Pinned

Check out the latest on OVO's Vehicle to Grid trial here

Show first post

144 replies

Userlevel 1
Let's hope not @rajan!

I believe it should be within the next 2 weeks. As I mentioned on other topics, this is a trial so naturally some things crop up during the process that cause delays as we have to ensure we are complying with the industry and ensure all regulatory requirements are fully in place before we start installing in customers homes.

Better it be delayed than installed and we have problems!

Darran

@Darran_OVO

Any updates please? The website doesn't look like it's been updated yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah well spotted @rajan!

We are getting some updates on this early next week so will post back here to update as soon as we know more!!
Userlevel 1
@Darran_OVO
Just seen the update online but no mention of timescales.
Does they mean that it's going to start installation within the next few days or weeks?

Thanks
Userlevel 1
I fit all the criteria bar the smart meter which I am getting installed this month. I am really keen to take part. I don't really care what we have to do, tariffs etc, I just would love to be part of this really important trial. I also don't travel long distances, so often have a reasonably full battery when I first plug in in the evening. Hope to hear from you! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Does they mean that it's going to start installation within the next few days or weeks?

@rajan we still don't have set dates for the Vehicle to Grid chargers trial, but you'll be the first to know when we are ready to move to the next stage! 😳
Userlevel 1
Hi @Darran_OVO,

I am having my smart meter installed today. I had been planning to wait until SMETS2 were up and running, but didn't want to miss out on the V2G trial. It is a SMETS1 though, will they be compatible with the V2G trial?

Best wishes, Kath
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Kat Leaf yes, you just need to have a Smart Meter, it doesn't matter if its S1 or S2.

Make sure you have registered via the website to ensure you get any future updates. As we've said previously, we are still working on this and have no dates etc as yet, but we will make sure we keep everyone that registered updated as an when we have something to update you on!

Thanks for signing up and getting involved in the forum. Check out the EV area as there are loads of great topics and discussions going on.

Darran
I see several comments here and about from people who've chosen cars with CCS connectors, often claiming to feel a bit excluded by OVO at not being eligible for inclusion in this trial.

My reading of the situation is that the current generation of CCS connectors does not support bi-directional power flow. Doubt this will be a software upgrade, retrospectively applicable. CCS=Can't Currant Supply?

Sources: This, for starters ... https://www.level-network.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Adrian-Vinsome-Cenex.pdf
Userlevel 1

@rajan we still don't have set dates for the Vehicle to Grid chargers trial, but you'll be the first to know when we are ready to move to the next stage! :$

Still no updates on installation dates?@Darran_OVO @Tim_OVO
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @rajan , and everyone else on this thread! It's really great to see the levels of interest in the trial... we are in the final stages of testing before carrying out our first couple of installs relatively soon. With a piece of technology as innovative and new as this, there are always bound to be teething problems that we need to overcome before we can move further forward - I'm sure you've seen the updates on our first smart charger install.

As a result, we are being deliberately cautious in committing to specific installation dates. It's going to be a very slow and gradual rollout initially, but we hope to start moving faster in the early part of next year. We're aiming to start contacting some of you who have registered an interest to do a full eligibility check towards the end of this year.

Until then, thank you for your continued patience. We're aware that this has taken longer than we previously expected, and we are working to make sure we can bring this to as many people as possible in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

Hari
We need to make our EV purchase decision next month, January 2019 (end of ICE lease and EV production lead times).

Is there any way of OVO indicating to those who registered interest whether or not they are likely to be included in the V2G trial or not?

The Nissan Leaf is now but one of many EV choices, and most alternate EVs offer way better range than the Leaf so we need the incentive of relative certainty of V2G inclusion to prioritise helping OVO exploit grid management to maximise profit over sacrificing day to day driving range.

Some additional clarity about whether V2G completely replaces FiT registration or just sits on top of it for solar PV owners would also be helpful.

If V2G replaces FiT registration and frees us from the labyrinthine Ofgem rules on expanding number of panels installed that would be another incentive to sit tight and wait. We currently have a weedy 1.5kw developer installed array and would look to double or triple that output.

