Solved

Should I be suspicious of Smart Meters?

I am suspicious of Smart Meters. Should I be or not?
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 11 October 2018, 20:08

Hi @DavidH, welcome to the forum!

This is intriguing..... suspicious in what way?

I was initially suspicious of my smart Gas Meter when it was installed, as I was using a tiny amount of Gas in the summer even when I was not in the hours for 24 hours.

See the thread here, turns out my boiler uses a tiny amount of gas, even when it is not being used...
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-statement-and-charges-80/using-gas-whilst-away-how-is-this-possible-888/

One thing is for sure, without a Smart Meter, it would not have been so easy to work this out.

I have just done a comparison of two 12 month periods.

March 2016 to March 2017
This was with NPower and using a traditional meter.
Electricity usage was 2,403 kWh at a cost of £326.33
Gas usage was 5,682 kWh at a cost of £199.55

October 2017 to October 2018
This was with OVO and using a Smart Meter.
Electricity usage was 2,412 kWh at a cost of £363.80
Gas usage was 6,782kWh at a cost of £255.50

So electricity used seems pretty close really... Gas was higher, but then I remember using the heating more in the last 12 months as we had some really cold spells.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @DavidH, welcome to the forum!

This is intriguing..... suspicious in what way?

I was initially suspicious of my smart Gas Meter when it was installed, as I was using a tiny amount of Gas in the summer even when I was not in the hours for 24 hours.

See the thread here, turns out my boiler uses a tiny amount of gas, even when it is not being used...
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-statement-and-charges-80/using-gas-whilst-away-how-is-this-possible-888/

One thing is for sure, without a Smart Meter, it would not have been so easy to work this out.

I have just done a comparison of two 12 month periods.

March 2016 to March 2017
This was with NPower and using a traditional meter.
Electricity usage was 2,403 kWh at a cost of £326.33
Gas usage was 5,682 kWh at a cost of £199.55

October 2017 to October 2018
This was with OVO and using a Smart Meter.
Electricity usage was 2,412 kWh at a cost of £363.80
Gas usage was 6,782kWh at a cost of £255.50

So electricity used seems pretty close really... Gas was higher, but then I remember using the heating more in the last 12 months as we had some really cold spells.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Not sure why you should be suspicious. If anything, It's a fantastic bit of kit! It is nice to be able to see how much energy you are consuming at a glance.

If you currently do not have a smart meter installed with OVO. You can arrange for it to be installed by going to the following link.

https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit?utm_source=ovoenergy.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=product_page1
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @DavidH - more info here if you need it:
https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/smart-meter-safety

Cheers
I got a smart meter installed in September and I’ve had nothing but trouble since the installation. I live in a 1 bedroom flat and my bills were usually around £50 a month and got up to £90 in the summer but that’s because we ran a high end air conditioning unit in the summer. Our old meter broke and we were offered the smart meter so we took it. The first day my storage heaters stopped working and so did my water heater which only worked with the boost. OVO recommended getting an electrician out to fix it but after pushing them that I wasn’t getting an electrician out they figured out that they messed the rates up.

the first couple of months I didn’t receive statements and had to chase them for it several times so I was charged 3 months worth of bills in one month so had a huge bill. However I noticed my bills had doubled Sometimes tripled and I wasn’t using anything power draining than I previously was, I knew the prices had gone up but wasn’t expecting that. In the mean time I got random emails saying my statement was ready even though I never got statements. Also all my readings were messed up too the online account was giving me different information than the app saying that I was giving meter readings even though my smart meter is doing that for me too.

even till this day I’m still having trouble with my bills they haven’t gone down and I’m having problems with my night rate which seems to be using more than my night rate. Last month was around £30 during the day and £70 at night. Also on my statement it shows what I used this time last year I used 91kwh and this year 913kwh. I liked OVO their customer service was great and their prices were too but and I never had any problems with them till I got the smart meter installed. Anyone else been having similar problems?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sorry to hear this, @Harvey1812. It's quite normal for it to take a month of two to receive your first statement after having a smart meter installed. This is due to needing to update the meter details on your account.

Depending on how you heat your home, we might expect night time electricity usage to be more. If you have storage heaters, they normally use electricity during the off peak hours to store heat for when you need it.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings