Solved

Why has my central heating switched off after having a Smart meter installed?

• 3 December 2017
  • 1 reply

I had smarts meters installed on Thursday. Instant, shattering regret as my central heating was cut off. On the coldest night if the year. Customer services were obstructive and determined to deny any responsibility. I spoke with three altogether but kept being told it was my responsibility and I must call out an emergency heating engineer. It was 6pm next day when I finally got someone to reignite the pilot light on my back boiler and I was the tenth customer that day that he'd tended in the same predicament -installed meters, heating off, left in the lurch. He had just come from a household of a woman with two young children in freezing conditions and was going to his eleventh customer of the day after me. He was outraged by Ovo's attitude and didn't know how much he should charge people, was leaving it up to them. Ovo made me feel that my situation was uncommon and that I was exceptionally incompetent - now I know that they are putting vulnerable people at risk of illness and hospitalisation and don't care at all. I am completely alienated, out of pocket, and just want to change supplier.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 21 December 2017, 16:05

I had smarts meters installed on Thursday. Instant, shattering regret as my central heating was cut off. On the coldest night if the year. Customer services were obstructive and determined to deny any responsibility. I spoke with three altogether but kept being told it was my responsibility and I must call out an emergency heating engineer. It was 6pm next day when I finally got someone to reignite the pilot light on my back boiler and I was the tenth customer that day that he'd tended in the same predicament -installed meters, heating off, left in the lurch. He had just come from a household of a woman with two young children in freezing conditions and was going to his eleventh customer of the day after me. He was outraged by Ovo's attitude and didn't know how much he should charge people, was leaving it up to them. Ovo made me feel that my situation was uncommon and that I was exceptionally incompetent - now I know that they are putting vulnerable people at risk of illness and hospitalisation and don't care at all. I am completely alienated, out of pocket, and just want to change supplier.

Hi @Linanne

I'm sorry to hear about your experience here. I've edited your title and added some tags to this topic so other customers looking for similar advice can find it.

It sounds like your gas supply needed bleeding after the installation. Sometimes, if the gas pipes in your property haven't been touched for a very long time, and then the supply is suddenly interrupted, this can allow air into the pipes and it'll need bleeding after. This could be from having a new boiler fitted, or having your meter changed.

It's disappointing that this resulted in such a negative experience for you, and that it's made you consider leaving. The last thing we want is to put our customers at risk. If you'd like anything looking into, please send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB and we can put things right.

Thanks,
Nancy

**Updated 16/07/2019**

More info on the same topic here.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Linanne

I'm sorry to hear about your experience here. I've edited your title and added some tags to this topic so other customers looking for similar advice can find it.

It sounds like your gas supply needed bleeding after the installation. Sometimes, if the gas pipes in your property haven't been touched for a very long time, and then the supply is suddenly interrupted, this can allow air into the pipes and it'll need bleeding after. This could be from having a new boiler fitted, or having your meter changed.

It's disappointing that this resulted in such a negative experience for you, and that it's made you consider leaving. The last thing we want is to put our customers at risk. If you'd like anything looking into, please send us a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB and we can put things right.

Thanks,
Nancy

**Updated 16/07/2019**

More info on the same topic here.