Solved

Smart meter battery died after only 3 years - has anyone else experienced this?

• 5 June 2019
  • 8 replies

has anybody had a smart meter fail on them .MIne did this morning battreys were only 3 years old was told they would last 10 years .they came and swapped meter no probs just enqiuring if anyone else had this problem
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 7 June 2019, 16:12

Hi @richard1966,

In rare instances it's possible for the battery to run out sooner that the expected 10 year lifespan.

Do you mean that both meters (gas and electricity) cut off at the same time? If so - that's odd. The electricity should just be hooked up to the mains so it wouldn't cut off. The gas runs off a battery though, so this will eventually wear out.

Thanks
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @richard1966,

In rare instances it's possible for the battery to run out sooner that the expected 10 year lifespan.

Do you mean that both meters (gas and electricity) cut off at the same time? If so - that's odd. The electricity should just be hooked up to the mains so it wouldn't cut off. The gas runs off a battery though, so this will eventually wear out.

Thanks
yes battery died on me seems to be working alot better now
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @richard1966 - glad to hear it's sorted! Did you get the meter replaced?
yes got meter replaced thank you now working better than before thank to all of you at ovo and the meter fitting team
Userlevel 5
Badge
Great to hear, @richard1966, thanks for getting back to us ☺
My gas meter is saying battery fail why?
I have had no gas since friday evening, I tried to call a number of time just be told you are closed! I finally get thought today, after waiting 3hrs for a call back I was told they could not find my account and that I'm with eon, I call Eon who confirm again im with ovo! So I call back again to be told AGAIN you are now closed! Iv had no gas for 4 days now. I find it unbelievable that every other company is open apart from you. Once I have sorted this problem is your every open to do so, I'll be changing companies!
Userlevel 5
Hey @Jimmy ward,

The battery in your gas meter can fail at any time, it's likely your gas supply would've been disconnected - you'll need to call the team about this to arrange a meter exchange. They're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.

I have had no gas since friday evening, I tried to call a number of time just be told you are closed! I finally get thought today, after waiting 3hrs for a call back I was told they could not find my account and that I'm with eon, I call Eon who confirm again im with ovo! So I call back again to be told AGAIN you are now closed! Iv had no gas for 4 days now. I find it unbelievable that every other company is open apart from you. Once I have sorted this problem is your every open to do so, I'll be changing companies!

I'm sorry to hear you've been left off supply for so long, @Trula. Our team are available 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063, you'll need to give them a call ASAP to get this sorted.