Pinned News

Vehicle to Grid: “Min/Max” charging coming soon!

• 22 November 2019
  • 26 replies
Vehicle to Grid: “Min/Max” charging coming soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So what’s going on?

Whilst battery chemistry and charging methods are still hiding some secrets, one commonly agreed upon belief is that charging a battery to (and leaving it at) 100% can be a cause of earlier degradation. It’s because of this that one of the key features that our trialists have requested is the ability to set both minimum and maximum charge levels. As with all trials, we’re all ears to your suggestions and take an approach of “continuous improvement” with all aspects of the trial.

You said, we listened! 

This feature is due to go live shortly, and you’ll have the ability to set a minimum charge level of 25%, and it will increase in 5% increments all the way to 100%.

We’re sure you’ll love this feature, and we’ll continue to listen to your feedback - there are a lot of great ideas out there!

26 replies

Userlevel 1

Is there any reason why we can’t go lower than 25%?

I know some people will always want some left in the battery for an emergency, but I’d like to be able to export as much as possible. Once my vehicle is home, its not going anywhere until the morning.

Userlevel 1

hi darran_ovo

am I right did the feature of maximum charge and minium not come on the website around about Monday as I noticed it on my kaluza desktop page and when I went on to set the settings it disappeared and has not been there again.

also why do I keep loosing my history info from see my history for hrs it just has a circle scrolling around before it shows the info.

Userlevel 4
Badge

That is great @Darran_OVO , thank you for this change! 

Is there any reason why we can’t go lower than 25%?

I know some people will always want some left in the battery for an emergency, but I’d like to be able to export as much as possible. Once my vehicle is home, its not going anywhere until the morning.

Totally agree. As a 24kw Leaf owner, I'd like the ability to set the minimum as low 5% so that I can use as much of that little battery as possible!

The way I see it, if I go to the car and it's flat, that's my fault not the V2G charger.

Userlevel 1

That is great news. I was really hoping that this feature would become available. Keeping batteries below 80% state of charge (SOC) is really important to minimise battery degredation. I am.really pleased that I did not give in to the very tempting Ohme lead on an Octopus tariff. Whilst I might well be better of financially with an Ohme, I am an advocate of V2G as I see it as unlocking the full potential of renewable energy. My charger will be installed in a few weeks. Very exciting.

Keeping the battery cool is also very important. Unfortunately, to use the charger my Leaf has to sit in the full sun. I really need a 15m charging lead so that I can continue to park my Leaf in the shade in the summer.

I can't see the extra length (and hence electrical impedance) causing an issue, as at 400V the current is relatively small.  Could a longer lead be made available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@gouldd_IHT I checked with the team and they’ve come back to me on your question about the min limit: 

Those limits are communicated to us by the car over the CHAdeMO connection. We are not allowed to go below those limits when discharging.  So in essence this is a limit set by Nissan. 

Hope that helps! 

Great to see some positive comments, glad you are looking forward to the new feature! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@gouldd_IHT I checked with the team and they’ve come back to me on your question about the min limit: 

Those limits are communicated to us by the car over the CHAdeMO connection. We are not allowed to go below those limits when discharging.  So in essence this is a limit set by Nissan. 

Hope that helps! 

Great to see some positive comments, glad you are looking forward to the new feature! 

Its probably not allowed to safeguard the battery. I believe the early batteries might be affected by deep discharge by degrading, which doesn```t worth the few pounds we would gain.

Userlevel 2
Badge

FYI @gouldd_IHT@pixelpefekt and @Ian Giddings 

The answer is as suggested by @Andras above and by @Darran_OVO  - the V2G Charger would be capable of exporting beyond the 25% limit, however the different Generations of LEAF have their own minimum charge that you cannot go below when Exporting. 

@garystokey - I’ve passed this information to our product team and we’ve just implemented a fix to what sounds like a similar loading problem - you may find that it’s been resolved with this latest update.

Userlevel 1

Hi all, does anyone have any news as to when the Max charging option will become available on the Kaluza app please?

Thanks,
Neil

Userlevel 4
Badge

Nope, still in the dark. Perhaps the engineers on holiday? :grinning:  Maybe someone in the FB group  @Leo Moran  knows more?

