Solved

Why are OVO charging extra for customers who refuse a smart meter?

Userlevel 1
I have been a customer of Ovo since 2011 and I don't trust the smart meter technology so I have always refused the installation of a smart meter .I have always provided my meter readings every month
I now learn that if I continue to refuse a smart meter my fuel costs will go up by over £ 100 compared to somebody with a smart meter My contract is up for renewal in a few months so I will have to shop around after a happy 7 years
My reasons for disliking the smart meter technology are it smacks of big brother and the customer is not to be trusted
Nobody will admit what other details are collected and what use they are put to
icon

Best answer by Transparent 8 May 2018, 18:09

Erm @smiffyuk,

Are you by any chance referring to Lumo Online Ltd?

Lumo is a wholly-owned subsiduary of OVO Energy Ltd, but is a separate company.
It has different Terms & Conditions of service, such as:
  • Online account management only
  • New customers must sign up for both electricity & gas
  • New customers musn't already have any Smart Meter
  • Lumo will fit their own Smart Meters as part of the initialisation process
So, yes you might be able to get a lower rate on Lumo than you can with OVO. But the same might be true for any other Energy Supplier. It depends on many factors, like where you are in the country.

Let me know if I've misunderstood.

**Updated 23/07/2019**
View original

12 replies

the engineer could not / was not allowed to install the smart gas meter ( said more or less: if given a chance - he might well be able to find a way round that. BUT ..)
there I am only half smartened and smarting. excuse pun - and there is another problem ... not satisfactory - is it?

as to the 'register' - only useful if you want what they can give you. I ASKED to be given notice / allowed to indicate convenient time for the guy to read generation figures - they are supposed to read at 2 year intervals - so this month for the second time I ran out of the shower to have Mr reader confirm vaguely that I had read my figures ( I need a chair to get there) correctly. What is the POINT!!??

Originally my utilities were set up by my late husband and the one time I changed one, it was not advantageous.
So leave well alone - no I do not want to change to ovo for FIT
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again @kb46waitrose.com,

No... you're not being offensive. I'm happy to help.
You are very welcome here :)

Firstly I don't think you should have been given the impression that you would be penalised for not agreeing to have a Smart Meter.

They are being offered by OVO, and there are a number of benefits in having them. However, the deadline set by the British Government for all 44-million homes to have Smart Meters is the end of 2020. If you still have any evidence of a penalty being suggested, then please post it here. It sounds like a miscommunication to me.

(And I don't have a Smart Meter myself yet, even though I respond to technical questions about them on this Forum!)

Point (d). I've never heard of a Smart Meter upgrade being rejected because it was "fixed on a wall"! I've heard the opposite... where a customer didn't want a fixing into a precious background material.

Most gas meters are freestanding, possibly on a shelf, and it's the adjoining pipework that's fixed in place with brackets. I can't think why a qualified installer would reject fitting whatever brackets and clamps were suitable as part of the meter upgrade. To me that would seem to be part of the job!

I'm also unsure why you feel the outcome should be the removal of the Electricity Smart Meter.

If OVO could reassess the gas meter installation-failure, wouldn't the best option be to have both meters operating Smartly and automatically sending data to OVO?

Point (e). Although I don't know your exact circumstances, failing eye-sight (temporary or permanent) is a relevant issue. Smart Meters are meant to prevent customers flailing around in the dark to obtain readings. I think the best solution would be to take the required action to minimise an accident.... and thus have a Smart Gas-meter.

I would strongly suggest that you register with OVO to go on the Priority Services Register. There are a number of benefits, including extra help for those with any sort of impairment, and the ability for you to nominate friends/family/neighbours to communicate with OVO on your behalf.

Every Energy Supplier must hold a Priority Services Register, and operate it in line with rules set up and audited by Ofgem, the Industry Regulator. Whenever you contact Customer Support, they can see your Registration on the screen in front of them and will offer an appropriately-tailored response.

May I stop at that point and give you an opportunity to respond?
Feel free to correct anything I have misunderstood.
Hello
Many thanks - I do not think I have been offensive - but if others thought they were likely to be penalised for not agreeing smart meter - requesting reversal for incomplete transition to smart ... was relevant
a) DD
b) November
c) East of England
d) it was fixed on the wall
e) find key, fumble in the dark ( fortuinately sight problem have been treated
f) not spoken but asked / mailed for info: was told it costs so and so much - because installing smart in the firstg place attracted a government 'reward' - irrespoective of the fact that it was only half done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello @kb46waitrose.com. Thank you for your first posting :)

I understand that you are upset. Can I please point out that you are on a public forum. We are fellow customers who help each other. OVO Customer Services Dept do not monitor messages posted here.

So I see you have recently been fitted with an Electricity Smart Meter, but that it was not possible to fit one for gas too. There can be several technical reasons why this happens.

