warranty that you have in place with them.
View original

7 replies

I have been thinking about this too and Would like to see this feature added.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @Nogogas and @StewartPeace welcome to the forum!

I have raised your query to the right team that are much more in the know than myself, as soon as I get an update regarding your query, I'll be in touch.

Thanks!

☺
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Nogogas @StewartPeace - firstly, sorry for the slow response.

Thanks for raising this. A maximum charge % certainly something the app team is looking into, however we don't yet have a timescale for when this functionality will be in place. I'll keep you posted as it's definitely something we want to make available.

In terms of the impact on your car battery, we've been working closely with Nissan to ensure the charging/discharging cycles and patterns that your battery is put through will not adversely impact your battery, or the existing warranty that you have in place with them.
I don’t believe that any battery should be charged to 100% except in an emergency. Nissan seem to go against everything that has been learned from battery technology over the past decade. They don’t actively manage the temperature of the battery or properly manage the charge rates of the Leaf, take for example rapidgate! First they say it’s damaging to the battery to charge it when it’s overheating, then they issued a “fix” which they say made it safe to charge it beyond it’s original designed amount.
I won’t be letting my car be charged to 100% and kept charged at that level. All current thinking says it’s damaging to do so, I’ll be waiting for the fix. Also bear in mind the battery isn’t even being cooled down by passing air as you drive, it’s just sat at upto 30c baking.
It would be more important to me to have a maximum charge % rather than a minimum charge state.

on a separate note, why can’t the app have the option to be able (via a sliding function) to set if you want green, cheap, free, electric? So the user can decide what they want as opposed to having the unit decide. Which apparently, looking at the way it’s working seems to be completely random! At times it’s even using Kilowatts of electricity even with NO electricity being drawn from the house or the car!
Userlevel 1

@Nogogas The latest thinking is that it isn't charging it to 100% that is the problem, it is leaving it at that level for a significant period of time. I have fed back as to whether the app could automatically manage your battery in whatever ends up being the optimal way, as a service. However, my fix in the meantime is to set the schedule to charge to 100% just after I am likely to need it, so when I leave the house it us at 90 something percent and hasn't been there for very long. 

Userlevel 1

@Nogogas On your second point, I am not 100% sure what you mean? I think the reason the unit decides is that in order to be able to give the user money for exporting, Ovo needs to be able to make money from selling that electricity, which will be when there is a high need for electricity that your car can supply. That might be because the local demand in your street is high and putting strain on the local network equipment, or because there is a lot of demand on the grid generally and your battery can be used rather than firing up a power station. That might therefore I guess mean that your car could be charged at times of low demand overnight when there is very little solar and therefore so possibly higher carbon. I have noticed that Ovo have brought out a new low carbon tariff Ovo Beyond, so maybe when they get to the stage to be able to combine the two it will help with that. 

Userlevel 1

@Nogogas I'm also not sure what you mean by the V2G using a lot of energy when the house or car isn't charging? Do you mean when it is exporting to the grid? What display are you looking at and what is it showing? Kath