Not so "Smart" Meters - had mine removed

1) The so called "Smart" meter I had fitted in October had 12 buttons, you had to know which one to press in order to get any readings.

2) I received no information from OVO that the meter would cease to be a meter ie to display the meter ready in an easily recognisable form. It was jumbled into a mass of number costs and standing charges so that I had to stand on top of a 3m ladder and take a video because it was not possible to identify the actual meter reading and even once you had there was insufficient time to take it down before the next number flashed up.

3) The "in house monitor" where all that info should have been going did NOT include the one central piece of information ie the meter reading so with neither peice of kit could I check the meter reading going to OVO.

3b) The in house monitor was so bright we had to change our sleeping arrangements and was completely superfluous when you have a computer and when the reading is being sent automatically. What a waste of electricity and of all the oil used to manufacture the plastic.

3c) The ONE piece of information that was lacking is the ONLY peice of information t hat is actually important ie the ac tual meter reading

4) I asked the fitter to check my reasoning (with an engineering Masters degree) and he agreed this was not only (mis) behaving in exactl;y the way I describe but b) he had never seen anything like it.

4b) He showed me the others in his van for the "big six" and it was clear that they did nto have 12 buttons and that it was SIMPLE to read the meter (and take a photo of t he reading (for shared bills).

5) Now they are charging me £160 + £80 for the removal & replacement for a so called smart meter because I want to monitor my energy usage and cannot do so with the equipment that Ovo supply.

The fitter also said there is no way he is having one fitted in his own house UNTIL at least specification SMET2, which hasnt been rolled out yet.

6) I watched the TV ad again to see who is telling us to fit them when they are clearly NOT ready..only that was not included in the advert, which may even be against the law. I have complained to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) and the call handlers aid we are getting LOADS of complaints about Smart Meters...go figure that!

I think this is Govt wanting an out come and pushing it even when the technology is inadequate.

I am on low income and I cant afford not to track my energy careful (as I have done monthly for 15+ years) so I had to have it taken out I cant afford £200 either but I cant afford to subject myself to random mistakes of energy suppliers.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
I'll be saying no to smart meters after investigating their use for a few years. Should the government try to make them manditory there will be a huge outcry. We must fight these dangerous and big brother agenda spies. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/08/05/smart-meter-dangers.aspx
I'll NEVER be forced into getting one of these so called "Smart Meters".

I'm smart enough (well over 70) to know how to monitor and control my electric and gas useage.

All the reading here and elsewhere have verified to us all who have shunned these stupid meters that weare the "Smart" ones.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The joy with smart meters (I will be having one myself) is you can opt out and refuse one very easily.

Please rest assured no one will be forced to take one :)

The choice is entirely yours 🙂

Best wishes.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I was "forced" to have an electric smart meter installed after I got solar panels fitted - because the old meter ran backwards when my panels were generating and putting energy back into the system.
Userlevel 4
Badge
On the whole I've been happy with my smart meters. I was never very good at remembering to submit meter readings regularly, and I much prefer not to have to do this any more.
My biggest gripe is that they're so hard to read and may lose their 'smartness' if you change to another supplier, so I feel 'tied' to Ovo until such time as the meters can supply readings to all suppliers.
I keep a close eye on what I use, via the website, and once the readings were actually reaching Ovo (which took a couple of months from when the meters were installed), I've had no problem with them, and I have no reason to doubt their accuracy. I can see how my usage changes throughout the year, and also from year to year.

My biggest gripe is that they're so hard to read and may lose their 'smartness' if you change to another supplier, so I feel 'tied' to Ovo until such time as the meters can supply readings to all suppliers.

There's a few companies that use the same Secure meters and you can swap between most of them and keep the smart features. So don't feel that you are tied to OVO. I for one am waiting on the SMETS2 rollout before getting one to be sure though.

Octopus Energy for one list the following that they can accept over to them - "We use the same Secure brand meter as Utilita, First Utility, OVO, E.ON, and Bristol Energy, so if it's from one of them, it'll work."
Userlevel 4
Badge
Yes I have investigated compatible alternatives. But I suppose I really want the real-time and historic usage information as well. Preferably via an API or download facility. While I was getting good real-time granular data from Ovo none else was providing anything nearly as good. Now that Ovo have abandoned the live usage graphs, I should really look around again.
Octopus are trying to be technology first and have an API, but AFAIK they don't include 'real time' usage data. Maybe fire them a message. Although they seem to have outsourced the API dev work from speaking to their CTO, so I wouldn't hold your breath on them implementing it any time soon, unless there is some money to be had from it - ie some benefit it brings that will bring them a lot more customers.
Octopus are trying to be technology first and have an API, but AFAIK they don't include 'real time' usage data. Maybe fire them a message. Although they seem to have outsourced the API dev work from speaking to their CTO, so I wouldn't hold your breath on them implementing it any time soon, unless there is some money to be had from it - ie some benefit it brings that will bring them a lot more customers.

The Octopus API provides half hourly data up to the previous midnight (GMT).
The Octopus API provides half hourly data up to the previous midnight (GMT).
That's good to know. I don't currently have a smart meter as I'm awaiting on SMETS2 or some more concrete evidence that SMETS1 will be made properly interoperable between suppliers, but I have just changed over to Octopus as they were a good couple of hundred pound cheaper a year for us after you add in extras like 100% renewable electric on OVO (all Octopus electric is 100% renewable) and the price increase this year from OVO made them less competitive. Looking forward to getting a SMETS2 meter and maybe trying out Octopus Agile rate and see if we can make any savings on that and the API will come in handy for monitoring. I currently use our home automation (Fibaro HC2), a Z-Wave meter reader and some scripting to track our usage, but an API will make it so much easier.