Solved

Why are my Smart Meter displays blank?

• 16 July 2018
  • 4 replies

I moved away from OVO yesterday, couldn't take meter readings and today 16th both gas and electric meters are completely blank. Could OVO have switched them off as my understanding from comments on here that if batteries fail supplies are switched off.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 18 July 2018, 15:23

Hi @thegoaliesdad,

Thought I'd break it down for you. We won't turn your meters off when you switch. They "snooze" themselves to save energy. Pressing any button on the screen will bring them back on. Pressing 9 will show your reading.

You usually have a few days surrounding the switch date to provide your start reading to your new company. You can probably still do that now, so I'd get in touch asap.

If your account is in credit, you're perfectly within your rights to cancel your Direct Debit with us, as we're not your supplier anymore. Just be aware that there'll be a final bill in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Any remaining credit will be refunded after that. If your account's in debit, we wouldn't advise cancelling it just yet.

Hope this helps!
Nancy

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @thegoaliesdad,

Firstly it's usually only a smart gas meter which has a battery. The electricity meter has access to electricity!

Secondly, are you saying that you are still enjoying the benefit of electricity and gas supplies, but that each of the meters is blank?

Or are you perhaps looking at the In-Home Display (IHD) rather than the meters themselves?

It's DCC who communicate directly with your meter, and your Energy Supplier passes to DCC the commands they wish to be sent. I think it highly unlikely that DCC would allow any Energy Supplier to request that a Smart Meter be deactivated. I can't even find a SMETS command which would deactivate the display and yet still leave the energy supply operating.
We still have gas and electric supply but blank smart meters
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Under Ofgem rules it's the responsibility of the receiving company to handle all aspects of the switch. So your first step must be to inform them of the problem and request that it's fixed.

Since it is also the receiving company who will have sent the Notification of the switch to ECOES (the national energy database), DCC will be able to look this up and allow that new company to use their facilities to send commands to your meter.

Don't worry too much about not having been able to take manual readings on the switch-date. DCC usually interrogate your meters at least once every 24hrs. It's possible they continue to do this during the switch process, but I'm not sure about that.

Even so, there is ample data to evaluate the correct meter readings for the switch-date to at least the nearest £1. So you're not going to be left financially worse off in the long run.

Note that your Direct Debit with OVO needs to remain live throughout this process. There are Ofgem regulations which govern the sequence of switching. These include a timeframe of a few days during which the receiving company makes two attempts to take over your supplies, then another timeframe during which OVO can raise an Objection (but only within certain parameters, such as you owing them more than 1-months payments).

There is then the statutory 14-day cooling off period which applies to all consumer financial contracts.

It is usually the case that the relinquishing company takes one more Direct Debit debit during this sequence; but because your DD mandate is still "live", it gets paid back almost immediately once the meter-readings and switch-date are finally ratified to both parties by ECOES.

So... your next step must be an email to the Receiving Company. If they fail to handle this correctly, that email becomes your first step on their Complaints Procedure. But I really doubt it will result in that!
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @thegoaliesdad,

Thought I'd break it down for you. We won't turn your meters off when you switch. They "snooze" themselves to save energy. Pressing any button on the screen will bring them back on. Pressing 9 will show your reading.

You usually have a few days surrounding the switch date to provide your start reading to your new company. You can probably still do that now, so I'd get in touch asap.

If your account is in credit, you're perfectly within your rights to cancel your Direct Debit with us, as we're not your supplier anymore. Just be aware that there'll be a final bill in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Any remaining credit will be refunded after that. If your account's in debit, we wouldn't advise cancelling it just yet.

Hope this helps!
Nancy

Updated on 12/07/2019