News

November's Import/Export - OVO V2G Latest

• 20 December 2019
  • 9 replies
November's Import/Export - OVO V2G Latest
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For our third statistics release we’re going to focus on November, and we’ll see the impact of the first month of GMT and dropping temperatures. It’s hard to avoid extra energy usage during the winter months, and that’s where V2G will be particularly effective in balancing the grid.

Once again, and of particular interest for those who guessed a total export figure - the closest guess will be revealed later in this article!

To give clarity and provide information on our V2G trial, we’re releasing these stats and only include units which were installed for the whole of November.

Another 35 trialists joined in November and, if you’re one of them and reading this now, welcome and thank you for helping us develop and understand energy solutions of the future! Installs have continued through November, with more than 150 V2G units installed since the trial began

Note: When looking at the following figures, it’s worth remembering that totals include solar exports, as we’re paying 26p/kWh for solar exports in addition to the V2G exports.

Maximums

As a collective, our trialists exported 17,126 kWh of energy - enough energy to power a Nissan LEAF for over 70,000 miles!

The highest individual export from one of our solar trialists was 552kWh. The total export credit was an amazing £161.39!

The maximum non-solar trialist export was 463kWh, and this resulted in an export credit of £156.18!

Averages

For balance, the average export payment for our solar trialists was £80, and £71 for non-solar trialists. That’s £960  and £852 a year respectively!

The averages again demonstrated that, even with daylight hours reducing, the benefits of solar pay off when exporting: Our solar average was 274Wh, and the non-solar average export was 208kWh.

With an answer of 16,666kWh, forum user @NAME@ submitted the closest prediction in our “Guess the Export” competition, and they will be the recipient of a £50 voucher!

If you have a LEAF and would like to speak to the team, find out more about the trial or get an insight into the potential benefits that V2G could give to you, visit www.ovoenergy.com/v2g , email v2g@ovoenergy.com or call 0330 102 7423.

See previous import/export announcement posts here and here!

9 replies

Userlevel 5

Not that I’m whinging...but…..you quote….”The maximum non-solar trialist export was 463kWh, and this resulted in an export credit of £156.18!”….I thought everyone across the board was getting 30p for export (minus what you paid for the import) which in my calculator comes to £138.90. Also is “The maximum non solar finalist” based on the electricity exported or how much they were paid….cause according to Kaluza I exported 486.6 kWh from my car in November. I can only assume the energy exported from my car is different from that exported to the grid. The amount imported from the grid was 537.9 kWh and I realise that some of this will have been used by the house and some to covert AC to DC to AC etc…. Is there anyway we can work this out ourselves please?

PS, I’m not after any titles...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Leo Moran

I hope you are well.

I can confirm that as part of the calculation, there is an uplift for roundtrip efficiency - the calculation for exports is as follows:

(exported kWh x export rate) x (1/0.89)

so: (463.62 x 0.30) x (1/0.89) = £156.18

With regards to seeing how much you’ve exported to the grid vs what’s been exported via the vehicle, you are able to view your property exports by pressing ‘9’ on your smart meter. The Kaluza application will only show you what’s been exported from the vehicle. 

If you have any further questions, please let me know. :relaxed:

Userlevel 5

Thanks for that Ash...much appreciated….

However I’m old school and don’t understand the terminology or arithmetic.

What does “ there is an uplift for roundtrip efficiency” mean?

Secondly I’m used to fractions or decimal and don’t mix the two...can you explain the calculation please?

Leo

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Leo Moran

The uplift is additional funds added to your export payment to cover any potential losses you may encounter, such as from the conversion DC and AC and the small amount of energy used by the unit whilst on standby. 

To break down the calculation, using the above figures, we essentially take the exported figure of 463.62 kWh and times it by the export rate £0.30 to get a total of £138.90. We then take that total and add the uplift by timesing it by 1 divided by 0.89. 

so: 463.62 times 0.30 equals 138.90, times this by 1 and then divide by 0.89 and this will give you a total of £156.18. 

I hope this helps. 

Userlevel 5

Thanks for that Ash,

Again, many thanks for the explanation and I now see why the multiplier is used. Always wondered about that 10% loss when converting form AC to DC and again back to AC.

Leo

When I join V2G what best tariff should I be buying at please? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

When I join V2G what best tariff should I be buying at please? 

Hello @Taz , 

To take part in the V2G Trial you must be on a single rate tariff and with OVO for the duration of the two-year trial. This can be either the ‘Better Energy’ plan (1yr) or the ‘Two Year Fixed’ plan. 

If you’re already with OVO, you can upgrade when your renewal is due by logging into my OVO > My Profile > My Plan > See my Fix Priced Offers. 

If you’re not with OVO yet, simply go on to OVO Quote and Switch, alternatively, OVO also has a dedicated plan for EVs which can be found here

I can't have Economy7 so what is the cheapest i can buy and is the 0.30 p KW export is that anytime of the day as I work different shifts from one week to another (0600~1400 / 1345~2145)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @Taz, as prices can vary by region, I couldn’t say what would be the cheapest plan/rates for you, however, you can find this information by using the above links and popping your postcode in.  

With regards to the export, where there is no other form of export/solar, the export would be £0.30 per kWh at all times.