Solved

Smart meters working but not communicating with OVO - why?

I have smart meters for both gas and electricity. However, neither is currently able to connect to OVO and hasn't done so for quite a while now. An engineer came to try to boost the signal but all his attempts failed. He said something about needing to wait for an additional bit of kit to be installed locally. How much longer do I have to wait? I really don't want to have to provide meter readings...I shouldn't have to with smart meters!

icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 23 June 2017, 14:32

View original

143 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @AmandaS welcome and thanks for posting here on the forum.

I can only speculate that your meters are struggling to get a connection to the network due to poor signal. From what you've said it sounds like the engineer would have put a note on the system and its now on the computer awaiting a human to notice the action required.

The best bet is to reach out the OVO customer care team to establish what's what. If you prefer you can private message one of the moderators - @Emma_OVO @Emily_OVO @Tim_OVO @Max_OVO @Lucy_OVO with your date of birth, name, address & OVO account number they can check this out for you.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 5

Updated on 26/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Occasionally we lose the connection with a smart meter, meaning we don’t receive the readings automatically. There are many things that might affect the signal between us and your meters.

If you login to your  online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) and notice we haven’t received a reading from your meter recently, please complete the smart meter health check for your meter type below, there is a form you can fill in that will be sent directly to the right team:

Secure SMETS1 smart meter health check

Aclara/Honeywell/Flonidan SMETS2 smart meter health check

If we are receiving the readings but you are not able to see usage data on your In-Home Display check the IHD usage guides below for further help:

SMETS2 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

SMETS1 smart meter and Chameleon IHD

SMETS1 meter with a Pipit IHD

There’s more advice on how to identify Smart meter issue on your online account on this great guide.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

When the engineer fitted our smart meter he was unable to obtain a mobile signal which, I understand, is essential if the meter is to communicate with OVO. He left saying that the meter would keep trying, cycling through all the various networks until it succeeded. Well now, some six months later we have had a phone call from OVO to say they are sending an engineer round to investigate why they are not getting any readings.

I had already phoned them a month after installation to say that we had no mobile signal but used a Vodafone Sure Signal to make mobile calls (via an internet connection) and that if they supplied the number of the SIM card in the meter I could register it on the Sure Signal and then it could connect via Vodafone. I was told that this was not possible. But still the engineer is coming - wasting OVO's money and our time!

Surely they should have thought about their many rural customers who do not have a mobile signal at home?
Userlevel 7
When the engineer fitted our smart meter he was unable to obtain a mobile signal which, I understand, is essential if the meter is to communicate with OVO. He left saying that the meter would keep trying, cycling through all the various networks until it succeeded. Well now, some six months later we have had a phone call from OVO to say they are sending an engineer round to investigate why they are not getting any readings.

I had already phoned them a month after installation to say that we had no mobile signal but used a Vodafone Sure Signal to make mobile calls (via an internet connection) and that if they supplied the number of the SIM card in the meter I could register it on the Sure Signal and then it could connect via Vodafone. I was told that this was not possible. But still the engineer is coming - wasting OVO's money and our time!

Surely they should have thought about their many rural customers who do not have a mobile signal at home?

Hi @Mayflower - thanks for posting!

I've popped this query over to another topic on smart meter signal issues.

It's a pain I know, but it's difficult to confirm if mobile signal is going to be an issue until the meters are in. Also there's an aerial option for a meter that's near to signal, but not in signal in it's current location. So if you have a normal mobile phone signal a few feet away from the meter, this might be a useful option for you. See the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info.

Thanks,
Tim
We went through all this with the installing engineer - he said the aerial would not make any difference which was obvious as there is no mobile signal within 50 yards of our house.

I also note that you have not commented on the Vodafone Sure Signal point I raised - why is this not an option?
We went through all this with the installing engineer - he said the aerial would not make any difference which was obvious as there is no mobile signal within 50 yards of our house.

I also note that you have not commented on the Vodafone Sure Signal point I raised - why is this not an option?

And why are you sending an engineer who will not be able to do anything useful?

Sorry to sound peeved but am otherwise very satisfied with OVO - had I known this would be an issue I would have refused the smart meter!

And why are you sending an engineer who will not be able to do anything useful?

Sorry to sound peeved but am otherwise very satisfied with OVO - had I known this would be an issue I would have refused the smart meter!

Hi @Mayflower

I can completely appreciate your frustration. I haven't had much experience with Vodafone Sure Signal before, so I'd quite like to have a look at your OVO account to see what's already been discussed with the team and take a look at the engineer's notes.

If you could send me a PM with your full name, account number and DoB - I'd be happy to look into this further.

Thanks,
Emily
After having a smart meter fitted we were then told that it would not function properly as we have no mobile phone signal. Are these issues being addressed in the near future?
After having a smart meter fitted we were then told that it would not function properly as we have no mobile phone signal. Are these issues being addressed in the near future?

Hi @Trucker

It’s difficult to say - as smart meter technology is constantly evolving and changing. However at the moment, the smart meters we use need a mobile phone signal to be able to communicate with us.

