Pinned

Check out the latest on OVO's Vehicle to Grid trial here

Show first post

143 replies

Userlevel 2
Hari,
I put in the above answer before I saw SIMONFEA's very good communication. I hope this and my comments make it clear where the communications fell short of what can be reasonably be expected.
I also forgot to talk about the EV anywhere tariff rates. I feel that anyone who is in the middle of a fixed price contract should not have to change to a more expenive fixed deal to get the benefits that others can obtain while saving money. i.e. the EV anywhere benefits should be offered at the same price of the current fixed contract with only the end date changed to tie the customer in for a longer period.
Jim
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Simonfea thanks for the quick response.

I can see that it has been a very frustrating experience and I do understand the need to set realistic expectations and then meet them. In the past few updates we've provided we have tried to be non-committal, and deliberately so - as I mentioned we have had more setbacks than we were expecting, and so we've wanted to avoid setting dates that we wouldn't be able to stick to. Following the 18th January update we have reached out to a small group of customers, and are progressing with their onboarding process with the aim of carrying out some more installs in March.

We've also wanted to make sure we provide updates with meaningful content, rather than just holding messages to say 'it's coming soon'. @JimTraynor I think you make a good point about keeping you informed on what problems we are experiencing - I'll have a think about how we can do more here and what we can share!

In summary, we are getting closer, again I'm really sorry that we can't give a clearer/stronger commitment on exact dates but we will spend some time thinking through how we can improve the frequency and content of our communications around the V2G trial.

Thanks,

Hari
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK, So we meet all but 2 of the criteria - having a smart meter and being OVO customers. We can resolve both of these. What I would like to really know and can't find out is what will be the requirements for our having charge in the car. Will we need to have a minimum charge in the battery everyday so OVO can take it? What rates are we going to get for the electric exported? Will it be taken everyday? Will the charger and smart meter work after the trial with other cars, other energy suppliers, etc. Can OVO please point me to the full rules and criteria for the trail.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge
As the first on the V2G trial I can answer some of the questions.
  1. the export rate per kWh is your standard charging rate plus a premium, which for me is 6p per kWh.
  2. The charger plugs into the Chademo port on the car not the type 2, so changing your car after the trial would need a new charger unless it had a Chademo.
  3. It charges at a max of 6kw but OVO regulate the charge to maintain battery integrity.
  4. It exports at peak grid times and is all automatic.
  5. On the app you can set the min charge level and the time you will need the car. The rest is done for you. Just leave it plugged in.
  6. OVO provide a battery guarantee until Nissan take it back over. Some issue about getting paperwork signed off. Nothing to worry about.
  7. Charger behaves as it should. Still has a few snags which are not issues but feedback on anything unusual gets the tech boys sorting it.
  8. The only issue I can see for people who work - is that peak grid time for exporting is when you go to work in the car and when you are travelling back in the evening. As a pensioner I have flexible working hours. The wife tells me when and what job. I just do what I’m told. Oh to be employed again.
Hope that hat answers some questions.
Message me if you want anything further.
Glad to help.
Userlevel 2
Badge
https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/vehicle-to-grid-charger

URL for V2G terms & Conditions
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hari,
I put in the above answer before I saw SIMONFEA's very good communication. I hope this and my comments make it clear where the communications fell short of what can be reasonably be expected.
I also forgot to talk about the EV anywhere tariff rates. I feel that anyone who is in the middle of a fixed price contract should not have to change to a more expenive fixed deal to get the benefits that others can obtain while saving money. i.e. the EV anywhere benefits should be offered at the same price of the current fixed contract with only the end date changed to tie the customer in for a longer period.
Jim
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hari,
Jim
Im on the trial and still on my fixed deal contract not the EV tariff. Works for me.
Userlevel 1
Is the trial still being rolled out, and if we haven't heard anything yet are we likely to now?

I'm interested to know if the charger is G99 compliant and wondering if this is an issue to the role out?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @larryj - the charger is still being rolled out, gradually! We've approached an initial group of customers who have registered an interest in V2G and appear to meet the core eligibility requirements (drive a Nissan LEAF, are supplied energy by OVO and have a Smart Meter). We are currently going through the process of assessing their install locations to ensure they look good from a physical and technical perspective.

We'll be reaching out to more people with invites to start the next stage of the onboarding process once we've installed some more chargers, and are comfortable that everyone is getting what they would expect out of them!

The unit is G98/99 compliant, we haven't had too many issues with this, although in some cases it does mean it takes a little bit longer to get an installation date agreed, as we have to contact your local network operator to get permission before we install.

Hope this helps!

Hari
Userlevel 1
Hi @larryj - the charger is still being rolled out, gradually! We've approached an initial group of customers who have registered an interest in V2G and appear to meet the core eligibility requirements (drive a Nissan LEAF, are supplied energy by OVO and have a Smart Meter). We are currently going through the process of assessing their install locations to ensure they look good from a physical and technical perspective.

We'll be reaching out to more people with invites to start the next stage of the onboarding process once we've installed some more chargers, and are comfortable that everyone is getting what they would expect out of them!

The unit is G98/99 compliant, we haven't had too many issues with this, although in some cases it does mean it takes a little bit longer to get an installation date agreed, as we have to contact your local network operator to get permission before we install.

