Why you should get a smart meter ASAP

Show first post

39 replies

Inform yourself why you should NOT get a smart meter.
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
Don't join the ranks of the intentionally ignorant.
Don't put your health at risk.
"Smart" meters are a waste of money that eventually consumers will pay for. I suspect they are really a way to reduce the number of meter readers. I've been quite content with the estimated readings, and in any case they are checked by law. No meter would encourage us to switch off unused loads more than we do already.
Inform yourself why you should NOT get a smart meter.
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
Don't join the ranks of the intentionally ignorant.
Don't put your health at risk.

Couldn't agree more with @Timotheos. I have been an OVO customer for a number of years and have no complaints since joining. This comment is about Smart Meters and not a reflection on OVO as a company, with whom I am happy to be with.

YOUR HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A SMART METER

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/smart-meter-health-complaints/
Some great discussions going on here! I can see that a few of you are concerned about the safety of smart meters. We've got a great OVO answers page on this very topic - I've attached a link below if anyone would like more information on this.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/are-smart-meters-safe.html

Cheers,
Emily
Hey guys!

Would any users with smart meters like to share their thoughts with @christo skelton ?
I'm having a Smart meter installed on January 10. I shall report back.
I am interested in the ElectroMagnetic Field (EMF) generated by the smart meters. As i understand the technology there is a mobile phone style SIM installed in each meter, and they broadcast 24x7 usage to the energy supplier and to a display if you have one (some it seems upload to be viewed on the internet).
So - how do they work in remote areas?
What is the power and therefore the strength of the EMF?
Why do energy companies not use power line technology (sending signal back over the electricity cables) to cut exposure to EMF?
How is the claim to be able to monitor individual electrical appliances feasible? except by shutting down every other appliance, light etc?
I can see no advantage to the consumer for the fitting of smart meters?
Finally - this is claimed to be at no cost to consumers, but I believe government has applied a levy to every account to collect the costs?
"Why you should get a smart meter ASAP!" the topic shouts...

... I'd love to. Ovo first emailed me about getting a smart meter in April 2017 claiming they had fitters in my area. Since then I've (roughly) checked every month to try to get a booking to get ours fitted. I've also used the updated site to put my details in asking you to email me as soon as an appointment comes available.

So imagine my excitement to get an email from Ovo today about smart meters. And then my crushing disappointment when all that email did was direct me to the same webpage where I'm once again told there are no appointments available.

It's been *8* months now. I'm beginning to think I'll get hold of a smart meter faster by switching supplier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
"Why you should get a smart meter ASAP!" the topic shouts...

... I'd love to. Ovo first emailed me about getting a smart meter in April 2017 claiming they had fitters in my area. Since then I've (roughly) checked every month to try to get a booking to get ours fitted. I've also used the updated site to put my details in asking you to email me as soon as an appointment comes available.

So imagine my excitement to get an email from Ovo today about smart meters. And then my crushing disappointment when all that email did was direct me to the same webpage where I'm once again told there are no appointments available.

It's been *8* months now. I'm beginning to think I'll get hold of a smart meter faster by switching supplier.

We’ve taken away the exclamation mark now @audaxian as we see what you mean - it did shout a bit.

I think it would be best for the Social team to look into this so they can check the engineer coverage in your area. Please send them a private message with your name, DoB and OVO account number on either their Facebook or Twitter page.

Lucy
Yesterday a started the switching process to OVO I would like to have a smart meter fitted but cannot check if it is available in my area without an account number being issued is there another way to check with just a postcode
Hey @Nannie

I won't be able to check for specific appointment slots just yet - this can only be done when you've got your account number.

That being said, I can check the engineer availability in your area - this will give us a rough idea of how soon we'd be able to offer you an appointment. Just send me your postcode in a PM and I'll check.

Cheers,
Emily
Hello, I called OVO up about a month and a half ago to book getting a smart meter installed into my flat. They said they would call to make an appointment and obviously they haven't. I live in Rochford, Essex and we would love to have one installed.
Sorry to hear you didn't get a reply from the team @danchy19

To book in a smart meter installation, just click here: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit
Some time ago - maybe a year or two, an engineer called to fit a Smart Meter for me. He didn``` t like the way the gas meter was fitted. He said that it would have to be attended to and that as soon as the work was done, he would return to fit the Smart Meter. An emergency team came out and refixed the gas meter the same day. I have not heard anything from OVO since and am blocked by the website from making another appointment. Is it feasible that I could have a Smart Meter supplied, this year? Account number = 6004241.