Solved

V2G and specifying car charge level?

• 27 September 2019
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Thinking of joining ovo v2g. If I plug an 80% charged car in and tell it I need 30% battery the next morning, what happens? Does it power the house and/or feed the grid and leave the car at exactly 30%? TIA.
icon

Best answer by garystokey 29 September 2019, 09:53

hi dave
I am on the v2g have been since mid august when I got my new 40kw leaf used to have a 30 kw . so your correct in your thinking when you plug your car in depending on the load on the grid it will start to export from the car to the grid but on average at that time of the day appears to be about 3.4 kw. I can only give my situation. So hope this helps. I get home from work 30 miles per day usually with about 88% charge in the car it starts to export straight away if I check my in house meter it shows zero usage of electric because I believe what's been used for the house is drawn from the car and what's spare is exported to the grid at 30p per kw. Once the charge gets down to your set % set by you on the app the systems stops exporting mine is set at 30% it looks like it then goes into idle mode with nothing in nothing out depending on the load on the grid this is usually about 10.30 in my situation. the charger will then start to charge at 12 o'clock at night until 7 in the morning when the car is 100% charged ready for my journey to work again the time you require the 100% is set in the app.

This is the part that's a bit confusing you receive the V2G credits one month behind. So I have just received my august bill which also includes £75 they pay you to be on the scheme(this was only decided they would pay this after reviews from others on the V2G scheme they also upped the pay back from 23p per kw to the now 30p pkw) and the exported credits are shown on the bill separate but only the amount and nothing about how much exported kw. So for me its all up in the air as to whether I make money on the system or not next months bill will show better for me when I see true cost but first signs are good.

I have had the charger fail twice and it not charged my car so two morning I was at 30% charge still ok for my journey to work the charger corrected its self with a switch off and on and was reported by me to the charger supplier but as you know it a trial so we are the Guinea pig for this and I guess things can go wrong.
hope this helps
gary
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 1
hi dave
I am on the v2g have been since mid august when I got my new 40kw leaf used to have a 30 kw . so your correct in your thinking when you plug your car in depending on the load on the grid it will start to export from the car to the grid but on average at that time of the day appears to be about 3.4 kw. I can only give my situation. So hope this helps. I get home from work 30 miles per day usually with about 88% charge in the car it starts to export straight away if I check my in house meter it shows zero usage of electric because I believe what's been used for the house is drawn from the car and what's spare is exported to the grid at 30p per kw. Once the charge gets down to your set % set by you on the app the systems stops exporting mine is set at 30% it looks like it then goes into idle mode with nothing in nothing out depending on the load on the grid this is usually about 10.30 in my situation. the charger will then start to charge at 12 o'clock at night until 7 in the morning when the car is 100% charged ready for my journey to work again the time you require the 100% is set in the app.

This is the part that's a bit confusing you receive the V2G credits one month behind. So I have just received my august bill which also includes £75 they pay you to be on the scheme(this was only decided they would pay this after reviews from others on the V2G scheme they also upped the pay back from 23p per kw to the now 30p pkw) and the exported credits are shown on the bill separate but only the amount and nothing about how much exported kw. So for me its all up in the air as to whether I make money on the system or not next months bill will show better for me when I see true cost but first signs are good.

I have had the charger fail twice and it not charged my car so two morning I was at 30% charge still ok for my journey to work the charger corrected its self with a switch off and on and was reported by me to the charger supplier but as you know it a trial so we are the Guinea pig for this and I guess things can go wrong.
hope this helps
gary
Userlevel 1
Thanks Gary, some great info there. One minor point - I understand you can set a minimum charge level on the car, in your case 30%. Then overnight it recharges to 100% in time for the morning..... is it possible to set it to only recharge to a level below 100% or does the app only ask you to set a departure time which it will charge to 100% for?

Many thanks!
Userlevel 1
So the online set up only allows you to set the time you need the charge but you cannot change how much always goes to 100% unless you get up in the middle of the night and stop it off course! Only override online set up is boost charge to override the current charge/discharge condition.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi all,

My name is Andras. I am new to the forum. I just had my charger installed last week. It seem to work fine. First time I set the minimum charge to 25% and the car did not get charged up it stayed at 25% in the next morning. Yesterday I set the minimum charge to 30% an the car was fully charged.

It would be good if there was an option to charge to 80%. Why does the charger override the 80% maximum charge set in the car? Charging to 100% all the time is not good for the battery, it will degrade quicker.

I will probably use my old charger overnight to charge up to 80% until the OVO charger will be able to do that.

The OVO charger is charging a lot quicker than my podpoint one. I wonder if that and the exporting are going to degrade the battery sooner? I am going to monitor the state of health of the battery with the leafspy pro app and if I see any degradation I will let you guys know. I am hoping this will not happen!🤞🏼
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Andras welcome to the forum!! Great to have you on board.

Perhaps one of our fellow forum members and V2G trialists would like to offer some insight or advice here based on their experiences?

@IanJBelper @piersjk @Leo Moran @aaronr @Andy Woodland @garystokey @wwfc_dave @MaximumFish @Ajerthebadger
Userlevel 3
Badge
@Andras Keep an eye out for future updates of the Kaluza app. I think that's probably as much as I'm allowed to say. 😇

In the meantime, the impact on your battery of being kept at 100% will be pretty insignificant, really.

Also important to note, is that your battery will not be kept at 100% for long. Maybe a few hours at a time. It will be discharged down usually as far as your chosen minimum threshold each day, so that daily cycling of your battery will have more impact on your battery health.

Even with that said, based on my own anecdotal experience of the daily cycling (and also @Leo Moran 's more detailed research which I think is on another thread in the forum -- I strongly recommend taking a look at that!), this impact is also pretty minimal, low enough that it's basically of zero concern to me.
Userlevel 5
Ditto...what he said....
Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks@aaronr I will check that thread out. It is exciting to be part of the trial, thank you OVO for the opportunity, I hope I can be of further assistance.

Today I plugged the charger in and forgot to switch it on, realized 10min later, though. I was wondering maybe the charger could be programmed to start exporting or charging automatically upon plugging it in?

Andras

Userlevel 5

Good point @Andras, I’ve wondered about that as well. No problem with the 7 kW charger, it starts straight away. I wonder why the V2G charger can’t do the same?...Over to you Team...

Userlevel 3
Badge

That would be a really handy addition@Andras , if this could be looked into by OVO/Kaluza it would be a welcomed feature!

It seems like it would be possible as if the charger is turned off (at the fuse or isolator), and then turned back on while the car is connected, it’s smart enough to detect the car and start charging. So it should, in theory, be able to detect the car at the point of plugging it in...

Userlevel 4
Badge

Also instead of the idle period that is using 265 W, the charger could switch off when finished exporting electricity and back on, at the optimal time to recharge the car, saving pennies and electricity. :slight_smile: Sorry if this has been mentioned already!

Andras

Userlevel 4
Badge

Anyone else noticed you can set the charge range now? Well done Kaluza! I set mine 25%-95% for now. 

Userlevel 5

Does anyone know if that includes the update for the Firmware? My charger crashed twice on Saturday/ Sunday but appears to have survived the night last night...

Userlevel 4
Badge

I was a bit sleepy this morning and forgot to check, but I have a feeling that the car was charged to 100% instead of 95%, so maybe the firmware update is not yet done. 

Userlevel 5

I redid my settings on the app with the car set to be ready for 5.00am but this morning it had changed back to 7.00am. I did think I hadn’t set it correctly but now you mention it, I also set it to 95% and this morning it’s 100%...and on just checking with the App the maximum setting has gone and I only have a minimum setting available…...oops! I think the App is having a tantrum.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Kaluza must have realised the issue and reverted back, until they sort it out I guess?