Hope this helps!

Hari

Great, and thanks for responding quickly - still keen to get on this trial as I believe it to be a really important tool in the electricity market sector. Seem to tick all the boxes to! 🤓
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Great to see your interest in our new tech @larryj !! Glad @Hari_OVO answer helped.

Make sure you keep an eye on the forum for more updates and information relating to all of our new EV charging tech!

Fill in your profile so we can get to know a bit more about you so we can make sure you are kept aware of anything of interest!! And ad a profile pic if you get a chance :)

Darran
Generic email sent by OVO yesterday (21 May 2019) to say V2G is here, and to check out this forum for more info. But I can't see any relevant new posts on the forum. I registered interest months ago, and as far as I can tell I am eligible for the trial. But the extended wait for the trial, the lack of frequent updates, and the lack of direct contact with eligible drivers is disappointing. Please can we now have a definitive communication about signing up for the trial. Thank you.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @AndyMcW - that email should've contained a link to an eligibility form. Once you complete the eligibility form, providing it looks like you're eligible you'll then receive an email from us asking for you to submit some photos. We need these photos to be able to confirm that your property is suitable for an install. Once we've done that we can go ahead and start to confirm an installation date.

Let me know if you cannot see a link and I can provide you one via DM.

Thanks,

Hari
Ok. Didn't hit the Check Eligibility link 'cos I thought I had done that ages ago. Calling the link Start or Sign-Up would have been more obvious. But I've done it now. I am eligible, and I have an email from you asking for photos of the installation site. So the wheels are turning at last. Thanks. Andy
Userlevel 4
Badge
Thanks for the feedback @AndyMcW - will definitely have a look at that next time we do a similar communication!
Userlevel 5
I've also filled in the same form about 4 times now (twice today), eagerly watching for the e mail request for photos....
Userlevel 4
Badge
hi @Leo Moran - I've had a look and you should've received an email requesting some photos? have a look around and if you can't find anything DM me!
Userlevel 5
I've got three e mails form you but the latest won't open and all three are blank. What photos do you require?
Userlevel 5
Managed to open the e mail on my i phone but not on the i mac....presently sorting out photos for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
That's not good to hear re the emails @Leo Moran , glad you managed to access it on your phone. We look forward to receiving the photos asap so we can complete the eligibility checks.

@Hari_OVO any other reports of issues with emails being received by customers? Be good to rule out this being a bigger issue.

Darran
Since we sent out our last update via email, we've had a few questions coming back from you on what you'll need to be eligible for the trial. For those of you that registered interest in our V2G trial, you should receive an email update today with the information below. . .
Energy Supply: OVO Energy will need to supply your property’s electricity. You can switch to us here, but please be aware that this doesn’t guarantee a place on the trial. Unfortunately the trial will not support Economy 7 or similar time of use tariffs. -
Smart Meter: You’ll need to have a working OVO Smart Meter at your property, and be opted-in to half hourly data sharing. This is so we can optimise your charging and calculate imports and exports to maximise the benefit that you get.
Location: Unfortunately, in the initial phase of the trial we will not be able to install a charger in Scotland or non-mainland UK. Also, initially we will not be able to support homes where electricity is supplied by Electricity North West. . . . We’re working on extending the trial beyond the current areas.
. .We’re going to start contacting people who we believe meet the eligibility criteria in the next couple of months. We will start with a small number of people as we test our processes, but plan to expand the trial shortly after. .

Hi, I need to enquire on some the criteria above, as I have received said email and completed survey linked therein. While I have a favourable response asking for photos of fuse box, preferred charger locations etc, I happen to live in the North west (loc 16) which would put me in an exclusion area for the trial. So, has this area now been added? If it hasn’t, the survey didn’t pick up on it and I should therefore not proceed?
I do have E7 but am prepared to switch tariff (Qn: will I be charged to do so as in fixed rate contracts until Oct ‘19?)
I do not have a smart meter but happy to sign up for one if selected for the Trial.
While I have my own 6.6kW home charger and two Nissan Leaf I presume this can be still be used to charge the 30kW while the new one must be exclusively used by the intended 40kW?
It is quite exciting to have progressed thus far, but is it false hope due to being in NW (which brings us back to my first and main question)
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @PeterS -

Good news, we are now able to support your area! And no, you won't be charged for switching tariffs ahead of October.

On your existing charging set up, when our installation partners at Kaluza are assessing your property they will let you know if any additional work needs to be carried out in order to ensure you can use your current charger alongside a new V2G one, while remaining compliant with electrical standards.

Thanks,

Hari
I got my photos submitted at the weekend and now checking my email every half hour for further details (I know, I'm just easily excited)!

Any idea about how long it'll take to hear anything back? :)

Edit: No sooner did I post this than I got a confirmation that it's been raised to the (pre-)install team. Exciting times indeed.
Userlevel 5
Max.... I sent my photos off 11 days ago and got confirmation about a week ago. Now waiting for them to work out a date if they can do it...if at all. Just thought I'd let you know you can go out to the pub tonight...

Leo
Userlevel 5
Thanks Del, you've answered one of my big questions....can you run the house off the car. It was logical that you could but no one had actually stated that was the way you did it. I appreciate that the system will dictate when you receive from the car and not the grid but I'm a much happier teddy bear this morning.