If the V2G rollout keeps on being pushed back a Kia e-Niro and Tesla powerwall install have my name on ‘em....

Clock’s ticking...
Badge
Yet another trial that does nothing whatsoever for the roughly half of households in the UK which do not have their own on site private parking spot like a driveway or garage.

You should contact OVO and ask about their wireless charging options that allow you to charge your car wirelessly and allow the public to walk on the pavement without tripping over the cables.
I would switch to Ovo and get your smart meter to meet the criteria. But I'd need to know that would get me in. I do meet the other criteria.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi all,

A quick update on where we are at with our V2G trial.

As you may have seen, before Christmas we installed our first V2G Charger. This was a really important moment for us. The charger has been functioning as we would expect it to, both charging the car and exporting, and so we are starting to prepare for further installs over the coming months.

We will be taking a slow and steady approach to begin with, to ensure we are properly testing this innovative new technology while providing you with the best possible experience.

We will start to reach out to some of you over the coming weeks, to begin the process of getting on to the trial. At this stage, we can't make any promises as to who will be contacted and when, but we are doing our best to open the trial out to as many people as possible.

Regarding the FiT point @AndyS64 , we won't be completely replacing the FiT scheme. If you have solar panels and get a place on the trial, you will need to waive your FiT 'deemed export' payments. Your FiT generation payments will be unaffected by this. We will pay you based on your metered exports - at a rate of 2p + your regular electricity unit rate, per kWh. Hope that helps? Let me know if you want to know any more about this.

@paul_tanner at a point in time where we are rolling out at greater pace, we will be reaching out to those who have registered an interest in the trial, but are not currently on an OVO supply, inviting you to switch and get a smart meter. If you want to switch ahead of this - you're more than welcome to do so but as I've said above I'm unable to make any promises right now.

Any other questions, please do let me know and I'll do my best to reply as soon as I can!

Thanks,

Hari
Userlevel 3
Badge
Come on guy's, what is happening with this.
I have a 2018 Nissan Leaf sitting on my drive and it could be reducing my electric bill.
But then again the last thing you want is us customers paying you less money, so drag your feet, promise the world and deliver nothing.
Just like the big petrol companies buying EV charging companies that they then stop or slow down new charging locations being installed, with no charging infrastructure people won't buy electric vehicles so they sell more petrol/diesel and all but kill off EV sales.
I'm with a cheaper supplier but nevertheless offered to switch if I could be included in this trial. Never got a satisfactory answer so have not switched. Instead I'm looking at suppliers like Ecotricity who offer discounts on the use of their charging network.
Userlevel 2
I have a Nissan Leaf with a 24Kw battery and live in Central Scotland. When will I be able to get a V2Gcharger from OVO?
Userlevel 2
I have been av OVO customer for quite a few Years and am very interested in the new technologies OVO are pushing.
The problem is I live in a little place called Scotland. I believe we are being excluded from the Vehicle to Grid trial.
I have solar panels and a Nissan Leaf electric car. I have looked at the new EV everywhere offer and it has a few problems for me:
  1. There are VERY FEW Polar charging stations in Scotland and most of them are attached to ASDA supermarkets where charging is already free. I was given free Polar membership when I purchased my Leaf and have so far used it once (other than at ASDA) and that was only as an experiment so that part of the offer does not save Scottish members any significant money.
  2. The 2 year fixed charge is higher than the price I am currently locked into so I would lose money by changing over.
  3. I doubt if the Economy 7 tariff would suit my energy use profile especially if I am able to add more panels and generate more energy than I use.
Based on the above it would actually cost your Scottish members to use your new offer which claims to be a way of saving a significant amount of money.
I am surprised that OVO cannot offer attractive prices since they will also benefit price wise from our home generation and storage.
I would appreciate information about when the V2Gcharger might be offered to Scottish customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @JimTraynor

I'm not sure about locations where this or isn't possible!

I'm tagging @Hari_OVO who will hopefully be able to confirm either way! He might be able to help answer some of your points around the pricing too.

