Solved

Smart meter not communicating - how long will I be waiting for a fix?

Has anyone else had issues where their new smart meters have been installed but not communicating at all, nothing being shown on display?
In contact with OVO (4days ago) they confirmed it was a meter issue and would be in contact, still waiting for the call, and means another day staying in for the engineer, get a grip OVO.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 20 March 2019, 18:21

Hi @chris.fordy,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had so far following your smart meter installation.

There could be a couple of reasons why it's not in communication with us, and the resolution will vary for each.

If you'd like us to check up on what the intended fix is going to be, and how long this may take, drop us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB: m.me/ovoenergy

Thanks
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @chris.fordy,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had so far following your smart meter installation.

There could be a couple of reasons why it's not in communication with us, and the resolution will vary for each.

If you'd like us to check up on what the intended fix is going to be, and how long this may take, drop us a message on Facebook with your account number, full name and DoB: m.me/ovoenergy

Thanks
Long story short, had the original smart meters fitted but after a month they stopped communicating and didn't send readings back and I complained, was told to manually submit readings.
Got another call to have smart meters fitted told the guy I already had them and didn't work, he then says "but these are 2nd generation and I will guarantee they will work and they are free fitting so you cant lose"
Had them fitted by the same engineer who fitted the first ones who thought it strange.
Guess what..... they don't communicate and I am back to submitting my readings manually.
I complained and was told they take time to adjust and send information back never happened.
I think the last time I got any communication from OVO was they were going to take them out and put old style meters back in... Which has never happened..
So as I work away alot I don't always get the right day to submit my readings so get estimates and have since been told to increase my monthly payment by £30.
What is going to happen to the smart meters I have, will they be replaced again?
Userlevel 5
It's strange that we suggested getting a SMETS2 meter installed, @KevinT. Take a look at Nancy's best answer for more information about this and what we need to do.
It is all a bit strange after not communicating for approx two years I have just checked my meter readings and a reading is being sent everyday, although at the top of the readings page it says next meter reading due on the 18th.
It would be good customer service to tell people that something that didn't work now does, as like I said in my original post the last I heard they were going to be removed but now they work... But for how long??
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @KevinT - that really is quite strange. Unfortunately it's hard to give you any assurance on this without looking into your account. If you want anything checking over, I'd recommend calling the team on 0330 303 5063 and they'll be able to offer further advice.
I think I will have to call at some point as the readings stop on the 2nd of May. So it looks like the smart meters have done a month and stopped.
Be interesting to see how my next bill is calculated.
i would like to complain I had a smart metre fitted end of March to make things easier now I’m been told it’s not sending readings I sent an email for someone to come and look at it but have not had any response yet I really need to sort this out as i would also like to calculate any refund please respond promtly
Hi all, I've had a smart meter installed on 24th April. It's not been taking readings on gas and electricity together since. First it was sending electirc readings but not gas, and now sending gas but not electric.
The My OVO app doesn't allow me to put readings in cos it says I have a smart meters.
Are they ever going to work properly and how do I submit readings if My OVO won't let me.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
my smart meter stopped sending meter readings to ovo on the 14th may.
the home display has also stopped displaying anything.
says it is waiting for info from meter.
what can I do?
emailed details and photo to ovo.
Userlevel 5
i would like to complain I had a smart metre fitted end of March to make things easier now I’m been told it’s not sending readings I sent an email for someone to come and look at it but have not had any response yet I really need to sort this out as i would also like to calculate any refund please respond promtly

Sorry to hear this, @Mac. Take a look at Nancy's best answer for more help with this.

Hi all, I've had a smart meter installed on 24th April. It's not been taking readings on gas and electricity together since. First it was sending electirc readings but not gas, and now sending gas but not electric.
The My OVO app doesn't allow me to put readings in cos it says I have a smart meters.
Are they ever going to work properly and how do I submit readings if My OVO won't let me.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

It sounds like your meter isn't communicating with us. @pravp12, we'll need to do a smart meter health check to determine the issue. Take a look at Nancy's best answer for more info.

my smart meter stopped sending meter readings to ovo on the 14th may.
the home display has also stopped displaying anything.
says it is waiting for info from meter.
what can I do?
emailed details and photo to ovo.

If you've spoken to the team about this, then they should get back to you within 48 hours about this!