Solved

Why is OVO increasing my Direct Debits, not factoring in export payments of V2G trail?

• 21 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Tim_OVO @Transparent 

I have already outlined the issue of this concern that has been raised with many of our Trialists, the issue of direct debits on the increase in annoying yet harmless emails was bearable however, a more fruitful and threatening email has emerged in my account and others in my case doubling the DD amount with no way that I can reduce this ( I have tried in my OVO but it will not let me) 

This has rattled the cage so to speak with many customers who I have told to express there concerns direct with OvO. 

The error looks to be that the automated system dose not take into account the export payments and as such compensates for usage only. 

here is an example on the email that i received today, can I have some sort of action on this subject ? either to lock our DD to what we signed up for or allow full control by ourselves, as ultimately OVO will lose out as they will be paying the Account interest fees. 

We recently got in touch to let you know that your monthly payment was too low and we needed you to adjust it.

This is because you’re using more energy than we predicted, so your account is going to be £322 in debt by your plan anniversary date. 

We'll adjust your Direct Debit to £87 on your behalf so you’ll be paying enough for the energy you’re using each month. This may take a couple of weeks to complete.

See how we work out your Direct Debit here.

icon

Best answer by Ash_OVO 23 January 2020, 10:39

Hello @D10hul

I’ve briefly touched on this subject in this thread

We are always looking to improve the trial and the Direct Debit (DD) set up is something I feel needs to be looked into. I will be speaking with the team dealing with the billing aspect of the trial and will see what we can do to improve things moving forward. If in the meantime, yourself or any other members have any concern with your DD, that you can’t amend yourself on MyOVO, please call the team on 0330 303 5063 or you can email them at hello@ovoenergy.com.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m getting some advice on this @D10hul - thanks for flagging. 

It wold be good to hear if other trialist Direct Debit recommendations are also missing the mark...

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Tim_OVO cheers for that, I have Brough it up on FB, I have also asked pope to contact OVO direct about this and other issues. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Great job. Your post is really helpful for everyone. Thanks for sharing this great post.

Install Office setup. It provides many tools to help your works.

Think your being spammed here @Nancy_OVO 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Think your being spammed here @Nancy_OVO 

Yep - thanks @D10hul 

I’ve removed! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think I can see how this is happening @D10hul 

OVO's Billing system is now using their own in-house software. They have previously used 3rd-party software, but mistakes led them into being investigated by Ofgem over three years ago.

The Directors felt they had little choice but to write their own software and retain a team of software engineers (at the London offices) who continue to maintain and develop it.

The software is a complex inter-acting suite of processes, receiving inputs from manual and smart meters, creating bills, annual consumption rates, usage histograms and the data we see on the OVO App.

It is now operational, but doesn't yet have code to handle recovery from all possible data anomalies.

So, for example,  customers like you on the V2G Charger Trial are facing Direct Debit increases because the new Billing software doesn't yet allow the electricity being fed back to the Grid to be calculated within the forecasting section of the code.
So the Bills are correct, but yet you still receive requests to increase monthly payments!

It will take many months of tweeking before this new in-house software can automatically handle all such scenarios.

We are actually in a good position to speed up that process by discussing these issues on the Forum. The Moderators (@Nancy_OVO@Tim_OVO  and the team) can pick up these Topics and bounce the links onto the relevant software team members.

I think that’s preferable to raising official complaints.

But if/when you do email to Customer Services, give them the URL too so that they can see what the issue is and manually stop your excessive DD-Demands until the programmers have got the the new code in place.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Transparent thanks for that, the main issue I have is not the emails and requests, its the actual fact the system has or will now increase my direct debit with out my input and lock it in at a higher rate leaving me out of pocket and OVO in interest charges. 

If confirmed action can be taken to stop this from happening I am sure we can all put up with the spam mail, however at the moment a few are seeing very high monthly costs in most cases double 

Cheers Dave 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @D10hul

I’ve briefly touched on this subject in this thread

We are always looking to improve the trial and the Direct Debit (DD) set up is something I feel needs to be looked into. I will be speaking with the team dealing with the billing aspect of the trial and will see what we can do to improve things moving forward. If in the meantime, yourself or any other members have any concern with your DD, that you can’t amend yourself on MyOVO, please call the team on 0330 303 5063 or you can email them at hello@ovoenergy.com.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That sounds to me like a positive response @D10hul 

When you email Customer Support, I suggest you give them the link to this Topic so they can see the reply from @Ash_OVO .

Don’t be surprised if this still takes a couple of months to implement within the software that evaluates DDs. Making changes to a “live” Billing system is not done lightly! A senior manager will need to approve the introduction of export credits to the DD Forecasting system.

It may indeed require considerable in-house discussion. I can think of other criteria which should also be added to the DD Forecast in order to accommodate forthcoming tariffs.

I use a vehicle to grid charger for my Nissan Leaf. My bill last month was £400 just for electricity!!

According to my app my usage (not including any discount for selling back to the grid) should have been no more than £131. I live in an average 2 bed house and use the standard electronic devices so £270 for general household (non car related) electricity seems very very high. 

Can anyone explain this please?