Darran
Userlevel 1
I'm afraid after many months of waiting for progress on both the vehicle to grid and home battery trials from Ovo I have reluctantly decided to leave for another significantly cheaper supplier. From what I gather Ovo are still quite some way from actually rolling out the trial on a wider basis - a great shame as I was very keen to participate.

The way that these trials have been handled (particularly the communication) has been the biggest significant reason for leaving Ovo.
Userlevel 2
I,m sorry that you have decided to leave OVO. I know that some competitors offer significantly lower prices and I agree that the communications about the trial have been very poor, but, so far as I know no other company is offering a possible way to push forward the use of clean energy and I believe that this deserves some support. I only hope that the information flow improves and the trial moves forward quickly. I would hope that the trial sites are spread around the UK and not confined to a small area.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @JimTraynor,

We're currently looking in to what we can do to enable our customers living in Scotland to be part of the V2G trial. Unfortunately, I can't confirm when this will be yet but it's certainly something we are looking into.

Additionally, you do not have to be on our EV Everywhere tariff to be a part of the trial, you can be on any of our fixed term tariffs.

@Simonfea @paul_tanner @Delboy - I'm really sorry that you feel communication has been poor and I'm genuinely keen to understand how we can improve here. Feel free to reach out to me in a PM or message below with any suggestions you have. How would you have liked to be kept updated? What sort of updates have you been wanting to hear?

I can understand where your frustrations are coming from - we share all of the same feelings here. Having revealed details of the trial last April, we were hoping we would be live with many, many installs by now. Unfortunately, but as is fairly common when dealing with innovative technology like this, there have been a few bumps in the road that we didn't see coming.

We're working hard to make sure we can start rolling out at a greater pace very soon. As such, we hope to start reaching out to some of you who have registered interest in the trial in the coming weeks. We'll be asking you to do a full eligibility check, before submitting some photos of your install location so we can make sure your property is suitable for an install.

There are lots of things that need to be done before a V2G unit can be installed so the process will be gradual initially, but we aim to be able to reach out to as many of you who have registered interest in the trial as soon as we can.

Sorry I can't be any more definite than that at this stage - but any questions, comments, feedback - feel free to send it my way and I'll do my best to respond as soon as I can!

Thanks,

Hari
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Hari,

Thank you, that's all I needed.
I am very keen to trial this and have even renewed my contract for another two years so that hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones.

I shall watch my inbox with interest over the coming weeks.

Regards Del.
Userlevel 1
@Hari_OVO - thanks for your reply, I do appreciate that this is not simple although am surprised that you're asking how communication could be improved. Apart from the original guidance that the trial would be with us in "Summer 2018", here is a selection of posts setting expectations:

14th September 2018: "Should be early next week, so if you are signed up you'll get an email and as always don't forget to check the forum for the latest."

21st September 2018: "we will be updating the website shortly so keep an eye out on there for the latest."

24th September 2018: "I believe it should be within the next 2 weeks"

5th October 2018: "We are getting some updates on this early next week so will post back here to update as soon as we know more!!"

22nd October 2018: "we will make sure we keep everyone that registered updated as an when we have something to update you on!"

20th November 2018: "we hope to start moving faster in the early part of next year"

18th January 2019: "We will start to reach out to some of you over the coming weeks"

Throughout this whole process I have not received a single update other than the above woolly and non-commital updates through the forum. This has not just dented my confidence in your ability to run a trial, but frankly in Ovo as a company.

It's really important to set realistic expectations and to meet your commitments in posts - what happened to the promised email in the September 14th post?

You can feel how keen people are to take part in the trial, but you've certainly exhausted my patience as a Leaf owning Ovo customer and I have lost confidence that this will ever happen.
Userlevel 2
Hi Hari,
Thanks for the reply I think communication is getting better. I feel that it would be even better if we were told what the problems are that you are experiencing.
I do understand that we do not have to be on the EV everywhere tariff. My main point is that this "everywhere" tariff does not apply everywhere mainly due to the lack of POLAR charge points in Scotland. I know that you cannot make more of these available but would suggest that you could include membership of Charge place Scotland or some other available charge network so that the benefits do not rely on a third party to be universally available.
Jim