Thanks,
Emily

P.s. I’ve moved your query to an existing topic to make it easier for others to find.
We converted from British Gas recently and our Gas / Electricity meters were replaced by OVO ones. The BG smart meter never gave any problems however the OVO one loses the signal frequently, it is situated in the same place as the BG one and is only about 4 metres from the meters themselves. There is only one wall between. The engineer who fitted it, a month ago, had trouble getting it working and said that he would order a booster unit. Heard nothing since and the unit is without a signal more than it has one. Anybody else experiencing similar issues?
Userlevel 5
We converted from British Gas recently and our Gas / Electricity meters were replaced by OVO ones. The BG smart meter never gave any problems however the OVO one loses the signal frequently, it is situated in the same place as the BG one and is only about 4 metres from the meters themselves. There is only one wall between. The engineer who fitted it, a month ago, had trouble getting it working and said that he would order a booster unit. Heard nothing since and the unit is without a signal more than it has one. Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Hi @GDM,

I've moved your topic over here where you'll find the information you need!

Cheers,
Nancy
My Smart Meter has been working fine up until today, i noticed that it had stayed on the same number all day (which i thought was strange) so i pressed the electricity button and it went to 'lost communication' and no values are being shown.
I have looked at other posts and been and checked my electricity meter which still has a flashing light on it, so i assuming it is still sending readings to OVO?
What do i do to fix it?
I just checked the meters again and there are no lights on WAN or HAN?
Userlevel 5
I just checked the meters again and there are no lights on WAN or HAN?

Hey KevinT,

In this instance, we may be able to offer you a device such as a Smart Relay if we’re convinced it will help to solve the problem. However, these devices only work in certain circumstances, so they may not be appropriate in your home, and we can’t guarantee they’ll put things right.

If you contact our Customer Care team (either via Facebook, Twitter, phone or email) then they can see if we can get one sent out. :)

Lucy
I've reported the fact that my smart meter isn't working to OVO 3 times now and continually am advised that the 3rd party company they sub contract to will be in touch. To date nobody has been in contact and my meter still doesn't work and I have no way to supply the readings myself.

Really worrying and exceptionally poor service. I also have no idea who to go to now.

My recommendation would be to NOT get a smart meter installed until they have the support mechanisms to provide a good or at least workable service.

I love the idea of the smart meter but the practice, at least with OVO, fails to live up to the hype.
Hey @CraigM

We already have a topic created on this so I've moved your query over - you might find some information in here to help.

If you'd like us to chase up what's going on in regards to an appointment, send us a PM on Facebook with your full name, DoB and account number.

Thanks,
Emma
Hi, can you send me a PM to get this process moving. Thanks
OVO installed smart meters two and a half years ago and could never read them. I subsequently moved to British Gas who confirmed that they would not be able to read them. Now back with OVO and nothing has changed. What a waste time and money.
Userlevel 7
This sorted in the end @CraigM :? Able to offer @DavidY some advice? How about you @KevinT @GDM @Trucker @Mayflower @AmandaS :?
Hi
Been told to wait 3 months to see if it magicly starts working on its own again.
In the meantime to submit meter readings by phone or email as i cannot do it online as i have smart meters fitted.
I find it a joke and it is if i have gone back a step rather than forward, think it worked for two months.
Should have stayed as i was
This sorted in the end @CraigM :? Able to offer @DavidY some advice? How about you @KevinT @GDM @Trucker @Mayflower @AmandaS :?

Sadly no, I'm waiting for an engineer to become available in my area. Apparently, i'm NOW a "priority". It does kind of redefine the word "priority" since it's been at least 6 months since I raised the issue and 8 months since i've actually been able to read the meter. As I've already stated via PM's with OVO staff , OVO have until the end of January then i'm changing suppliers. I bet a get a reading then, albeit a final one and I have no idea how they'll get it since the meter has zero power.
This sorted in the end @CraigM :? Able to offer @DavidY some advice? How about you @KevinT @GDM @Trucker @Mayflower @AmandaS :? Yes I can give @DavidY some advice. Go old school, read your meter and supply it online, and don't expect any decent level of customer service with OVO. I don't care if the Smart Meter Engineers are subcontracted to OVO, I pay my bill to OVO so it's still their responsibility to ensure the engineers are doing what OVO expect of them.
Userlevel 7

Hope this works @KevinT

@CraigM you've waited long enough - send us a message on Facebook, Twitter and our Help centre has online chat!, and we can chase up an engineer visit.

Tim

Hope this works @KevinT

@CraigM you've waited long enough - send us a message on Facebook, Twitter and our Help centre has online chat!, and we can chase up an engineer visit.

Tim

Had a call yesterday and an engineers booked in for Friday morning. Hopefully they'll turn up and be able to fix\swap it on the day. Don't need to get put back in the queue.

Userlevel 1
We have had a smart meter and an IHD for a while and reported that the WAN light was not flashing, it was on solid.
An engineer came out on the 19th Jan and said the installer did not set it right, they set it to external antenna which it hadn't got. He changed it to internal antenna and the WAN light started flashing (3 flashes then off then 3 flashes etc) I then get a letter yesterday dated the 25th saying its lost communication. I rang and was told that the smart team would check but as far as he could see they were not getting readings. I gave the reading but note that i cannot now give readings on the website as its greyed out so now i dont know whats happening as no one called from the smart team.
To me the IHD is a waste of time as it doesn't reset after a statement, it just accumulates the cost. I hope the website will at least give an idea as at the moment its just showing estimates and im in credit by £69 after i submitted a reading on the 17th Jan.

Trouble is now i don't know whether i'll need an external antenna or not, the engineer said not, OVO say i may? Im left in limbo and want to build a wooden box around the electric meters to hide the horrible things.