The V2G app has changed! but do we like it?

• 18 December 2019
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello all, 

Back again ! , well as some might have seen the FB group has been on fire with the “new” face of the app last night, I have had message pinging all over !!

Firstly I think its a step in the right direction, however I feel its a bit confused ? we did like the old page with the “boost button” on the front page and also quick access too your history here too !

Amongst other features such as solar matching “ further bolstering the argument for OVO offering solar too ?”  and a feature of entering a tariff however this doesn't seem to activate anywhere as of yet. 

charge limiting should show in this too, I have expressed an interest in this feature to be activated simply by tapping the available segments to turn them red stopping them from being charged. 

Anyway lets see what the forum thinks !!

27 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge

So as you can see, from and too, the differences are quite a lot, ( the smart+ has also changed to this style too) but I think most will agree the first option was far more user friendly, quick to navigate ? 

I am sure there will be some better input here, I have already had a my 2p worth with the designer ( he probably hates me now lol ) so now its your go !!

Userlevel 1

My main issues are the flyout menu options are buggy and show as smart charger (without minimum charge) and the history page is less accessible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good to have you back @D10hul 

What do we think of the changes @garystokey @Andras @pixelpefekt @Ian Giddings @Leo Moran ?

This will be passed on ^^^

Userlevel 1

The new features will be great.  Optimised charging for solar and multiple tariff rates is a good step forward.  However, there is still some development to do.  As mentioned by @D10hul, whilst you can input your tarif data (p/kWh), the data is not currently used.

There also seems to be quite a few bugs to sort out.  For example, the option to set a minimum state of charge (SOC) only randomly appears in the menu.

Most importantly, it appears that my charger has stopped exporting.  Today the car has been plugged in for 16h37 and charging for all but 2 minutes.  Energy exported from the car is only 0.4kWh.  My battery is sat at 100% and has been most of the day, apart from when the car went on a trip.  I have tried power cycling the charger, but no joy.  All the lights on the charger appear normal.  Is anyone else having this issue?  If this is a widespread issue, perhaps the web app version should be rolled back to return the core function of exporting?

I hope this does not come across as whinging.  I am happy to be on the trial and understand how difficult development can be.  The V2G scheme is a fantastic opportunity and I appreciate the hard work that goes into such endeavours.

Keep up the good work.

Userlevel 5

I was happy with the old one but I’m sure it’s just a matter of adapting to the new one. I’m sure the next time you change it I’ll complain about that too. One thing people hate is change, it means they have to exercise the grey matter….

Can I ask about the maximum and minimum settings? I know the maximum settings will be sorted once the firmware is updated but what about the minimum setting. 25% on the 62 kW LEAF is 15 kWs, half that of the 30 kW so if that one can drop to 25% or 7.5 kWs, can the minimum setting be lowered to 12.5% on mine? it will still deliver the same level as the 30 kW LEAF.

Userlevel 1

@Leo Moran are you exporting anything?  My ability to export has stopped with the new version of the webapp.

Userlevel 4
Badge

It looks a bit fancier, I dont really use the boost button, but its good that you can stop it now. It still exported for me today @Ian Giddings . 

Its interesting it seems that since I set the 95% charge, when it was available for 5 minutes, it seems to charge to that.

It would be nice to see the amount of kWh that goes back to grid and back to the house separately. Does that make sense?

Userlevel 1

Hmmm.  Just spotted that the solar optimisation setting has disappeared from the schedule page on the app.  I had set this and so I wonder if this is related to my lack of exports?  I have emailed Kaluza support and so should find out soon I hope.  Thanks for your reply @Andras.

Userlevel 5

@Ian Giddings, @Andras No problems with exporting yesterday...but the unit stopped about 2.30am and I only have half a battery…. can’t complain though. I’ve still got more than someone with a 30 kW LEAF so in reality I’m not that badly off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Heads up everyone, announcement post here on the V2G app update which caused a menu issue - if you were effected, check it out!

Userlevel 1

Since the new app launch, my exports have ceased too (with the exception of around 0.3kw/day). Really frustrating as the car is going to be sat there doing nothing for the next couple of weeks.

As for the app, I miss having the boost button on the home screen - I’m guessing it’s been pushed into the menu to reduce height on the home page for mobile devices. I like the circle of 10 squares which indicate charge level but I miss the animation on the battery which used to animate fill/empty the cell as the car charged/discharged. 

Another problem I see that when I set the minimum charge to 25%, my 24kw Leaf won’t go lower than 30%. I’d love to be able to reduce the minimum to as low as 5%.

Overall though, it’s good looking and easy to use webapp.

Userlevel 1

Another problem I see that when I set the minimum charge to 25%, my 24kw Leaf won’t go lower than 30%. I’d love to be able to reduce the minimum to as low as 5%.

That is set by Nissan, so it will never drop below 30% :-(
Apparently, the new 60kw Leaf will go to 10%

Userlevel 1

Hi @pixelpefekt.  I got the charger working again (exporting) on Saturday by switching it off and on again with the car connected; I pushed the off button on the charger and then operated the mains isolator and waited about 30 seconds before powering it up again)  Previously, I had tried switching it off and on again, but with the car disconnected.  I am not sure this was not just luck after an over the air software update, but it might be worth a go.

I reported the problem on Wednesday last week and only heard from the support team at Kaluza today, which is a little slow for my liking.  Have you reported the issue to Kaluza?  Still grateful to be on the trial though.  Looking forward to the max charge feature.

Good luck with getting the issue resolved.  I too was very much looking forward to the Leaf powering Christmas.  Hopefully this can still happen for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This App still seems to me that it’s having to create features simply because OVO doesn’t yet offer a half-hour variable tariff.

To me the logical approach to charge an EV is to configure it with a “rule set” such as

• charge when price per kWh less than 12p
  • ensure it has at least 25% charge at 8am
  • export when price per kWh greater than 23p
  • limit charge/discharge cycling to 50kWh/day (to preserve battery life)

I’m not suggesting that each part of the rule-set be separately configured. This could readily be achieved with a couple of sliders, reflecting personal preferences.

Userlevel 5

@gouldd_IHT , at the moment my 62 kW LEAF won’t go below 25% but that’s the setting I had it set on the old 40 kW LEAF with a maximum of 95%…..that said my average export is only 22 kWs per day, about 3 more than the 40 kW LEAF. In theory I should be able to export 42 kWs on the 25/95% range but the most I’ve ever exported was 37.8 kWs...and that was in two sessions with a recharge in between or 30.3 kW in one charge. When they upgrade the export from 3.4 kWh to 6 kWh and I change the settings to 10%/95%...in theory I should be able to export 51 kWh…….but having the ability to do it and actually doing it remain to be seen.

Given that the V2G is still unreliable with it faulting a day or two every week I’ll leave it at 25% minimum which will still give me a 60 mile range rather than risking waking up in the morning and finding I only have 10% in the battery.

Userlevel 5

@Transparent , I like the suggestions but there’s only about 150 people presently on the V2G trial after 6 months, nowhere near the 1,000 they want to sign up over 2 years. Restricting the export limit to 25kWh will put off people who are looking for the financial gain (don’t class me in that group, I  signed up when I was making a loss with 8p per kWh not 30p). Once the scheme is up and running then yep, agree with your reasoning but need to get the punters in first.

Another thing is protecting the battery. When I traded the 40kW for the 62 kW LEAF after 2 years... and 4 months on the V2G Scheme the battery degradation was only 4%. They’re guaranteed to 75% for 8 years and I’ll probably be changing to the new 4x4 LEAF in 2021 so I’m not overly concerned about the battery life though I accept and appreciate that you look at every angle. If the degradation of the 62kW is the same as the 40 kW I’ll still have a range of 229 miles...I can live with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Considering the level of teething problems, @Leo Moran, I’m unsurprised that only 150 of the projected 1000 are part of the current V2G Trial. As issues get resolved, there is likely to be an increase in the take-up rate.

As for configuration settings, I’m not suggesting a preset export limit. I’m merely observing that an end-user is likely to want to configure one.

From observations we’ve made during last year’s OpenLV Trial, there are all sorts of parameters which matter to different people. So yes, I try to keep and open mind and consider every angle. Programming an App to accommodate a wide range of personal preferences is a highly skilled job.

It’s possible that Kaluza will build-in some level of machine-learning so that the App is biassed to offer preferences and tariff-incentives which each customer is likely to find useful.

Userlevel 2

I’m having the same issues as @pixelpefekt is having since the new app update.  My V2G unit now sits “IDLE” at 100% without exporting anything.  It’s like the unit is behaving as a Smart Charger rather than a V2G as it knows to top up the car during low demand electricity hours over night but doesn’t know to export during peak demand.  Can’t believe the app interface has caused this as the changes just look cosmetic in nature, but it seems strange a few people have mentioned this issue since the app update.

As for improvements in the app, it would be good to be able to view the log files of your unit, to see what commands, status changes and errors have been reported/received by the unit.  Especially when it’s sitting IDLE for days on end, and you have no idea why.  Or if it faults in the middle of the night what has caused it to fail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmmm… I’m not convinced that the failure to export is directly attributable to the App update, @piersjk.

As I understand the system, the commands to your Charger are sent solely from Kaluza’s control software via the internet. So if Export isn’t working, the following are the most likely reasons

• the Kaluza platform hasn’t sent the command
  • the network link between your home router and the charger isn’t operating
  • the network interface in the charger has failed (which probably means it “fails safe” in a mode which still permits charging)

Has anyone on this Trial got sufficient knowledge to login to your own home router and check if it can “see” the Charger? @D10hul?

Userlevel 2

Hi @Transparent ,

Yes, I can see the v2g unit MAC address on my router settings and connected.  The unit will flash purple if it loses internet connection and go into fail safe charging mode.  Mine has the white light meaning all is good with the unit.

I'm guessing the must be an issue with the Kaluza platform not sending commands to certain units, as it's not affecting all v2g users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @piersjk - I agree with your diagnosis.

When they get back in the New Year, I wonder if Kaluza staff would care to tell us what differentiates the sites that aren’t Exporting from those that are?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the comments everyone - see the latest on this export issue here

Happy new year! 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I see Ovo has a new smart charger with a Kaluza app to go with. Will this app be available for V2G trialist or can it be done, is there anyone with some inside knowledge? @Transparent  @Leo Moran 

Userlevel 5

Sorry @Andras ….I’m not an insider.