Solved

What do you do if your new smart meter is reading too high?

• 11 June 2019
  • 1 reply

Since receiving my new smart meter, my usage has been consistently 10% higher than with both the previous smart meter and the conventional meter before that. We have the same electrical devices, same number of people in the house and same usage pattern as before. The only change I have been able to identify is a fridge/freezer turned up slightly for summer. Lower lighting and heater use in summer has more than compensated for this in the past.

I have just performed a meter test using a 2Kw heater, with ALL electrical devices except the electricity meter and the heater disconnected. This showed the meter to be over-reading by 4% on a 2Kw load. As the heater load rating is a maximum permissible figure, this suggests a minimum over-read by the meter of at least 4%.

How can I go about getting a new, calibrated smart meter?
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 12 June 2019, 16:06

Hey @WorthATry,

It’s very unusual for meters to clock too fast. In fact, over 80% of supposedly faulty meters that are tested are found to be clocking absolutely accurately. It sounds like have performed a creep test already, based on your results, I think it's best if our team check this out for you.

Please contact our team on Facebook, they'll be able to look into this for you today.

Thanks!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @WorthATry,

It’s very unusual for meters to clock too fast. In fact, over 80% of supposedly faulty meters that are tested are found to be clocking absolutely accurately. It sounds like have performed a creep test already, based on your results, I think it's best if our team check this out for you.

Please contact our team on Facebook, they'll be able to look into this for you today.

Thanks!