Pinned Solved

Smart meters - are they safe?

I am having a Smart meter installed next week. Last week, I was perturbed to hear that there have been incidents of the meters not being installed correctly and properties catching fire as a result. I need to know that my meter will be installed properly before I proceed. Also, will there be a different Smart meter tariff to the one I presently have?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 15 August 2017, 16:13

I am having a Smart meter installed next week. Last week, I was perturbed to hear that there have been incidents of the meters not being installed correctly and properties catching fire as a result. I need to know that my meter will be installed properly before I proceed. Also, will there be a different Smart meter tariff to the one I presently have?

Hey LizW,

The smart meters we use at OVO are extremely safe and so far, we’ve installed just over 500,000 smart meters. They are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation, which means they’ve undergone rigorous testing to make sure they are stable and secure.

I hope you don't mind but I've also added tags and amended the title of your topic slightly so that other users can find it more easily.

**Updated 11/07/2019**

You'll find some further info here.

Lucy
View original

13 replies

I am getting concerned that Smart Meters are not safe. Having read articles stating that thjese meters have or are causing health issues, should I consider it being removed? http://juicing-for-health.com/smart-meters-emf-radiation?t=LT
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I am getting concerned that Smart Meters are not safe. Having read articles stating that thjese meters have or are causing health issues, should I consider it being removed? http://juicing-for-health.com/smart-meters-emf-radiation?t=LT

Hi @clarkedale welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

From what i gather the health risks of having a smart meter is minimal as they use the same signal structure and network as a mobile phone and these are proven to be pretty safe to use.

What is it causing greatest concern for you?
Hi @clarkedale welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

From what i gather the health risks of having a smart meter is minimal as they use the same signal structure and network as a mobile phone and these are proven to be pretty safe to use.

What is it causing greatest concern for you?

It is the reports feom people who have been suffering strange effects since installation. I personally have noticed sleep problems and headaches
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey LizW,

The smart meters we use at OVO are extremely safe and so far, we’ve installed just over 500,000 smart meters. They are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation, which means they’ve undergone rigorous testing to make sure they are stable and secure.

I hope you don't mind but I've also added tags and amended the title of your topic slightly so that other users can find it more easily.

**Updated 11/07/2019**

You'll find some further info here.

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey clarkedale,

Smart meters are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation, which requires manufacturers to ensure that any product placed on the market is safe. Public Health England (formerly The Health Protection Agency) provides advice and information on the health implications of smart meters, as it does for a range of technologies commonly found in homes and businesses across the UK.

Public Health England has advised that the evidence suggests that exposures to the radio waves produced by smart meters do not pose a risk to health.

I think you’d also find this article helpful. It’s taken from the Gov website, so it’s a very reliable source; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-meters-radio-waves-and-health/smart-meters-radio-waves-and-health

Hope this helps,
Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
It is the reports from people who have been suffering strange effects since installation. I personally have noticed sleep problems and headaches

Hi @clarkedale - I hope the info above has helped with any concerns you had :?

Just a quick message to advise you that I've moved your comments over to another topic on the same thing. That way other users can find all the info they need in the same place!

Tim
So many people are having smart meters fitted. Are they really smart people?
http://www.earthcalm.com/are-smart-meters-really-dangerous
Another link.
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/08/05/smart-meter-dangers.aspx

Important to also remember smart meters can be hacked with throughput to your other devices. Big brother agendas.
Userlevel 2
@NoiseMaker @clarkedale I have NOTHING to do with OVO or their smart meters, but I do have an understanding of physics. The articles that you link to are a load of bollocks, and all that these prove is that a putative author can have a reasonable degree of literacy to post a plausible article, but if the author has zero idea of the physics involved then the content can be rubbish.

The OVO SM uses standard 3G (just like any mobile phone) to communicate to OVO. (Big Clive on YouTube does a tear-down of one here) You probably have a few in your house, and if you sit in a train then you'll be surrounded by 100s of these. Likewise the communication to the user display uses standard Wifi, and again you will be surrounded by 100s of such devices if you live in an urban environment.

Your body is continually bathed in electromagnetic radiation (like sunshine) and body flesh is largely transparent to many wavelengths, so these pass straight through you without being absorbed -- like the GHz frequencies in mobile comms and WiFi. What you have to avoid is exposing yourself to high doses of those frequncies that water (in particular) does absorb as this will dump energy into your internal organs and heat you up -- so don't disable the safety switch on your microwave oven and stick your head into it, for example.

You also need to be a bit wary of ionising radiation, so wear some sunscreen or protective covering in bright sunshine, etc. but mobile and Wiifi wavelengths aren't ionising as their wavelength is too long (a physics thing).

If you really want to freak out then just remember that about 65,000,000,000 neutrinos pass through every cm² of your skin every second of your life, and that some of the electromagnetic radiation passing through your body has been traveling for over 14 Bn years to get to you.

My tl;dr is that just like the stuff coming from a smart meter, this goes straight through you, so just relax and accept that this is how nature works.
It's very easy to dismiss things when you've been brainwashed by msm and the establishment. 😁https://www.newstarget.com/2018-07-25-evidence-is-undeniable-smart-meters-cause-massive-changes-to-the-heart.html
Userlevel 2
It's very easy to dismiss things when you've been brainwashed by msm and the establishment.
🤣 I had to look up what MSM means. Nah, more just a Q of understanding physics.
Cognitive dissonance 😁
No expert at all on hearts physics or smart meters....

But regarding the EGK / smart meter article. It seems highly plausible to me that the test is erroneous. By the fact that it's likely the EGK is not detecting a change in the heart but it's reading the interference from the meter. As in the smart meter interfered with the EKG which changed the reading, not the heart.

For example - Nurses have to be careful when taking ECG's for this reason.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nursing/practice/resources/cardiology/interferance/electrical.php
As they are very sensitive pieces of kit..... A relative of mine had to get onto a bed to have his ECG done as his electric wheelchair was creating too much noise. Well, at least the nurse said she couldn't get a good reading, she thought it was the wheelchair, requested he transferred to a bed and then it worked.
The way a EGK works is by measuring a very small electrical wave pulsating towards the skin. The EGK picks that wave up. It's not secret that phones, smartmeters emit RF, an EGK functions like a RF meter.

TerryE seems knowledgeable enough to answer a question thats been bugging me. OR anyone else out there?
Do you remember in the earlier days when mobile phones used to interfere with devices? Speakers / TV's you could sometimes here some kind of signal noise through the speaker before a text arrived? Why does that not happen any more? Are the phones working 'cleaner'? or the devices (TV's etc) shielded better? I'm particularly curious as ever since my smart meter was installed I get that same noise through my PC 5.1 audio
system a few times a day. I speaker setup and meter are on adjacent walls. Just curious what's going on with that. If anyone could be so kind to take the time to let me know. Audio cables can essentially act like an antenna. I get that. But i'm curious why this stopped happening with mobile phone interference... My guess would be the phones transmit cleaner? But it's possibly that newer devices (tv's / audio) are more shielded. As one would suggest the smart meter is operating like a 15 year old mobile did.... the other would just put it down on the 5.1 being so close to the meter and not being sufficiently shielded. I'm not sure which would be the case.