Solved

Smart gas meter not communicating, can I use WiFi instead of mobile signal?

• 16 December 2017
  • 1 reply

Been with Ovo for a few years, was happy providing readings on my app every month. Smart meters fitted in Jan this year, Lowri Beck engineer didn’t commission the gas for the smart reader to work, so had to wait until April for the return of an engineer and the commissioning.

All working fine until this November, the gas now doesn’t communicate to the electric (even though nothing has changed position). After some emailing and calling Ovo, I now have another Lowri Beck appointment (to fit an ariel) but not until February... meanwhile the app won’t let me give a meter reading as it thinks I have ‘smart’ meters!

Can I not buy an IHD that uses my WiFi instead? Currently I have the rather pointless Pipit thing.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 19 December 2017, 17:43

Been with Ovo for a few years, was happy providing readings on my app every month. Smart meters fitted in Jan this year, Lowri Beck engineer didn’t commission the gas for the smart reader to work, so had to wait until April for the return of an engineer and the commissioning.

All working fine until this November, the gas now doesn’t communicate to the electric (even though nothing has changed position). After some emailing and calling Ovo, I now have another Lowri Beck appointment (to fit an ariel) but not until February... meanwhile the app won’t let me give a meter reading as it thinks I have ‘smart’ meters!

Can I not buy an IHD that uses my WiFi instead? Currently I have the rather pointless Pipit thing.

Thanks

As the meters work off the mobile signal, buying a In Home Display and trying to connect it to the WiFi won’t work. Hopefully the aerial will boost the signal and it will mean we can get communication with your smart meters.

Lucy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks

As the meters work off the mobile signal, buying a In Home Display and trying to connect it to the WiFi won’t work. Hopefully the aerial will boost the signal and it will mean we can get communication with your smart meters.

Lucy