Solved

What is the function of the On/Off button on my V2G charger?

• 1 November 2019
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2

I have only had a V2G charger for 24 hours and everything seems to be working ok… but I would really like advice about using this system - especially how it should be configured/set up to meet specific use scenarios.

Also, there is one fundamental question that needs answering:

1. What is the function of the On/Off button on my V2G charger? I was told that I did not need to turn it on or off, just plug in my car and it would work.

Now the Use Scenarios and setup questions:

1. We have no “typical” day. We are self employed and some days we do not use the car much at all, but we do need to make sure we have 25-30% charge for random local journeys at any time. The idea of setting a “normal” time of day when 100% charge is required does not fit with our needs.
  2. Some days we will need 100% charge available at a known time - this could be for a trip at the extent of the car’s range. This might be required for a meeting in the morning or afternoon.

So how should the web app scheduled charge timer be set? Turned off completely? Will that allow my car’s charge to float around levels needed by Ovo with the only requirement being the minimum charge we need at any time. Then when we know we have a longer journey coming up, change things as needed. For example if we have a long journey starting early in the morning, should I change the schedule temporarily to give me 100% charge on that next day morning (and then turn schedules off afterwards).

I am thinking that if my long journey is later in the day I can simply use Boost to whack it up to 100% in time for my departing. Will it charge at maximum rate (I see around 5.4KW) if I use Boost or should I plan on it floating at a lower charge rate? If I am to be doing this manual override I do need to know about such details. 

Overall, at present the web app seems ok but far too simple to provide the level of fine grained control over things.

The lack of any user guide seems to be an omission that needs to be corrected asap. It is possible that I have simply missed a communication in this respect and that a user guide does exist - in which case I would be happy to be corrected.

If a user guide is created, can I ask that “typical use scenarios” are described with the settings needed to work best in such scenarios? Of course I would like our use scenario to be included!

Many thanks in anticipation of your help…

Julian

icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 6 November 2019, 10:45

Hey @TeaTimeSoon thanks for your post.  I’ve confirmed that the on/off is to connect and disconnect from the car.  You have to press it once plugged in and again when the charge session is finished.  

@Leo Moran @Andras @piersjk might be able to offer help and advice on some of the other questions.  Always good to get advice from someone actually using this tech at home. 

I’m going to get hold of a user guide for you, you should have been left one when the unit was installed so apologies for that. 

Darran 

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @TeaTimeSoon thanks for your post.  I’ve confirmed that the on/off is to connect and disconnect from the car.  You have to press it once plugged in and again when the charge session is finished.  

@Leo Moran @Andras @piersjk might be able to offer help and advice on some of the other questions.  Always good to get advice from someone actually using this tech at home. 

I’m going to get hold of a user guide for you, you should have been left one when the unit was installed so apologies for that. 

Darran 

Userlevel 2

Hi

Ha - yes the On/Off question might seem a little dumb - but I have never had a car charger with an on/off button before and it confused me at first (well - maybe only for a few minutes really - after that I just assumed I needed to turn it on and off as and when I plugged in and unplugged my car)!

A user guide - as a pdf would be fine if that is convenient.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ha @TeaTimeSoon, no worries!! I think I’d be in the same boat if I’d not had that feature on a previous charger too!! 

Cool, absolutely, trying to get hold of the latest version for you and I will share on this topic, as I’m sure you’re not the only one that could do with a copy.  

As this is a trial, as we learn from all of you, this feeds back into us updating the user guide, so keen to make sure you have the latest version!! 

Userlevel 5

@Darran_OVO , thanks for that but still a bit ambiguous….as I understand it this is the way I use it.

Unit is off and I connect the CHAdeMo connector to the car. I then press the on button on the V2G Unit.

The unit should now automatically import to and export from the car as required, normally stopping when the car reaches 100% charge but remaining on and available.

If I’m short of charge in the battery at any time I press the boost button which will boost the car till it reaches 100% and then will stop. However it does not fall back to the default position of charge/ discharge automatically and I have to press the start button again before it will fall back into auto mode.

This is the way I’ve been operating, not sure if it’s the correct method.

Leo

Userlevel 2

Hi @Leo Moran That sounds odd. For me, I just plug the car back in when I get home, press the on/off button to fire up the connection and the charger works as expected, importing and exporting as it wants to for the rest of the day or until I unplug it again without me having to do anything else.

Julian

Userlevel 5

@TeaTimeSoon , yes it’s the same with mine...but the system won’t automatically top up your battery if it’s low, it will wait till a quiet period or when there’s an abundance of excess power, usually at night. If however I only have 30% and need a quick boost of a couple of hours for using the car later I have to press “Boost” and when complete it then won’t go back to automatic import and export, I have to reset it and it’ll be OK then.

Leo

Userlevel 2

@Leo Moran OK I understand now. I have not used Boost yet (only had my charger for 6 days and the need has not arisen) but I will pay close attention to this when I do have the need to use it.

I suppose it is possible that this is by design. The app designers may have decided that you will have chosen to give it a boost because you will be using the vehicle, and that you will be unplugging it and driving off. Later when plugging back in and pressing on/off it should revert to normal import/export behaviour as it sees fit (and according to any schedule you have set). Does that happen? 

Julian

Userlevel 5

@TeaTimeSoon, yes that is the case….but the reason I wanted to boost it was for two reasons. Firstly the unit had failed over night a couple of times and there was nothing to upload in the afternoon and on a couple of other occasions the unit has exported a lot in the morning and so I boosted back up to 100% for the start of the export at 4.00pm….so I got two exports in one day….money can be an evil thing…. Once the trial has run it’s course I’ll just leave the unit to do it’s own thing.

Leo

Userlevel 1

Hello.  My V2G charger was installed yesterday.  It all seems to be working fine.  I did not get a user manual though.  Can someone provide a link to the manual please.

Also, my SMETS2 meters were replaced with SMETS1 meters.  This means the OVO app and web page are no longer working.  As the SMETS1 meters arrived without a display unit, I now no longer have the ability to check usage in the house.  I was told the display unit will be shipped to me.

Does this all get sorted out automatically, or do I need to do anything?

Thanks,

Ian

Userlevel 5

@Ian Giddings , Can’t help you with the manual or the SMETS (always reminds me of The Blues Brothers). I use the OVO Energy app on my computer which gives me a daily usage of electricity and gas so I can see how much it’s costing me every day. Be warned though that you only get the V2G payment at the end of the month and they work a month in arrears. Plus the amount of electricity you use will go up enormously so don’t panic if you see £Hundreds added to your bill. It will all balance out within a couple of months. I also use the Kaluza app on my computer. If you can download both apps it may show on there what your consumption figures are...Leo

Userlevel 1

There is an FAQ on the APP which tells you more or less everything you need to know. (click the menu button, top left)

It does take some time for the online account to updated with the new meter details. Mine was done a month ago and it still hasn't updated. If the engineer said he would get an IHD sent out then it should arrive automatically. I think it’s within 28 days.

Userlevel 1

@gouldd_IHT and @Leo Moran.  Thanks for your replies.  I had my first issue with the charger today, with the app reporting a fault.  A power cycle sorted it out.  However, the mobile app just crashes when I attempt to change the minimum charge level.  I have emailed Kaluza support.  Is anyone else having similar problems this evening?

Userlevel 1

Yes, it just takes me to a blank screen, it’s been working fine up until today.

Userlevel 5

The team are aware of the issue, @Ian Giddings and @gouldd_IHT, they’re working on a resolution as we speak!