Solved

Why does my energy usage graph in My OVO not match how much I've charged my EV?

I've been trying to track energy usage via My OVO but have noticed recently that the figures no longer seem to add up on the graph. For example, the other day I put the Leaf on to charge and have confirmed by a couple of different means that 29kWh was delivered to the vehicle. The charge started as scheduled at 1am and completed by about 5am - so around 4 hours. The implied charge rate is, therefore, around 7kW. This makes sense as this is the expected rate of charging through the Type 2 connection. The graph in My OVO, however, is displaying a rate of 3.4kW - about half of what I know must have been the given load. For the avoidance of any doubt, the displayed total energy delivered over the 24 hour period is correct - it is merely the graph that appears to be incorrect.

I'm on Economy 7 so I'm suspicious that this might be a bug with the way My OVO is interpreting the off-peak energy use. Any thoughts on this?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 2 July 2018, 12:47

Hey @davrosuk,

How did you determine that 29KWh was used to charge the vehicle? If this figure is accurate, then you're right, it would be around 7KW per hour. But the usage graph shows your usage in half hour increments. That's the most frequently we can collect readings from the meter and the most detailled graph we can produce. So if each bar on the graph measures around 3.4KWh between 1am and 5am, that'd be about 6.8KW per full hour, which is more or less the 29KWh that was delivered.

We'd really need to have a look at your graph and the readings we're collecting from your smart meter to check if anything's wrong. If you drop the team on Facebook or Twitter a message, they'll be able to look into this for you.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @davrosuk,

How did you determine that 29KWh was used to charge the vehicle? If this figure is accurate, then you're right, it would be around 7KW per hour. But the usage graph shows your usage in half hour increments. That's the most frequently we can collect readings from the meter and the most detailled graph we can produce. So if each bar on the graph measures around 3.4KWh between 1am and 5am, that'd be about 6.8KW per full hour, which is more or less the 29KWh that was delivered.

We'd really need to have a look at your graph and the readings we're collecting from your smart meter to check if anything's wrong. If you drop the team on Facebook or Twitter a message, they'll be able to look into this for you.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
Hi @Nancy_OVO

Aha. You're right, the graph is indeed granular to 30mins, and that was where the confusion was. Somehow I was thinking they were hourly. Thanks for pointing that out.

(In answer to your question, both my PODPoint and vehicle both let me know how much power was consumed)

Thanks again!
David
Userlevel 6
Badge
No worries @davrosuk - glad I could help :)

Nancy
Userlevel 2
I have this issue too.
OVO need to learn how graphs work. My car charges at 7kW - Note that there is no 'h' for hours.
The instantaneous *power* that the car is consuming is not related to time. OVO have recently taken it upon themselves to change from plotting power (kW) to *energy* (kWh) in half hourly increments.
This is a ridiculous and unhelpful way to represent the data - especially as the y axis is still labelled kW.