Solved

The smart gateway is being decommissioned - could I put it to my own use?

• 15 May 2018
  • 5 replies

Now that the smart gateway is being decommissioned, I was wondering if I could put it to my own use?

As far as I am aware, it's a generic zigbee gateway, not specific to smart meters. Is it possible to factory reset it (disconnecting it from the meter network and clearing the password) so I could use it for my own zigbee projects?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 8 June 2018, 12:33

Hi all,

Cassie_OVO, who heads the Product team here at OVO has answered this question on another topic. Check it out here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/why-are-ovo-disabling-the-real-time-smart-usage-features-1746

She explains that:

"Yes, I’ve investigated and unfortunately we can’t provide you access to your smart gateway. I’m assuming you have good tech knowledge if you’re interested in doing this, so I won’t hold back on the technical detail!

Before a CAD can be connected to our smart metering network, the hardware-firmware combination of the device has to be tested and approved by our smart meter manufacturer, Secure. This is because any device paired to the smart metering network can pose a potential security risk and may affect the functionality of the smart meter.

Changing the endpoint to which your CAD sends data to an endpoint of your own would require an update to the firmware image installed on the CAD. The problem is, once you update the firmware on the device, it would no longer be recognised as an approved CAD by Secure and they would therefore remove it from the smart metering network.

Sorry for the disappointing answer,

Cassie"
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
I've been asking OVO for the username/password, so far they have refused! Documentation for the device can be found here: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/reference-manuals/TG-PM-0510-ZigBeeCommunicationsGateway.pdf

There is a factory reset procedure but this might un-link it from the meter so I haven't yet tried it!
I don't think OVO would allow us to keep it linked to the meter, but if I could reset it and reuse it instead of simply recycling it it wouldn't be such a waste 🙂
Userlevel 3
I don't think OVO would allow us to keep it linked to the meter, but if I could reset it and reuse it instead of simply recycling it it wouldn't be such a waste :)

That would be a shame if it's the case as there is no other way to get live readings from the meter. However, I agree that it does look useful as a zigbee gateway in itself!
Dear Ovo,

As the gateway is no longer being used to provide real time data by Ovo can we reset the gateway to factory defaults so we can gain access with a new username/ password of our choosing.

Will Ovo then pair the device as an approved CAD , it must be approved as they supplied and paired it to start with!. and legally they have to support home CAD.

This then allows me to collect real time data to my own smart home site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi all,

Cassie_OVO, who heads the Product team here at OVO has answered this question on another topic. Check it out here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/why-are-ovo-disabling-the-real-time-smart-usage-features-1746

She explains that:

"Yes, I’ve investigated and unfortunately we can’t provide you access to your smart gateway. I’m assuming you have good tech knowledge if you’re interested in doing this, so I won’t hold back on the technical detail!

Before a CAD can be connected to our smart metering network, the hardware-firmware combination of the device has to be tested and approved by our smart meter manufacturer, Secure. This is because any device paired to the smart metering network can pose a potential security risk and may affect the functionality of the smart meter.

Changing the endpoint to which your CAD sends data to an endpoint of your own would require an update to the firmware image installed on the CAD. The problem is, once you update the firmware on the device, it would no longer be recognised as an approved CAD by Secure and they would therefore remove it from the smart metering network.

Sorry for the disappointing answer,

Cassie"