Pinned

Check out the latest on OVO's Vehicle to Grid trial here

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Since we sent out our last update via email, we've had a few questions coming back from you on what you'll need to be eligible for the trial. For those of you that registered interest in our V2G trial, you should receive an email update today with the information below.

(For those of you that are just interested in this technology, this is for you too!) :D

So to answer some of your questions, please see below!

The V2G trial - what you need:
- Your Electric Vehicle: We’ve entered into a partnership with Nissan and so the V2G Charger will only work on their vehicles. You’ll need to own, lease, or be the primary named driver on a Nissan Electric Vehicle, with a battery capacity of 30kWh or more.

- Your property: You’ll need to be the homeowner of the property where the install is taking place, or have written consent from the homeowner. You also need to have private off-street parking and a broadband connection.

- Energy Supply: OVO Energy will need to supply your property’s electricity. You can switch to us here, but please be aware that this doesn’t guarantee a place on the trial. Unfortunately the trial will not support Economy 7 or similar time of use tariffs.

- Smart Meter: You’ll need to have a working OVO Smart Meter at your property, and be opted-in to half hourly data sharing. This is so we can optimise your charging and calculate imports and exports to maximise the benefit that you get. You can order one here for free - but again, please be aware that this doesn’t guarantee you a place on the trial. Initially, we will be supporting SMETS1 meters, but we hope to be able to support SMETS2 in the near future.

- Location: Unfortunately, in the initial phase of the trial we will not be able to install a charger in Scotland or non-mainland UK. Also, initially we will not be able to support homes where electricity is supplied by Electricity North West. You can check who your energy supplier is here. We’re working on extending the trial beyond the current areas.

- Other microgeneration: If you have on-site microgeneration, its power output will need to be below 4kW.

What happens next?
We’re going to start contacting people who we believe meet the eligibility criteria in the next couple of months. We will start with a small number of people as we test our processes, but plan to expand the trial shortly after.

And in the meantime, feel free to keep a eye on the OVO forum for all the latest discussions and updates. We will make sure we post any updates as soon as we have them.

As always any comments or questions, get posting below!

**Updated 17/07/2019**

143 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Rules me out on 2 of the criteria (24kWh and economy 7) which is a shame. I can understand the minimum battery requirements, but I think the economy 7 is pretty limiting as it is a real saving for charging electric cars. It would be useful to hear if anyone does meet the criteria and whether they are intending to participate in the trial.
Userlevel 3
I've been ruled out too, since I changed my Nissan Leaf for a Hyundai Ioniq Electric recently. I do hope OVO are able to trial charging of cars with a CCS connector and 28KWh battery some time in the future.
It's a shame because I only switched to OVO to be eligible for the V2G trial.
At least I have fully commissioned Electricity and Gas smart meters, which is more than Scottish Power were able to do in many months.
Yet another trial that does nothing whatsoever for the roughly half of households in the UK which do not have their own on site private parking spot like a driveway or garage.
Rules me out too (24kWh). I would be interested to know the reasoning behind the 30kWh restriction.
How will the tariffs and replacing work?
Presumably the vehicle owner will be paid a premium for ‘lending’ some kwhs to the grid?
I assume you will supplying a special charger for my new Leaf - I do not yet have one but the garage is ready and has one for my Tesla - useful standby in case of system hiccup?
OK, So we meet all but 2 of the criteria - having a smart meter and being OVO customers. We can resolve both of these. What I would like to really know and can't find out is what will be the requirements for our having charge in the car. Will we need to have a minimum charge in the battery everyday so OVO can take it? What rates are we going to get for the electric exported? Will it be taken everyday? Will the charger and smart meter work after the trial with other cars, other energy suppliers, etc. Can OVO please point me to the full rules and criteria for the trail.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Rules me out too (24kWh). I would be interested to know the reasoning behind the 30kWh restriction.

Hey Kevin, good question but for now as part of the trial, our agreement with Nissan only covers us for 30kWh or above. This may well change later down the line but for now this is what we have to work with for the trial while we learn more about this technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @GideonR and @wyedean thanks for the questions!