Can you please say here:

a. Are you an OVO Pay-Monthly Contract customer (Direct Debit) or do you use a Pay-As-You-Go system?

b. When was the Smart Meter installation done? You refer to the autumn which suggests it was several months ago.

c. What area of the UK are you in?
(If you completed your Forum Profile I would automatically be able to pick up this information.)

d. Were you given a reason for the gas meter not being converted?

e. Is the gas meter particularly difficult to read?
If so, can you tell us a bit more about why this is?

f. Have you already spoken to OVO about this problem?
If so, with what outcome?

You don't need to use any technical terms. But it would help if we had this basic background information. Then we may be able to assist you in resolving the situation.

Thank you.
why will ovo not revert me back to situation as was?
I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED with not getting the gas included
this is not what was promised when I agreed to having a smart meter.
PLEASE can I revert to the situation as was in the autumn.
I don't care about graphs of the IHD - honestly, I have not learnt a lot from those anyway etc - but
I have to do gas reading - because gas could not be made smart, FIT reading and 'supervise' smart electric meter.
this tri-section reading etc is driving me nuts. and I am told I have to pay to have old electricity put back!!!!! - ovo have not done as agreed and made things les comfortable.

WHAT a cheek.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@smiffyuk I think you first might like to read this thread about Lumo when we discussed it three months back. @Lucy_OVO helped to clarify a number of issues we raised.

Secondly, no Energy Supplier is yet able to install SMETS2 Smart Meters. We were discussing this earlier today on the thread about SMETS1 or SMETS2.

I don't understand your final comment about meter failures. If you have information on this, I suggest you comment on the SMETS thread I just tagged. Then others will be able to find what you've posted and discuss it there.
Userlevel 1
I don't keep records of my source once I run CC on my pc then its all over
I didn't know the name was lumo but having now looked at the web page I think my claims are correct you are transferred into the Lumo (OVO) organisation if you want to pay less for your fuels than you did from the main OVO site if only for one year
Many of the small energy companies are doing a similar deal
my contract with OVO is dual fuel online and a android app will run on my window 10 desktop so I might consider swapping if only for one year PROVIDING I GET 2nd GENERATION METERS There are awful tales doing the circuit about the failures of the earlier meters
Smiffyuk
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Erm @smiffyuk,

Are you by any chance referring to Lumo Online Ltd?

Lumo is a wholly-owned subsiduary of OVO Energy Ltd, but is a separate company.
It has different Terms & Conditions of service, such as:
  • Online account management only
  • New customers must sign up for both electricity & gas
  • New customers musn't already have any Smart Meter
  • Lumo will fit their own Smart Meters as part of the initialisation process
So, yes you might be able to get a lower rate on Lumo than you can with OVO. But the same might be true for any other Energy Supplier. It depends on many factors, like where you are in the country.

Let me know if I've misunderstood.

**Updated 23/07/2019**
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Rest assured your topic hasn't been removed smiffyuk. If it had been, Transparent and I wouldn’t be able to comment on it!

As far as I’m aware, customers who opt out of having a smart meter installed won’t be penalised. Do you have a link to this article? I’d like to check it out to also see what it discusses.

I’d like to address this point - SO i started a small research project and found that those customers of OVO who agree to the installation of the smart technology would be placed in a separate company also owned by OVO and be offered a fuel tariff of over £ 100 less than those customers who do not agree with the smart meter installation Speaking from a Moderators point of view, I can confirm that this isn’t true. There is no separate company for smart meter customers - they’re all in the same pot and are customers of OVO Energy.
Userlevel 1
Hi Transparent
there was an article concerning the low take up of smart meters in the UK and the EU and OFGEM are considering large fines for the energy supply firms to force them to somehow inveigle there customers to accept smart meters
Having seen the vast improvement in electronic spy ware in the past twenty five years since I finished work I rapidly concluded that there is more to the £ 11 billion cost of the installation of these meters
They are being fitted in the homes of every consumer in the uk and being connected to the electrical system of every installation which concerns me greatly
SO i started a small research project and found that those customers of OVO who agree to the installation of the smart technology would be placed in a separate company also owned by OVO and be offered a fuel tariff of over £ 100 less than those customers who do not agree with the smart meter installation
I have been a customer of ovo since 2011 and I have never questioned any increase in my direct debit payment I'm currently more than £900 in credit but if they want to treat loyal customers like this I'm OFF
You might consider me mad but with the recent problems with the media sites over personal information and the previous failed attempt to introduce identity cards I am somewhat of a septic over anything which has government backing being forcible introduced to the whole of the uk
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @smiffyuk,

I too don't have a Smart Meter. But I've been doing quite a lot of research about them.

From where did you get the information about a £100 difference in the tariff depending on whether you had a Smart Meter fitted?

Is this a public web-page or was it an option which was presented to you when you were obtaining a quote for your contract renewal?
Userlevel 1
I shall reply to my own post I see that my post is controversial and has been removed from the forum but as I booked marked the page I can still find it
This says a lot for ovo as a company I will contact by telephone but I haven't got a mobile
be in touch customer services

SMIFFY UK