Solved

My V2G charger is not working - kept flashing red and tripped main battery?

• 24 September 2019
  • 67 replies

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @Karlkb15 for keeping us informed here on the Forum.

I had a conversation with a Fitter working for Western Power Distribution last week. There is widespread interest in learning more of how the V2G Trial is going. So it’s good to keep this news in a very public space.

I wonder if the delay to 14th Dec is because that’s the earliest they can get an Installation Team to you?

Or is it possibly that Indra/Kaluza have responded to feedback gleaned thus far and are now making modifications to increase reliability?

The 3 month delay is because they only work Monday to Friday, no weekend or evenings, but that’s what I work and I don’t have any holidays left to book. 

ive said before on here anyone in future buying one of these will expect some engineers to be on call for people like me in this situation. 

The 3 month delay is because they only work Monday to Friday, no weekend or evenings, but that’s what I work and I don’t have any holidays left to book. 

ive said before on here anyone in future buying one of these will expect some engineers to be on call for people like me in this situation. 

Had replacement charger fitted today. Lasted 30 seconds then went off, turned it back on and it went red and the fans came on. App says restore internet connection. 

1st charger fitted, broke the next day

3 months later had replacement charger fitted, 30 seconds after installer left it broke. 

app not working and no one answering phone at Kaluza on a Saturday. 

That’s it now for me, not even going to bother emailing or ringing anyone after this message. 

anyone thinking of getting one of these, you’ve been warned. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Karlkb15,

I’ve been in touch with the team about this and they advised me a couple of things:

When the emergency stop is pushed in, this removes power from the inverter, the motherboard/ brains behind the unit will still receive power. At the same time the fans default to 100% / run at full speed (to ensure any residual heat within the inverter continues to be removed). So pressing the e-stop only compounds the fan situation; it is intended for emergency situations where power is to be immediately disconnected/removed from the EV.

The dashboard warning lights result from a specific older generation of Nissan Leaf software, which can be updated by a Nissan main dealer. There is also a fix within V2G firmware 6.1 which is currently being rolled out.

If the device wasn't under platform control following the engineers visit on Saturday, it will likely have been placed under control today following the team working through the post engineer visits and tickets. I’ve been advised that you just need to use the charger as intended and we can get a picture of what's going on and ensure that everything is back on track for them.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Useful background info there @Nancy_OVO 

As I’m not on the V2G Trial, can someone else please answer a point that Nancy just raised?

Is there a visible notification that the V2G Charger actually is under “Platform control”?

This might be a symbol on the App or an indicator on the charger itself.

And as a subsiduary question:

If connection to the Kaluza Platform gets lost, possibly by your home internet link failing, is it possible to use the V2G Charger at all?

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Transparent , I checked it today and it works without the internet, however it does not export electricity back to the grid.

I had a charger failure this morning (Monday) and also last Monday, battery did not get charged at all last week, and only to 43% this morning. I wonder if anyone else have experienced the same thing? What could have caused it, maybe a software update, I wonder??

Userlevel 3
Badge

I had a charger failure this morning (Monday) and also last Monday, battery did not get charged at all last week, and only to 43% this morning. I wonder if anyone else have experienced the same thing? What could have caused it, maybe a software update, I wonder??

Hello @Andras 

Could you please confirm that you have set up your ready times in the application? With regards to the charger failer, I would advise doing a power cycle and taking note of the LED status. This should indicate if there is a serious fault. 

Before completing these steps, just have a quick check and make a note of the status of the LED on the unit, including colour and number of flashes if flashing.

1: Turn off RCD (circuit breaker) for the unit
2: Unplug the Ethernet cable for the charger at the router and turn off the router
3: Turn on the router and reconnect the chargers Ethernet cable
4: Turn the RCD for unit back on
5: Check the LED status on the charger including colour and number of flashes if flashing

If any issue persist, please note the results of the above and let us know by emailing Support@Kaluza.com and we will work towards getting things back on track.

Userlevel 2

Over on the facebook forum a lot of people are having issues with the supply voltage from the DNO being out of limits, which will trip out the V2G.

A new version of the Firmware is being pushed out this week which should fix a lot of the fault issues, the main one’s being.

Solid red light and fan running constantly on boot up of charger.

Flashing red light caused by supply voltage out of spec.

On the new firmware if the supply voltage is out of spec the V2G will simply stop importing or exporting and idle until it is back in limits instead of faulting.

