Smart Charger V2G Power Losses

• 15 November 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

This is the topic to report on your power losses experienced during the charging discharging cycle

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ha, @D10hul well OVO own this forum, we don’t own the Facebook group, so want to make sure it works for our users!!  

We are definitely reviewing how we handle V2G comments and get find better ways of managing issues and questions.  We’re not perfect, never claimed to be, but we want this forum to provide a central space for everyone (as not everyone is on social), as it’s easier for us to keep track of our customers issues and queries, rather than these being spread out over multiple sources..  

Whatever we do someone won’t be happy or like it, but we are trying to make this more usable and more timely in regards to responses and comments etc.  So watch this space. :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Darran_OVO  though you would pic this thread up ! 

I amongst others do try to push this forum for all the reasons you state, I know it needs to exist! I was pointing out to benefit of social media also, but I will stand by my statements its just not my thing forums there a bit slow to respond unless you press the right button lol 😉! Just like for others social media doesn’t work everyone to the own!   I will pop back from time to time. Best of luck 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the support @TeaTimeSoon!!   As I mentioned before, not everyone is on Facebook, and worth noting the forum isn’t just about V2G.  There’s plenty of other subjects covered that get a lot of activity too.  

Get your point to a degree @D10hul however you could help and encourage more people to get signed up here and get involved then we’d get better visibility of what’s going on and generate more useful discussion. 

If you’re having issues logging in each time, we can look to see what we can do about that.  Always happy to investigate ways to make the forum easier to use and more engaging.  For the record a lot of what is published is not curated and is driven from users.  We like to be honest and up front, unlike other suppliers. 

We will continue to drive the forum forward.  We can definitely look at making everything V2G easier to navigate to give you a reason to come and get more involved and encourage others to do the same.  I know @Tim_OVO is keen to make this work as well as it can for all our V2G users, the more that get involved, the more activity there will be on here, so as OVO, we can provide even better support.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

@TeaTimeSoon  @vespalads hi, I find this sort of form of “chat” a little, well 1990s ? It’s clunky and a pain in the tits, has pop ups that need to be cancelled or blocked and worst of all is moderated by the Owner so the content is well like a communist country, it’s swept up and conforms,  although a respect your decision to “bin” face book I get that I have twitted etc etc but never use them they take up too much of my life, but not as much as clunky old forums would, registering every time spending hours searching through comments for results that arnt there because quite frankly no one else bothers ! 
anyway that’s as you put it my opinion ! 

back to the question, yes the V2G it’s a great bit of kit, I also have a way of monitoring its credentials or economy, we won’t go into it, and it performs quite well, even better in cold temperatures my transitional losses are less than .3kw per 24 hours that equates to less than 5p a day not bad I would say, and if you were on say a Social media forum you would also have the information regarding this and that there is also a update in Q1 2020 to make the unit even more efficient in different ways, but as you prefer the forum that doesn’t really get any use they I guess you’ll just have to hope it’s posted on here! If I remember I will take the time to post stuff on here so you can benefit from other sources. But this is the first time I have been on here in months !!    

Userlevel 2

OK “forcing” was putting it too strongly, but it is a shame that most of the world does not share my view ;-) I take comfort in knowing that at least some people are starting to share my viewpoint.

The decision to delete my Facebook account was painful to take, but I feel cleaner and a better person as a result (and the coffee enemas and kale smoothies are helping enormously ;-)

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage others to use this forum rather than Facebook. It would certainly make me a happier bunny.

Userlevel 2

Facebook Facebook Facebook… Why can’t we use a forum that is not run by an evil organisation intent on selling your personal data to the highest bidder?

I, like others who have commented here, do not want to participate in the Facebook exploitation regime with a history of “accidental” or maybe deliberate data leaks and sales.

I would agree that Facebook is appealing to businesses due to their micro-targeting for advertising purposes, but honestly, don’t try and force us to use it when we know what is best for our health (data security and privacy health that is).

Just my opinion :-)

No one is forcing you, i just said you should consider it. This is the official Forum that OVO support, but it has significantly less user interaction and discussion then the facebook group.

Userlevel 2

Facebook Facebook Facebook… Why can’t we use a forum that is not run by an evil organisation intent on selling your personal data to the highest bidder?

I, like others who have commented here, do not want to participate in the Facebook exploitation regime with a history of “accidental” or maybe deliberate data leaks and sales.

I would agree that Facebook is appealing to businesses due to their micro-targeting for advertising purposes, but honestly, don’t try and force us to use it when we know what is best for our health (data security and privacy health that is).

Just my opinion :-)

Userlevel 2

Indra are quite open on the fact that the figures reported by the charger are not accurate, they are working on the firmware to try and improve accuracy.

so your 20% loss may not be a true indication.

you should consider joining the OVO V2G facebook group, lots of discussion going on and a lot more users then there seems to be on here. Indra the manufacturers of the charger are also ver active on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/504403987059410/

Userlevel 2

I see 20% power loss in the charge discharge cycle. Anyone else measured this?

Here is an example - the car was not used at all this day or the previous day:

Time Plugged In 23h 59m
Charging time 2h 40m
Energy imported to car 12.3 kWh
Energy exported from car 9.9 kWh

On each day, the charger discharged the car down to 30% by midnight, so on this day it represented a true 30% → 100% → 30% cycle and shows the energy used to charge the battery from 30% to 100%, then taking out energy to drop it down to 30% again. It is a significant number - and I assume is caused primarily by losses in the AC/DC converter in the smart charger. Can this be improved?