Userlevel 5

@Andras @monkeychew the app was posted and up for a day or two but there were glitches which needed rectifying. Kaluza have told me they are working on the problem and hope to have it up and running soon...as to how long? How long is a piece of string...

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @Leo Moran for the info!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the update @Leo Moran.

Userlevel 1

Any update on progress with the max charge limit?  My V2G charger was installed yesterday and I was hoping to see this feature in place.   Thanks.

Userlevel 5

@Ian Giddings , I’m in regular contact with Kaluza by e mail, the last time yesterday. They have informed me that a roll out will be shortly but no idea of when “shortly” will be. However if I wasn’t happy with the charge rate at the moment (mine has gone back to min 25% and max95% which is what I set it at on the app before it was withdrawn) then they can manually adjust it their end for me. If you want to adjust it, send them an e mail and I’m sure they’ll be happy to oblige….Leo

Userlevel 1

@Ian Giddings @Leo Moran I’ve been in contact with Kaluza and they are saying to enable the max charging option will require a firmware upgrade which is in final testing for release by the end of this month.

Userlevel 5

@monkeychew ..thanks for that update.

Userlevel 1

It’s the end of the month 🙂 any news Kaluza?

Userlevel 1

@jp1  Try this link and see if it activates the feature for you.

https://app.kaluza.com/electric-vehicles/settings/charge-range

Userlevel 1

@monkeychew thanks, still just has the minimum charge level for me, does this mean that others do already have the max charge setting?

Userlevel 1

@jp1 I have the feature after using that link, I cleared my browser cache aswell. Once I got the page loaded I changed the charge range and clicked the save button. The charge range feature has been available to me ever since.

Userlevel 1

@monkeychew haha, finally, tried the link again and it has updated the page, charge-range is now available excellent, thanks. 

Userlevel 5

Thanks for that chaps….but can the minimum of 25% be reduced to 10% for the 62 kW LEAFs?

Userlevel 5

My query this morning may sound a bit mercenary but please hear me out.

There are two things that appeal to me about OVO Energy, one is the V2G trial which is the main reason I changed to OVO in the first place...including a nice reward for the exports…..the second is because they pay interest on all money paid in advance up to £1,000. I’m presently on 4% interest and will move up to 5% later this year. My intentions are to build up enough in advance that, with the top up from the interest plus the credits for exports, the account will be self funding and I won’t need to make monthly payments for the electricity and gas.

It’s only since I’ve changed to the bigger battery that I’ve noticed the difference. In order to export more electricity to The Grid I’m also importing more electricity which last month cost me £232 (£2,784 annually) and which was debited daily from my advance account at a rate of £9-£10 a day. The export rewards are paid at the end of the month (or that is what it appears from the accounts) This will mean that, even though I would eventually begin the month with £1,000 in my account, by the end it will only be £750 and so I’ll effectively lose on average interest on £125 every month…….Losing £10 annually may not sound a lot and I agree that in compensation, I’m getting handsomely rewarded for the electricity I export but they are two different things…..the money for the exports is to compensate me for the wear and tear on the battery (so far 0.34% on the new 62 kW battery in 3 weeks….I’m hoping that’s just the battery settling in and not a sign of problems to come). The interest is payment for being in advance with the company.

I wonder if there’s any way the credits for the exports could be accounted for daily if they are not already so….or if those on the V2G scheme could be given an extension to the amount they pay in advance, say to an extra £100 or £200 pounds to allow for the extra electricity they are initially being required to purchase?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for that chaps….but can the minimum of 25% be reduced to 10% for the 62 kW LEAFs?

Hi @Leo Moran and happy new year everyone!

From the V2G team: 

So we’re not in a position to offer exports on a daily basis at this point. As this is a technical trial there’re elements which require manual intervention, and crediting exports on a daily basis just isn’t feasible.  

That said we appreciate your suggestion and should the trial be rolled out as a wider commercial offering we’ll consider this requirement.

Also they’ve advised me that a ‘feature request’ has been submitted on your behalf, for  lower minimum SoC, and they’ve recommended speaking to OVO to check on your options for the interest reward, as this will depend on how your charges are applied: drop an email to hello@ovoenergy.com