There is however an issue with newer installs where ChargedEV / Kaluza / OVO seem to have taken a decision to install a protection device called a Matt:e by default instead of installing dedicated earthing rod.

The problem with this is the Matt:e will detect out of spec voltage and kill power to the charger shutting it down out of control of the charger software. When the voltage is back in speck the Matt:e will power back up the V2G but it will not automatically reconnect and therefore will not complete the charge as it would if it was left to control out of spec voltage itself.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @Ash_OVO and @vespalads for the help and explanation, its good to be aware whats happening behind the scenes. 

The charger worked Ok this morning so I will just monitor it for a while. Mine was installed with the earthing rod by the way.

Does the charger need to be turned off completely and back on for the updates to be installed?

Userlevel 2

Thank you @Ash_OVO and @vespalads for the help and explanation, its good to be aware whats happening behind the scenes. 

The charger worked Ok this morning so I will just monitor it for a while. Mine was installed with the earthing rod by the way.

Does the charger need to be turned off completely and back on for the updates to be installed?

The charger needs to be left on for the update to be installed, you should get an email through once updated, but mine went to my junk folder this morning.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks @vespalads, I did not get an email, checked spam folder too. Is it something we have to set up to receive the updates, I wonder?

Userlevel 2

Thanks @vespalads, I did not get an email, checked spam folder too. Is it something we have to set up to receive the updates, I wonder?

Should be automatic, they have said it may take till end of week to update everyone, and you should only get the email once updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @vespalads for identifying the Matt:e O-PEN device as now being part of the V2G charger installation.

I really wish the main discussions could be kept here on the open Forum rather than on the FB Group. I have 30 years experience of handling over-voltage issues, particularly where it can affect networked computers. But I’m not on the V2G Charger Trial, and I feel we should be discussing this sort of stuff where other non-Trialists also have the opportunity to contribute.

So… back to the Matt:e issue. The fact that Kaluza have opted to fit such a product actually tells us quite a bit about what they are trying to protect against. The O-PEN device developed by Matt:e is designed to disconnect the charger in the (unlikely) event of there being a broken Neutral connection between a house and a sub-station. It is to be fitted where the earthing is also provided via this same Neutral wire - a common method in the UK called PME, whereby houses do not require their own earth-stake.

Despite a broken Neutral being rare, I have actually come across such a site a couple of years ago. The situation had been incorrectly addressed by a Smart Meter Installer fitting an earth stake.

That’s not the way to do it!

The meter may well have been Smart, but the Installer wasn’t!

The O-PEN device is concerned with customer safety. It is slow operating, but a properly engineered connection unit for PME-fed houses with EV Chargers.

Matt:e’s device will not provide protection against fast-acting spikes and surge voltages. My own experience of surge-protection tells me that electronics is more likely to be disrupted where there is more than one electrical connection.

In the cases I worked with historically the two connections were the mains supply and the computer network.

In the case of the V2G Charger, there is both a mains supply and a wired ethernet connector.

To date I am not persuaded either way as to whether over-voltages have been causing faults on V2G units. I’m merely noting that it remains a possibility.

1. 45 days since i switched - first they fumbled the appointments
  2. Then they forgot to transfer my energy supplier,
  3. Then technician turned up did half the job and left.
  4. Then finally they came to install but left while the charger does not work. Told me i will get an email.
  5. Then waited weekend cos they are closed, on Monday i rang/emailed. All they say doing remote diagnostics.

Bottom line serious flaws in their process and product, no one takes the ownership or responsibility. 

While i need to charge my car keeping the window open at night time. Worried can’t sleep keep waking up, got toddlers in the house and not to mention which burglar will siege the opportunity. Since i can only charge after work via house 3 pin charger takes 12 hours.

Want to cancel and complain but so far nothing - instead more waiting game. Where ovo taking about exit charge while i lost 45 days, £60 for exiting previous energy provider and 2 days off work cost £300 not to mention sleepless nights.

Userlevel 5

Sorry to hear about your experience, @akdam. It’s worth noting 45 days is relatively quick turn around, you’re trialing a new technology so there’s a chance things won’t be fully functional 100% of the time. 

If you’ve been in touch with the team they’ll get back to you as soon as they can to discuss this further. 

fully functional 100% of the time! - didn’t even work 0.01%.

No one saying whether it will be fixed or not or any time or expectation management, just left me to it . Try sleeping with your windows open for 45 days.

Test