The good news is we are going to release more info about what the app does and the rate of export etc soon which should answer most of your questions. We are just finalising some of the finer details so we can share all of this.

Should be early next week, so if you are signed up you'll get an email and as always don't forget to check the forum for the latest.

Darran
When you originally launched this, you stated that "any Nissan Leaf from 2013 onwards" would be compatible with the trial criteria.

It would be helpful if you could please clarify precisely WHICH Leaf models are compatible, now that you have introduced a 30kWh battery limitation. Many trim specs prior to the 2016 model year had < 30kWh batteries.

My own Leaf happens to meet the criteria (and our OVO-supplied energy, Smart Meter, etc, ticks all the other boxes too), but I'm guessing that a number of those who signed up will not meet this fundamental battery size restriction that has been imposed.

Thanks in advance.
Please can you explain why those of us supplied by Electricity North West have been ruled out? (I'm all ready to switch back to Ovo for this pilot but I'm pleased I haven't yet as the criteria seem to be narrowing all the time!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey @AJ_EV_V2G_HS

Well spotted, to be honest when we started out with this tech we had been working towards the technology being compatible with Leaf models from 2013 onwards.

However after working closely with Nissan and completing a lot more testing, the decision is that for this first iteration, models that are 30kWh spec and from 2016 onwards are a much more suitable fit for the technology at this time.

We are looking to expand this out in the future, but need to learn from this first round of the trial.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@edcox1122, at the moment, to take part in the trial, we need to switch your smart meter to half hourly settlement, otherwise the technology doesn't work correctly.

However, the way the systems work between OVO and Electricity North West are not currently set up to allow us to switch customers easily onto this. We are working on this, but its not a quick fix, so for now we have to exclude this area from the trial. As we said before, we will continue to learn from this and work towards it being available to more customers in the future.
I meet all of the criteria thankfully, when will I be contacted about installation?

Thanks!
I meet all of the criteria thankfully, when will I be contacted about installation?

Thanks!

@Darran_OVO
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@rajan good to hear you meet the criteria.

No updates yet on when we will be in a position to install, but we will be updating the website shortly so keep an eye out on there for the latest.

Darran
@Darran_OVO
Just checked the website and it still says arriving this summer....summer has been and gone! 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@rajan you are correct, the website in the process of being updated with the latest news on the trial, so watch this space!
@Darran_OVO

Ok thanks, hopefully it doesn't just get updated to something like due to huge demand we are having to postpone!

Do you know when it will be updated? Like the next few days or weeks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Let's hope not @rajan!

I believe it should be within the next 2 weeks. As I mentioned on other topics, this is a trial so naturally some things crop up during the process that cause delays as we have to ensure we are complying with the industry and ensure all regulatory requirements are fully in place before we start installing in customers homes.

Better it be delayed than installed and we have problems!

Darran
Let's hope not @rajan!

I believe it should be within the next 2 weeks. As I mentioned on other topics, this is a trial so naturally some things crop up during the process that cause delays as we have to ensure we are complying with the industry and ensure all regulatory requirements are fully in place before we start installing in customers homes.

Better it be delayed than installed and we have problems!

Darran

Even better would be no delay at all :D:D:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Of course @rajan , sometimes things crop up that our out of our control due to the complex nature of the energy industry!! 🙂

It certainly keeps things interesting!!
@rajan, @Darran_OVO oh I don't know about summer being over, my leaf said it was 22 degrees out this afternoon in Northampton lol

Jesting aside, I got my smart meters installed today to keep elligability for the trail, of course I understand you wanna be fully set before you rollout. I work in IT and life is much better fixing stuff before it goes out then scrambling to fix faults in the wild...

Keep up the good work 🙂
@Leccy fez
Did you have the heating on in the car?haha
It was about 9 degrees this morning in London but it did warm up to a sunny afternoon 🙂
Userlevel 1
I fit the criteria and am keen to participate - hoping to hear from you soon!
Userlevel 3
Badge
I fit all the criteria also and am very excited to try out this technology.
Fingers crossed i'll be contacted soon.