Pinned

V2G Charging/App Suggestions - please add yours!

• 16 October 2019
  • 37 replies
V2G Charging/App Suggestions - please add yours!
Userlevel 4
Badge

I thought we could open a separate thread, unless there is one already for suggestions to Kaluza regarding V2G charging. Also we could discuss these suggestions, if they are sensible or not. :sweat_smile:

Here are some of my suggestions, if any of these are already possible, please let me know.

• when finished exporting, the charger could switch itself off and back on, when scheduled to charge so we can avoid the system being in idle/using electricity unnecessarily for hours.
  • a button on the app to start or stop charging the car  (as with the Nissan leaf app)
  •  start normal charging, whenever we want without using the boost button

What ideas do you all have?  Add them below!!  

*Mod Edit: This is a great shout, this is the best place to add ideas etc as its regularly reviewed by the Kaluza team*

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What do you think @Peetee @Absolute Zero @falklandkid @Kat Leaf 

This kind of user feedback is very valuable to us! 

Userlevel 2

Not a critisism just my thoughts / questions on your points.

With regards to your first suggestion, the whole idea of the charger being in idle is that it is available to import or export on demand as the grid requires it taking into consideration your minimum charge level and the full charge required by schedule, i’m sure the energy usage in idle is minimal, and certainly not much more then the charger being in standby when disconnected.

Your second point, how does this differ from the boost button?

Your third point again how does this differ from the boos button?

Are you a member of the facebook group OVO V2G?  There is a lot of this type of discussion on there and the manufacturers of the charger are very active on there and pick up on suggestions and help with any faults.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi, I have already aired my thoughts on the V2G FB page, but just incase and I like to put it out on both platforms, my main issue going forward is my Smart charger and V2G unit need to talk to each other, at the moment if I plug both cars in to both units the V2G simply exports into the other car defeating the object really. 

I would like to see the system setup so;

if the V2G is exporting the smart charger is idle, 

if the V2G is idle so is the smart, 

If the V2G is charging so is the smart 

I would think it could be a direct hard link ? or software, I must also stress (for the readers) I think I am one of very few in to have this set up (both V2G and Smart)  and I don't mind been the test pilot, I am just giving my feed back, we are a 2 EV house hold as most house holds in the future will be so this is the future of total smart charging, I think 2 separate devices talking to each other is the way forward  once Its done we can throw solar in the mix ;-) 

For info at the Moment we make do with charge timers however this comes with its own issues, first a 30kw restricted to only charge between 1-8 (before 1am the V2G kicks in and exports direct to other car and also this can happen after 8am but more importantly this is usually when the car leaves and unfortunately its only got a 3.3 onboard charger) this doesn't allow this car to fully charge on occasions and secondly as my wife discovered to her horror when you forget to knock the timer off when charging away through the day your car doesn't charge, that was a stressful event for her, and finally it can also play havoc with the V2G unit if the car plugged in has a charge timer set as it faults the V2G resulting in a car not charging.

Agin I must stress this is a TRIAL and these are my findings and feed back, just some small issues that I am sure will become ironed out soon so the masses can enjoy the future of smart charging, EV driving and grid sustainability in the future !!!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @vespalads ,

I noticed quite considerable amount of electricity use, while the system was being in idle, I will keep an eye on that, maybe it was not the charger using electricity.

Regarding the boost charging, I was again just concerned of the higher electricity use and higher load on the battery as oppose to a normal charge or are the two charging methods behaving the same I wonder, then my concerns are really not valid.

I am not on Facebook, I don`t like to join either for various reasons. Hopefully answers will make their way to this forum.

I wonder if the in car schedule have an effect on the V2G charging, maybe that is why the car don`t get charged in the night? I will cancel the schedule today, see what happens...

Userlevel 2

Hi@vespalads ,

I noticed quite considerable amount of electricity use, while the system was being in idle, I will keep an eye on that, maybe it was not the charger using electricity.

Regarding the boost charging, I was again just concerned of the higher electricity use and higher load on the battery as oppose to a normal charge or are the two charging methods behaving the same I wonder, then my concerns are really not valid.

I am not on Facebook, I don`t like to join either for various reasons. Hopefully answers will make their way to this forum.

I wonder if the in car schedule have an effect on the V2G charging, maybe that is why the car don`t get charged in the night? I will cancel the schedule today, see what happens...

Yes it is now a known issue that Kaluza are working on with Indra, if you have a charge timer set in the leaf, it will fault the V2G unit when it tries to start the charge if the V2G is in idle. It is the same case with a climate timer. If the car is charging or in boost when the car timers trie to kick in then it will not fault as the V2G is ready to supply power.

Boost simply means the charger overrides the smart control of the charger and will charge your car to 100% or until you disable boost. The charger always charges at the same rate (variable depending on charge state, battery temperature etc) usually 5-6kw regardless if its charging in smart control, boost or when it defaults to charge on loss of network connection. It doesnt matter if you have a 3.3kw leaf or 6.6kw leaf either as it is using the V2G AC to DC converter not the cars unit so can charge all cars at upto 6kw.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you for clarifying that @vespalads I appreciate that!

Why have they removed the option to see previous months usage in the app? I used to be able to click on previous months as per below:

Now I can only see the current month. I have asked support but as usual no-one replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Why have they removed the option to see previous months usage in the app? I used to be able to click on previous months as per below:

Now I can only see the current month. I have asked support but as usual no-one replies

press the month to the side e.g. JUL ? 

press the month to the side e.g. JUL ? 

