Solved

Why are Economy 7 tariffs currently not eligible for the V2G trial?

• 13 September 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
I've just received the eligibility for the V2G programme. It say's that economy 7 or similar tariffs are not eligible. I'm on EV Anywhere which I'm assuming is Economy 7 type. Does that mean I'm not eligible for the programme?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 13 September 2018, 15:35

@Leo Moran thanks for the question.

@Paul is spot on. As this is the first stage of our trial, and we are testing lots of parts of the process, we are trying to keep things as simple as possible. Worth noting that being on EV Everywhere does not automatically mean you are on Eco7.

The way you will be paid for exports has been designed with this simplicity in mind, and will be directly linked to the amount you pay for your energy. We are going to release more information about how export payments work soon!

So in short, in the near future we won't have the capability to provide export payments that are linked to a time-of-use import tariff, i.e Eco7 - but we are always looking to learn and improve based on your feedback and so it may be something that is more possible in the future. 🙂

If you still wanted to be part of the trial and pass all the other eligibility criteria, it would be possible to remove eco7 from your tariff so you could take part.

Darran
View original

12 replies

My thoughts exactly!
Userlevel 2
Badge
EV Everywhere isn't necessarily economy 7, but I'd have thought most would be on it.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Seems to me that people with EVs will be on EV Everywhere tariff with Economy 7. One would have thought Ovo could cope with this?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I agree, and I imagine that the final product will support economy 7, but this is the trial so they are probably taking it one step at a time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Leo Moran thanks for the question.

@Paul is spot on. As this is the first stage of our trial, and we are testing lots of parts of the process, we are trying to keep things as simple as possible. Worth noting that being on EV Everywhere does not automatically mean you are on Eco7.

The way you will be paid for exports has been designed with this simplicity in mind, and will be directly linked to the amount you pay for your energy. We are going to release more information about how export payments work soon!

So in short, in the near future we won't have the capability to provide export payments that are linked to a time-of-use import tariff, i.e Eco7 - but we are always looking to learn and improve based on your feedback and so it may be something that is more possible in the future. 🙂

If you still wanted to be part of the trial and pass all the other eligibility criteria, it would be possible to remove eco7 from your tariff so you could take part.

Darran
Userlevel 5
Thanks for that Darran,

If you look at the Nissan Website for 31st January, you will see my comments when I received the First Nissan 2.Zero in Europe that I was really looking forward to taking part in the V2G trial and it was the main reason I cancelled my 6 months remaining contract with another provider to come to OVO. I'm not disappointed with the move, in fact it looks like a very good deal...but it would have been cheeper to allow my contract to run full length before changing to OVO and had I known that I wasn't going to be included in the trial, or even be selected for it based on the contract I signed with you, it would have been nice to know before signing a binding contract that I couldn't take part.....that said perhaps you may be able to sort out the finances and if so please include me in the new list. Wishing you every success with the trial itself, after all, I have a vested interest too..
Userlevel 4
Badge
[user=14285]If you still wanted to be part of the trial and pass all the other eligibility criteria, it would be possible to remove eco7 from your tariff so you could take part. At present, I can charge my car at Economy 7 rate and it costs me less than charging it at daytime rate.

I have to ask, why would I want to charge my car at a more expensive rate and make my battery available to Ovo when I become worse off financially?
Userlevel 5
Darran,

Changing from Economy 7 to normal tariff would cost me about £100 based on a full year's trial or £200 for the length of the 2 year contract. My car is normally parked in the garage during peak periods so would be available at the times you want. Would I be able to change back to the original Eco 7 contract or have to negotiate a new contract after the trial, by which time new rates me be in place? Would I also be able to revert back to Economy 7 when you'd sorted out the finances and made the trial available to present Economy 7 users? I'm sure a lot of other Economy 7 users will be interested in your response...
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Leo Moran I agree having to remove eco7 then add it back in is a pain and not ideal.

But as we said this is a trial, so we need to learn from it and therefore in its current guise it might not be suitable for you or others in a similar position.

As I mentioned going forward, we will absolutely be looking at how we incorporate time of use import tariffs, but for this small scale trial, we need to focus on testing the technology and learning from it.

We plan to keep everyone updated along the way so you can keep up to speed with how its going and any future developments by following the conversations in the V2G area on the forum.
Userlevel 5
Thanks....as I say I really wanted to be included in the trial and if you can guarantee that I can return to the original agreed contract at the end of the trial...or even reinstate it if you manage to work it out before that time, I may still be interested in reverting back to the normal tariff to help you with the trial.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Fair point @Leo Moran.
However, there may be a better option at the end of the V2G Trial . Remember we don't yet even know the start-date, let alone how long it will run for.

The future possibility I can foresee is this:

Based on what OVO learn from the Trial, they will then be in a better position to design and offer a tariff which is based on Time Of Use (TOE). TOE is an integral part of the functionality built into SMETS2 Meter protocols.

So it's possible that instead of you reverting to your original tariff with the E7 time-slot, you instead get your smart meter software upgraded and use a Half-Hour Variable Tariff. This will allow you to set parameters for charging your EV whenever the price-per-kWh falls below a threshold. If there's a lot of solar-energy available, this might be during daylight hours, not just at night.

There's a lot of conjecture here. And let's be aware that some aspects of the Trial may fail, causing delays whilst software is re-written. However, I think you should bear these possibilities in mind rather than commit now to a desire to reinstate E7 post-Trial.
Userlevel 5
Thanks for that ....So some good news and the prospect of some not so good news.....but please keep me in mind and I'll be able to make the decision nearer to the roll out date...

Leo