Solved

Why are my new S2 smart meter readings way too high on my Chameleon In-Home Display (IHD)?!

• 16 March 2019
  • 18 replies

So I had a smart meter installed on Wednesday. Now it’s Saturday and it’s jumped from £0 to over £90!!!

There is no way this can be right as that’s almost my direct debit amount and I’ve never had issues with dramatic under payments.

Energy consumption over the last 3 days hasn’t been higher than normal, if anything it’s been lower!

The gas reading seems accurate but the electric usage is way too high!

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

icon

Best answer by Transparent 16 March 2019, 18:06

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 14/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @natmorrison1989 This is quite normal.

If it’s a second generation smart meter, the explanation below (taken from another topic I've written here) outlines why:

After three days (from the installation), my In-Home Display (IHD) suddenly started displaying real data

11bb4b29-06b5-4b3c-97a6-038c6a963970.jpg

... but the figures bore little resemblance to the actual energy used.

This is all quite normal. There is a lot of work which continues in the background once the on-site installation is complete.

Not only will DCC be testing and tuning the encrypted communication links, but OVO will be installing your actual tariff data. This is held in the master electricity meter and is only required for you to view readings on the IHD. The actual usage figures are calculated separately by OVO as part of their billing process.

It can take several weeks before the entire process is completed. Only then will your IHD reflect the same information visible on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

If there are any discrepancies in billed usage in the meantime, these will get automatically corrected because the actual meter readings are cumulative.

The advice in this comment relates to newly installed S2 meters. If your meters were installed over 6 weeks ago and the IHD is still showing higher than usual usage check out this topic for more advice on what might be causing this.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

I only had mine installed at 2pm today and its already showing usage of £8 ! We typically only used £3.80-£5 a day with old suppliers
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Thelma. Don't worry. The cost in pounds isn't correct.

OVO have told us that there is a software bug in the IHD units. Have a look at what I wrote here earlier today.

Your bills are generated solely from usage data supplied to OVO from the meters themselves. That will still be accurate.
I had my electric smart meter installed on 2/2/19 and the smart reading showed at 0000086.
Having discovered today (27/4/19) that in fact neither the electric or gas smart meter had been sending readings, I looked to do a manual reading to submit and the electric is showing as 0007970 kwh. I've submitted this reading, but don't think I should have as it can't be correct and I'm scared of receiving a huge bill.
This would suggest a usage of over 2000 kwh each month (or do I have my maths completely wrong?!...I hope I have). How can that be possible, when previous electric usage with the last company was between 250-350 kwh each month?
Are you sure you are reading the meter correctly is the last number not after the decimal point i.e.

Then your start reading would be 000008.6 and your reading today would be 0000797.0. This would mean you have used around 800 kW since 02/02/19 which would be around 250-300 kW per month which is the same as before.

If the readings you gave are wrong you would need to contact OVO to correct them- you dont want to receive a huge bill!
Yes I think I have read it correctly. I've attached a photo, which although blurry, you can see the reading.

I think you need to contact OVO and discuss with them directly. Its highly unlikely that you have used 10x more electricity than before the meter was changed. I think either the meter is reading incorrectly or is not actually displaying kWh even if it says it is.

I think you need to ask OVO confirm what information they have and whether they can diagnose it remotely of whether they need to inspect / test the meter to ensure that you do not receive a very large bill.
See also this link to which?

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-think-my-energy-meter-is-faulty
Userlevel 6
Hey @Energycat,

I've moved your post to this topic as I feel the above will give you some answers.

Please contact our team on: 0330 303 5063 Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday, for further assistance.

Thanks!
We've had the smart meter installed for over 6 weeks. I've had my bill which is fine, but the meter itself still shows huge usage and costs. What's the point in having it if I can't accurately track my usage. I can see from previous answers Ovo are looking for a fix, but this was over a month ago. Is a phone call now needed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Franster

I'm assuming you mean that the IHD is showing huge usage and costs. The meter itself has no costs displayed.

I think we can fairly certain that OVO are busy looking for a fix... as, presumably, are the other Energy Suppliers who have recently installed the Chameleon IHDs.

However, we don't yet know if the bug affects all Chameleons, or whether OVO are expecting customers to contact them if theirs is one that manifests the fault. So I suggest you email the team, and alert Customer Services that yours is a site with this problem.

It does seem odd to me that we haven't received emails alerting us to the fault.

I don’t know if this is a general problem with last night’s processing, or just a problem with my account; but I noticed that yesterday’s billed units are significantly higher than actual usage.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MCH59 , you usage for 17th would be taken from the readings for 17th and 18th - the meter is read just after midnight usually. It may be that the reading for 18th has been estimated. 
The other thing to remember is that it’s the meter readings which form the bill, not the graph - that’s just for indication. 

Hi @MCH59 , you usage for 17th would be taken from the readings for 17th and 18th - the meter is read just after midnight usually. It may be that the reading for 18th has been estimated. 

No, the readings dated 17th on the first image are definitely the ones from midnight 17/18th July … and the IHD, ivie, Hugo and Loop all agree that I used fewer kWh yesterday (17th) than on any other day so far in July. 

Ignore the £ in the image below because my meters and IHD are still showing the old tariffs. 

The other thing to remember is that it’s the meter readings which form the bill, not the graph - that’s just for indication. 

Forget it … I just looked again and both the cost to date and kWh have sorted themselves out.  How weird.

Thanks anyway.

So far I've been quite pleased with the service from OVO.
Today I'm a bit perplexed! I was issued an IHD3 a couple of months ago. The total gas and electricity daily costs which I recorded always matched  when totalled with the monthly costs.
But having recorded the figures for the last week with the IHD3 when I checked the last week's figures again today (26/9/23) on the IHD3 they have changed!
As a sample: Sep 21 £2.46 is now showing 2.81, Sep22 £3.05 is now £2.87, Sep 23 £2.84 is now 2.77 Sep 24 £2.63 is now 2.70.
Grateful for any explanation. Thanks,
Paul F.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Paul Fonseka 

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the IHD.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so we aren’t able to tell exactly what the problem might be. You’ll be best to contact the Support Team who’ll be able to run some checks and make sure the details on the account match up to what’s showing on the IHD

I’ve linked to a really helpful guide on IHDs that might be useful for you, it includes details on the IHD3 so it might be worth checking that out before contacting the Support Team;

Ok, thanks Abby.

Paul F.