Solved

Smart Meters and power cuts - do they need to be reset?

• 16 November 2017
  • 3 replies

I understand that after a power cut Ovo Smart Meters need to be reset manually for power to be restored to the house.
So if one is away from the house for some time, say on holiday or for work, the refrigeration/ freezer will not be restored and neither will the heating system function.
Added to that the Ovo meters are not interchangeable with other suppliers so one is not able to leave Ovo without additional problems.
If what I have described is correct why would anyone ever fit a Smart Meter?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 19 December 2017, 16:37

Hey felixmax25,

If there is a power cut in your area, then you’d need to call 105 the powercut helpline number. To get your meters back on supply you would just need to press AAB on each meter using the keypad. 

Take a look at this topic where you can see a list of suppliers who can communicate with our SMETS1 meters. 

Hope this helps,
Lucy

Updated on 18/02/20

View original

3 replies

I’ve had a few power cuts and also have a smart meter for both supply’s but have not had to manually reset the meter once the power is restored?

This sounds like a feature for prepayment customers, and will happen whenever the supply is disconnected (power cut or running out of credit).
Thanks Ste2317.
My information came from a non technical OVO source. I am unable to find any real OVO engineers who can give me a proper description of their meters and their functioning. I would not install a meter until I had a written assurance that the meters do automatically restore the power supply.
A friend, who is with another supplier, was about to have an engineer install a smart meter and when this topic came up in conversation and the meter limitations were explained he stopped the fitting immediately. He is often away from home and so this obviously would not work.
OVO apparently do not have technical people available to speak with customers.
Good luck.
Derek
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey felixmax25,

If there is a power cut in your area, then you’d need to call 105 the powercut helpline number. To get your meters back on supply you would just need to press AAB on each meter using the keypad. 

Take a look at this topic where you can see a list of suppliers who can communicate with our SMETS1 meters. 

Hope this helps,
Lucy

Updated on 18/02/20