Why you should get a smart meter ASAP

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

You’ve probably heard about the government’s smart meter roll out - all UK households are being offered a free smart meter installation by 2020. Well this topic will list the reasons why you should jump on the bandwagon and go smart without delay!

These meters are fitted without a charge (subject to availability), replacing your current meters. The benefits are varied depending on your payment method, so let’s get stuck into it:

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll get:

- More accurate bills
- More detailed usage information, including charts that show you how much different appliances are using
- Live and historical usage visibility via an In Home Display helping you to reduce your usage and save money
- Accurate meter reading history if you change supplier

For Pay As You Go customers, you'll get:

- PAYG+ where you can top up anywhere online or via our app
- Great usage features showing how much you've spent and used monthly, weekly and daily
- No more having to mess around with putting keys and cards into meters

So, what are you waiting for? Follow the links below to book in your smart meter appointment:

If you’re a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus

If you’re a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

39 replies

Badge
What are your thoughts on the recent watchdog program ?
Are OVO trying to encourage customers to move to smart meters, by getting meter readers to not close the electric box when they leave. I get annoyed to arrive home and find the box door swinging in the wind, just because some meter reader is too lazy to do his job properly.

We have installation of a smart meter booked, but we are thinking twice following the Watchdog programme. It would really help if OVO had responded more positively than how they did in their response to Watchdog. I understand that 6 months had passed, in the case highlight in the programme, but that doesn't mean that the fitting of the meter wasn't responsible.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We have installation of a smart meter booked, but we are thinking twice following the Watchdog programme. It would really help if OVO had responded more positively than how they did in their response to Watchdog. I understand that 6 months had passed, in the case highlight in the programme, but that doesn't mean that the fitting of the meter wasn't responsible.

Hi Orlando,

We can’t comment on the specifics of the case due to data protection, but we supported Ms Devall with temporary accommodation during and after the investigation. We did not want to remove the support we had put in place until alternative arrangements were made even though the fire report came back as inconclusive and our installation partner’s records show it was carried out in line with safety procedures.

Lucy
I don't feel reassured by that answer. How do I cancel the installation?
I'm sorry you feel that way @Orlando

If you could send me a PM with your full name, OVO account number and DoB - I'll get this cancelled for you.

Thanks,
Emily
Badge
Would you know how many meters have been fitted in the last 6 months mentioned ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Would you know how many meters have been fitted in the last 6 months mentioned ?

A lot, @Steveo - that's for sure! We now have 45% of our customer base fitted with a smart meter!

^Tim
Badge

A lot, @Steveo - that's for sure! We now have 45% of our customer base fitted with a smart meter!

^Tim
Thanks......So, how many customers have you got please ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We currently have 680,000 customers @Steveo! 🆒
Sorry, but I would get no benefit from smart meter. As I pay a fxed amount by direct debit accurate bills are irrelevant. Any discepancies will come out in the wash. I'm quite happy to take, submit and log my meter readings.

I have a clip-on ammeter with a wireless display unit that calculates and integrates my power consumption. In any case most electrical appliances have a rating plate. Note that the quoted power of a microwave oven is the microwave power delivered, NOT the electrical power used which could easily be a kiloWatt more. However, knowing how much energy I'm using will make no difference to my energy usage.

Incidentally, will smart meters tell me whether it's cheaper to boil 1.5l of water from 15deg. Celsius in an electric kettle or on the gas? Will a smart meter know and tell me the calorific value of the gas I'm using?

Btw, the iternational standard unt for energy is the joule. Why are we still messing about with kiloWatt hours?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Btw, the iternational standard unt for energy is the joule. Why are we still messing about with kiloWatt hours?

Well for one thing, @Minijem my OVO Forum signature (at the bottom of my message) will be irrelevant if we make that switch!

In all seriousness, smart meters aren't compulsory. Maybe the arguments for them will mount with time, until even you admit that they're worth the free exchange. Until then, stick with what you've got and keep it real! 🆒

Tim
Badge
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/smart-meter-roll-out-question-fraction-households-sign/amp/#ampshare=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/smart-meter-roll-out-question-fraction-households-sign/
In response to Emily OVO

Can you explain how your smart meter can provide "More detailed usage information, including charts that show you how much different appliances are using" ?
The smart meter registers the total power being taken by the property, not by individual appliances. It doesn't monitor individual circuits like (eg) the Schneider PowerTag.
This is basically a technically inaccurate claim presumably designed to entice customers into installing equipment that will not provide them with what you purport to offer.

More accurate bills
-
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
In response to Emily OVO

Can you explain how your smart meter can provide "More detailed usage information, including charts that show you how much different appliances are using" ?
The smart meter registers the total power being taken by the property, not by individual appliances. It doesn't monitor individual circuits like (eg) the Schneider PowerTag.
This is basically a technically inaccurate claim presumably designed to entice customers into installing equipment that will not provide them with what you purport to offer.