There are no months to the side any more, it now looks like this:

Do you see something different on your app?

Userlevel 2

Suggestion from a non-commuter

I understand that it is tricky to make an app like this both simple AND totally functional and know that if the developers were to simply throw every possible configuration option into the settings, it would become user hostile rather than user friendly!

BUT, I do think it is worth considering an way to schedule specific target times within a forthcoming period (e.g. 24 or 48 hours) when I want the vehicle to be at 100% charge, and once that “appointment” time/date has passed, return to the usual schedule (if set).

Think of it as a temporary override. I work from home so do not have a daily commute. I have therefore turned off my daily schedules. BUT now I have to be sure that when I know I have a meeting at some distance on a particular date, I need to be on the ball to set up a schedule or manually boost to ensure I have 100% charge at the required time for that trip.

If I could easily click on a button grid representing 1 or 2 hour slots over the next few days, indicating that I need 100% charge at that time, that would be great - and the grid would always show only the forthcoming 24 or 48 hours (scrolling by as days go by) and the times I have set would be shown as highlighted buttons or grid squares. I guess a week in advance might also work without being too obtrusive.

If I get a moment I might throw a visual example of how I see this, but I hope my text description is clear enough to be understood.

Cheers

Julian

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @TeaTimeSoon 

That sounds like the in car charge schedule to me, which would make it familiar to Leaf owners at least, not sure about other cars like the Zoe, not sure if they are part of the trial. It would make sense in my opinion. I am sure they will make changes as the trial will progress.

Userlevel 2

Appointment Style Scheduling

I would like to schedule for 100% charge being available at a time or times when I may not by around to press the boost button 2 or 3 hours in advance. Relying on my brain to remember to press the boost button at the right moment is sub-optimal. I would really like to plan with a set and forget option for a known 100% charge requirement some days ahead - on a rolling schedule and to have these “appointments” forgotten once their times have gone by. These “appointments” would override the fixed scheduling (which would continue and act as the default).

The UI suggested might look something like this: 

suggested UI for an “appointment” style schedule

Please note on this diagram, the current time is 10am on Wednesday (white indicated times in the past) and I have clicked on 12pm Thursday (tomorrow) and 8am Friday to set those times as specific “appointments” when I need my Leaf to be at 100% charge.

I hope this is clear and something like this might be doable.

Cheers

Julian

Userlevel 1

Julian - I like your suggestion and have previously fedback to Ovo Support that I would find that helpful. I do have a schedule set, but there are some days that I come in in the evening then go out again and don't return until the following day, because I go to my boyfriend's house. I generally know in advance when that will be. Because it is now second nature to plug in as soon as I get home, I forget not to and then have a drained battery by the time I leave! This isn't normally a big problem as he lives nearby and I work nearby so can usually get away with it, maybe with a quick rapid charge if needs be. But it would be good to be able to sit down and programme those days out of the schedule in advance. Like you, it's not a criticsm, this is the whole point if being part of a trial, to be able to feedback what tweaks would be useful in real life. 

Userlevel 1

can anyone please tell me what to search for on the facebook V2G site I have tried searching V2G on facebook but nothing about it comes up apart from ovo videos etc

Userlevel 1

@garystokey Ovo V2G

Userlevel 4
Badge

Same thing with my screen, I expect same for everyone, @Leo Moran @vespalads @TeaTimeSoon ?

Also why cant we still set maximum charging yet, it was there in the app, then wasnt, than they said it was coming and it isnt, what is going on? Does anyone know more about that?

Userlevel 5

@Andras @monkeychew Just a query here….have you had the V2G charger replaced or re programmed. If so it deletes all the information on the App and starts afresh as it’s a completely new unit….I was prewarnd about it thanks to @aaronr and saved all my previous logs…

Leo

Userlevel 2

Same thing with my screen, I expect same for everyone, @Leo Moran @vespalads @TeaTimeSoon ?

Also why cant we still set maximum charging yet, it was there in the app, then wasnt, than they said it was coming and it isnt, what is going on? Does anyone know more about that?

On that screen shut if you click on Jul or Sep you get that months data. All my history is available for the 3 months i have had the charger.

Userlevel 2

can anyone please tell me what to search for on the facebook V2G site I have tried searching V2G on facebook but nothing about it comes up apart from ovo videos etc

https://www.facebook.com/groups/504403987059410/

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks @vespalads , it did not work for me last time, it does today. Sorry, can`t help with that, I am not on Facebook.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @vespalads , it did not work for me last time, it does today. Sorry, can`t help with that, I am not on Facebook.

Shame because you are missing out on a lot of information and user interaction on the Facebook group, i think most people find it a lot easier to engage with the Facebook group then an old fashioned forum like this one.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I see. I` will think about it! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

I see. I` will think about it! :slight_smile:

Have you looked at the FAQ section on the V2G app? they are improving all the time with more information about the common issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Good point, will do! Perhaps there could be a little alert sign (green dot changes to red?) in the app, when they change or add something, or a section for new features, so nobody misses out?

Userlevel 2

Good point, will do! Perhaps there could be a little alert sign (green dot changes to red?) in the app, when they change or add something, or a section for new features, so nobody misses out?

Indra answered this yesterday on a Facebook post, the green dot actually does mean there is a change in the menu that you have not yet clicked on, however its permanently on at the moment as the maximum charge setting was put on and then hidden as it wast quite ready.