Solved

Why has my liberty 100 smart meter gone off supply and into vend mode?

• 18 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Our power supply has failed and UKPower networks have advised that our meter has gone into vend mode. We have a significant credit on our account. It went off at 22.15 and there appears to be no one to talk to or to get help. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Whittaker 18 June 2020, 14:42

View original

4 replies

I am a pay monthly customer, the meter just appears to have had a melt down and gone into a different mode. I have a fortune in credit and 12.5 hours in am still without power and waiting on an engineer

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Agh! So who’s sending an engineer, @WhittakerOVO ?

The symptoms you’re seeing are of wider interest because there are some firmware updates being applied to a number of SMETS1 Smart Meters at the moment. I’ve been in discussion with  Engineering Team about this within the past month, precisely because I was concerned if there were a fault which caused an electricity meter to open the main relay contacts.

Now I’m not saying that’s what’s happened in your case (yet!) but every scrap of information would be really helpful.

So… do you know whether you have a SMETS1 meter (usually manufactured by Secure), or a SMETS2 (which is usually from Aclara)?

And I’m just going to tag the Moderator, @Tim_OVO, so he can track our discussion.

Updated on 31/10/22 by Tim_OVO:

Sorry to hear that you’ve lost supply to your Secure Liberty smart meter. Sounds like you’ve already checked in with your DNO who’ve advised this isn’t a power cut.

As a pay monthly OVO member your meter shouldn't go off supply or into vend mode, so it sounds like there could be a fault to your meter.

In order to get this sorted reach out to our Support Team. Our Support team’s web messaging and WhatsApp opening hours are:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 

• 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

Our Support team can be contacted by phone on 0330 303 5063 between:

• 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. 

You can see all open contact channels via our Help Centre

If you need to contact the team on a Sunday, our Social team is able to support you. Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter from 9am - 5pm. This team is also able to schedule an emergency meter appointment if needed. More info on what to do in an emergency here

The team can investigate the issue and schedule a same day emergency engineer’s appointment if needed. There’s more advice about who to contact in case of an emergency here.

Hope this helps and you’re back on supply ASAP.

Afraid it's not a meter problem, Ovo's contractor reckons it's something to do with yesterday's storms. Hey ho, we are up and powered again. Thanks for your interest and apologies for setting a hare running

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well I’m pleased to hear you’ve been powered up again @Whittaker 

There was another customer posting here with lightning damage a day earlier than you. Please have a look because I’ve linked through to wider observations about whole-house surge protection devices.

As your meter was ok, did the engineer specify what had actually “blown” last night?

Is this a weak-point which you can now attend to?

Or were you unable to glean enough information to do anything about it?