More accurate bills
-

Hey Frazer Westfiled,

Your smart meter can show you how much energy you're using, and when, in real time. It can also show you how much it’s costing you, and how much energy you’ve used over the last day, month or year. That allows you to make comparisons, and see where you might be using more energy than you need. Then you can use that knowledge to set yourself targets, reduce the amount of energy you use, and save money.

Once you’ve got a smart meter, we’ll always be aware of exactly how much energy you’ve used since your last statement. So your statements will always be totally accurate, and you’ll only be billed for the precise amount of energy you’ve used.

Any other questions, just shout.

^Lucy
When are the compatable meters coming out? After reading all the comments on meters I will not get one until compatability is sorted out. I do not want the hassle of being stuck with one supplier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
When are the compatable meters coming out? After reading all the comments on meters I will not get one until compatability is sorted out. I do not want the hassle of being stuck with one supplier.

Hey Stephhh,

We don’t have a date confirmed for when these will be available yet but the good news is that our SMET2 meters are in testing. Why dont you check out the discussion on these here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smets2-106.

Lucy
I have just moved to OVO from British gas and have smart meters, which British gas installed for free about 6 months ago.

Will the smart meters I have be able to send the usage info to OVO?
Smart Meters ...not such a Smart idea !?!
I moved to OVO in the summer and in September I received an email
"Our smart meter engineers are working in your area right now. Don’t lose out - it’s first come, first served, and they’re getting booked up fast...."
I have followed some of the saga surrounding the government's push which may well intended but very poorly executed and will cost us the consumers with little benefits to show.
This governerment doesn't like experts but I suggest anyone interested listen to today's Radio4 programme You and Yours http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b099v2q3 and read Nick Hunn's blog http://www.nickhunn.com/gb-smart-metering/ cavaet emptor
Smart Meters ...not such a Smart idea !?!
I moved to OVO in the summer and in September I received an email
"Our smart meter engineers are working in your area right now. Don’t lose out - it’s first come, first served, and they’re getting booked up fast...."
I have followed some of the saga surrounding the government's push which may well intended but very poorly executed and will cost us the consumers with little benefits to show.
This governerment doesn't like experts but I suggest anyone interested listen to today's Radio4 programme You and Yours http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b099v2q3 and read Nick Hunn's blog http://www.nickhunn.com/gb-smart-metering/ cavaet emptor
Not much prospect of getting a smart meter in the Scottish Borders anytime soon. I tried to book an engineer, none available. I then contacted Ovo as I will shortly be spending a lot of my time abroad and will be unable to supply readings. I received a stock reply directing me back to the link that had already told me that no engineers were available! I will have to start looking for a supplier that can provide smart meters as come January my meter readings will cease.
I’ve read that government want everyone to have a smart meter installed by 2020- but this will increase my electricity bill because I have economy 10 meter installed at present and smart meters only allow for economy 7. Will I be able to refuse in 2020? I had a smart meter installed today and after it was installed I was told it’s now economy 7, I said I can’t afford that tariff and made him switch it back. Why wasn’t I told this Info before I took afternoon off work for installation? The meters are not very smart if it can’t deal with a two rate electricity supply on economy 10- its same as economy 7 but 10 hrs instead of 7!
You’ve probably heard about the government’s smart meter roll out - all UK households are being offered a free smart meter installation by 2020. Well this topic will list the reasons why you should jump on the bandwagon and go smart without delay!

These meters are fitted without a charge (subject to availability), replacing your current meters. The benefits are varied depending on your payment method, so let’s get stuck into it:

For Pay Monthly customers, you'll get:

- More accurate bills
- More detailed usage information, including charts that show you how much different appliances are using
- Live and historical usage visibility via an In Home Display helping you to reduce your usage and save money
- Accurate meter reading history if you change supplier

For Pay As You Go customers, you'll get:

- PAYG+ where you can top up anywhere online or via our app
- Great usage features showing how much you've spent and used monthly, weekly and daily
- No more having to mess around with putting keys and cards into meters

So, what are you waiting for? Follow the links below to book in your smart meter appointment:

If you’re a Pay as you go customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/paygplus

If you’re a Pay monthly customer: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit

I had a smart meter installed today, after installing I was told it won’t work with economy 10 so I now have economy 7! This is no good to me as I have electric heating ( not storage units) I insisted my economy 10 meter was reinstalled. It would have cost me an absolute fortune in peak electricity costs to have my heating on in daytime and evening. Will the new smart meter being tested be able to be compatible with economy 10?
I’m wondering whether to get a smart meter. Anyone who has one please comment.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Being comfortable reading my own gas and electricity meters and entering the readings accurately every month why would someone like me bother with a smart meter?