Solved

What is being classed as 'laundry' on my Energy Profile when I don't have a washing machine?

On my energy profile use it shows an amount in my monthly billing for 'laundry'.
I have no dishwasher, drier or washing machine in my apartment. What will this item be counting as 'laundry' as my cooker and refrigerator and heating are all counted separately?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 1 May 2019, 18:38

Good question, @MikeN!

After 5-6 months of what's called "machine learning", with your smart meters on half-hourly readings, we're able to provide customers with an Energy Profile. The smart system learns the energy signatures of your devices and works out (based on what's on at what time of the day, for how long, how much energy it's using etc) which household appliances they're likely to be. There's some margin for error with this, as we're tracking the energy signatures.

It's be interesting to know what other devices you have on on a regular basis to see if we can figure out what's being misconstrued as the "laundry" appliances.

Let me know!
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Good question, @MikeN!

After 5-6 months of what's called "machine learning", with your smart meters on half-hourly readings, we're able to provide customers with an Energy Profile. The smart system learns the energy signatures of your devices and works out (based on what's on at what time of the day, for how long, how much energy it's using etc) which household appliances they're likely to be. There's some margin for error with this, as we're tracking the energy signatures.

It's be interesting to know what other devices you have on on a regular basis to see if we can figure out what's being misconstrued as the "laundry" appliances.

Let me know!
Hi - thanks for helping to think it through - regular items on are fridge/freezer, Wifi router and that's really it. Heating is plug in and used as required, and after that it's just occasional use of cooker (electric), kettle, toaster TV, lamps, charger, electric shower.
I've just completed a profile which sets out what I have so maybe next month the stats will be different as I've note that I have none of the 3 'laundry appliances' listed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@MikeN whilst we can't be certain, I'd expect it's the plug in heating, as the usage times and amounts would be somewhat similar to how you'd use a washing machine.

Hopefully it'll be rectified in next few months, and the usage section will be more accurate.

Thanks,
Ed