V2G running well, we are on the way now. Is it time to make some change?

• 16 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello all, 

We are well underway with the V2G trail, our system has been running flawlessly for, well a long time possibly since October so thats great news, and for the many its also great news that the long awaited software update is almost upon us, the release is due anytime from Kaluza ( don't sit on it too long !!) this should resolve so many of the niggles that a lot of you are having with the stability of the system as well as other bug fixes. 

In news from the Fb group we have lots of new installations underway as has been seen and a growing population and far more interaction than I can keep up with some days !!! but its providing positive feed back for all the team, I posed a question about what people would like to get ironed out, well for some reason people decided to DM me but here are the main factors I can across, the biggest issue was stability, but this has been addressed above so lets move swiftly on, the next was the overall app, many people like myself would like to see some changes, is it possible to make it so it doesn't constantly log the user out daily ? can we get the history button moved to the actual home page rather than the sub menu maybe by pressing “so far today’ or the info box below it ? bring back the front page Boost Button, this can be vitally important when you need to make things happen quickly small detail but we liked it on the main page. again the restricted charge has cropped up but I am sure this will be implemented with a “dial function on the charge circle that can be used to set min and max amounts. 

Outside the app, it was brought up OVO could show exports on the my OVO app and website when I say show exports i mean this in the same way it shows usage, it was also noted that this month export credits were missed etc but the biggest issue trialists are having it the emails that are automatically generated and the big red writing on the web site saying we need to up our direct debits, we all know the is not true but future users might now be so savvy as to ignore them this intern would actually cost OVO in account interest and this could run into ££££ in the bigger picture. 

Concerns have also been raised with regards to what people expect from the trial, it is urged that people fully understand what the equipment is for and how it will work for them or not, this has been explained that this is not for everyone and as such I encourage people to find out more before they join rather than joining and finding out that it doesn't work for them either practically or financially, it would be good to have more enlightenment for people on this thats they can search for when looking into the trial, simple things like losses and the fact it supplies the house first are causing issues as people are thinking they are going to save money when unfortunately “light users” are financially worse off the they would be if they just used a smart charger, this is causing some issues gaining support from prospective future users.  

My 2 pence worth ? well as always I would like to see solar included in this trail, the equipment is set to allow this to happen and as such I would like to see it rolled out. 

To summarise for this month the V2G trail is ramping ahead with installs going ahead daily, Kaluza support are getting on top of things and reply to customer questions as are OVO and rectifying concerns in relatively quick times, we are seeing less and less issues with the V2G units on a whole (and hopefully even less once Kaluza roll out the software update) so lets see what comes of the first month of this year as we approach the 6 month mark for the trails.

Thanks all from me !!! 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @Ash_OVO. The battery SoH isn’t a “concern”… well especially not for me because I have yet to buy an EV!

The figures from @Leo Moran suggest that battery degradation is not a problem with the charging cycles he uses anyway. What reduction in capacity he is seeing is more than compensated for by the income from exporting back to the grid.

My interest was to get a better idea of the likely payback time (Return on Investment) when contemplating buying an EV with the express desire to deploy it within a V2G scenario.

Eventually this comes down to the Tariff/Contract with the Energy Supplier. Late adopters of V2G technology may find that offering their stored energy for export isn’t the significant issue. The problem will be that the chosen Energy Supplier simply doesn’t take enough energy to make the strategy viable.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Useful info @Leo Moran, thanks. So that means I have some questions for Kaluza… which I’ll direct via @Ash_OVO 

1: Are you able to pick up the health-state of the battery via the stats you retrieve from the  V2G charger?

2: and if so… can you detect whether customers who use Boost charge are seeing more degradation of battery capacity?

3: Is this the only reason that export is currently limited to 18kWh regardless of the size of battery? And is this subject to review once you analyse battery degradation stats?

Hello @Leo Moran & @Transparent, I can confirm that we’re unable to pick up battery SOH via the V2G unit. If anyone has any genuine concerns and wishes to find out their batteries SOH, I would advise contacting their local Nissan dealership. You can also use LeafSpy to get a rough idea of SOH. 

With regards to the limitation of approx 18kWh per day, this is part of the warranty in place with Nissan. Whilst this is an ongoing trial and we work to better understand the benefits of V2G. Whilst some studies show the longterm effects of V2G appear to help with the longterm SOH of the battery, we believe working with certain limits in place is best practice during the trial. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m only repeating what @D10hul stated over here.

… and I’m still unsure if the cap is 18kWh or 18kW because those are quite different things!

Userlevel 5

@Transparent , Thanks for that, much appreciated…..though I’m curious about the export rate of 18 kWh...is that going to be what they increase it to, not 6.6 kWh? I think I’d need three phase for that...though I do have the ability to use two phase (if it actually exists). Presently I’m exporting about 3.3 kWh.

By the way have you seen Arron Russells videos of the visit to Bristol last June?….

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Useful info @Leo Moran, thanks. So that means I have some questions for Kaluza… which I’ll direct via @Ash_OVO 

1: Are you able to pick up the health-state of the battery via the stats you retrieve from the  V2G charger?

2: and if so… can you detect whether customers who use Boost charge are seeing more degradation of battery capacity?

3: Is this the only reason that export is currently limited to 18kWh regardless of the size of battery? And is this subject to review once you analyse battery degradation stats?

Userlevel 5

Not sure where to post this so I’ll let the gang decide…

I’ve now had the 62 kW LEAF for 10 weeks and thought you may be interested in the degradation of the battery. Now to put this into context, I have pushed the usage to the limit exporting 644 kW (minus 100) in December, 757 kW in January and 376 kW so far in February. I’ve also imported the same, plus about 7 kW per day. So the battery and the charger have been in almost constant use when not on the road. I have rapid charged no more than 10 times and the maximum charge rate hasn’t exceeded 46kWh...though it is capable of 100kWh. The rest of the charges have been type 2/ Chademo at 6.6/3.3 kWh. (total 132 QC and 31 Type 2 Chargers though about 120 of those QC charges will be the V2G Unit)

I checked the State of Health of the battery before leaving the showroom on 6th December with 4 miles on the clock and the SoH was 99.84%. I’ve checked the following

1st January……..357miles...99.5%

18th January….455miles...99.36%

2nd February..845miles...99.25%

14th February.1,125 miles..99.17%

So the battery has degraded 0.67% in 10 weeks of constant use. If that were to be taken accurately…..then the battery will degrade by 3.484% a year. With a range of 239 miles that will be a loss of about 8 miles per year…..considering I’m making about £1,200 a year in the export payments I think 8 miles difference is an acceptable loss….

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Anyone else arriving at this Topic should also head over to here where there’s discussion on a Webinar Unlocking the full potential of Vehicle to Grid. The main speakers are Tom Pakenham and Conor Maher-McWilliams of Kaluza.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @D10hul , 

Thank you for your write up, Its always good to hear feedback from our customers and is fantastic to hear that more and more people are engaging with the trial. 

I can confirm that we are always working on our app and trying to roll out new features/improvements where possible, this is in part, why we have stuck with a web-based app for the time being, rather than a native app. A web-based app is able to receive updates straight away, whereas a native app on an app store needs approval which can take a while. This being said, it is on our roadmap for the trial, we do not have an ETA for this. however, we will ensure everyone is alerted once this is available. I would advise anyone with feedback for the app, features they’d like or even things they don’t like, should email Support@Kaluza.com. This will enable us to raise a features request ticket that the team working on the app. 

I will speak with the team over at OVO Energy about possible ways to improve the Direct Debit (DD) reviews. Essentially it’s not always possible to say that being on the V2G trial and having export payments late etc would trigger a DD review. If an account is in any form of arrears or based on their estimated annual consumption it looks as though they could end up in debt, the system will always suggest an increase. If customers have any concerns with their DD reviews, I would always advise that they call the OVO customer service team who will be more than happy to look into this for them. 

With regards to the information surrounding the trial and what to expect, we have a dedicated onboarding team who are able to provide information on V2G and carry out calculations to work out the financial implications of being on the trial. They are available Monday - Friday between 9AM and 5PM and will be able to help with any onboarding related questions: 0330 102 7423

As always, if you ever need any support from the Support Team, please email us at Support@Kaluza.com